Does anyone have a fix for stress that isn't food?

Options

Replies

• iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, I quit the job that was making me miserable and more stressed than I ever plan to be again, and moved to East Africa. That cut my stress down SIGNIFICANTLY.

I realize that may not work for everyone, so I second what everyone else has posted. Minus cleaning. Cleaning actually stresses me more when im already stressed.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Guided breathing meditation.
    Chatterbox husband.
    Hot bubble bath.
    Good book.
    Crafting like knitting or crochet.
    Blog it. May or may not post it depending on how I feel in the morning.
    Update my resume and do some recreational job hunting.
    Run a successful prank.
  • Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Crocheting and gardening work for me.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Odd but effective stress relief: sleep, petting animals, writing positive thoughts in a journal, setting up a do-able home project, and playing video games that have a set goal/achievement emphasis.

Try to just "shake it off" and focus on the next step to your journey. Like any good adventure there will be some detours along the way! I too agree that a cheat meal is much more manageable that a whole cheat day.
  • egrant13
    egrant13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Awesome, everyone. Tons of great suggestions in here. Thank you so much! :)
  • Erinleigh13
    Erinleigh13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    boxing
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I pamper myself on weeks like that , shopping or going for a pedicure
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I go to the dojo and attack people... often with sticks. It makes me feel much better.

Of course these are people who are perfectly happy to be attacked with weapons and they do get to take their turn as well. Can't just go about hitting random people with sticks. It's frowned upon...or so I hear.

The really nice thing about this is it counts as exercise. So after 2 hours of workout I have more than enough calories available for that piece of chocolate. :)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Run for me. However the flip side is if I can't run I get stressed!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    cardio usually improves my mood, it doesn't tend to make me more irritable. anything outside especially.

using music tends to amp up good vibes, come to think of it. think of a playlist with upbeat songs.

are you getting enough sleep? i use carby treats to compensate for ****** sleep sometimes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    egrant13 wrote: »
    What do you guys use besides food to improve your mood?

Sleep more

Walk to the beach and walk along the beach listening to the waves ... there's just something really soothing about the waves (that was the first thing I did when I got the message in January that I might have breast cancer and they wanted me in for immediate testing)

Cycle ... long, long ride

Do something different. Perhaps try a different cycling or walking route. Or maybe go swimming. Perhaps plan a weekend away. Or check through the events on in my local area and pick one to go to.

Curl up on the sofa and watch sitcoms and British mystery shows while "processing" the myriad of photos I take.

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I found my zen on the mats training mma. Tho I've also been known when it gets really bad to pull out a push mower and mow my yard or walk till I need a ride home.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Exercise of any kind. Walking, running, weight lifting, anything. I am a huge stress/emotional eater and while it's taken time, I've started turning to exercise instead of food in times of stress. It's so much better, and helps way more than food does.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    definitely sex
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Very strenuous activity....IE: run intervals, build up to running straight. It solved my stress issues instantly (no stress after a run)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Beating the ever loving crap out of a punching bag, lifting weights, and HIIT usually tire me out.

Oh, i also enjoy doing de-stressing stuff like lighting candles and drawing a bubble bath, listening to calming music, and meditation.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sex

Second to that..long walk
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sex, definitely sex.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options