Kids and calorie counting

Options
ahoy_m8
ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
A post this week about hiding the food scale from family got me thinking about the example we set for kids, which has also been a forum topic from time to time. I'm interested in how others have handled the issue and how it came up in their families. Kids' health is their parents' responsibility, and increasingly, kids' weight harms their health. A lot of damage gets done with how parents handle it, though. (My mother was a projecting emotional eating wreck. Lots o baggage.) It's made me super sensitive about how I handle it with my 3 teen daughters. What has been your experience, good or bad?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I almost posted the same thing because of that thread. I had an eating disorder that began in my head around 7 years old, physically manifested around 11 years old, and continued until I was pregnant at 25.

I began therapy when I was pregnant because I was terrified that I would pass on these issues to my daughter (who is now 7 years old). I do weigh my foods, and I've explained to her how to read nutrition labels, the importance of eating a variety of vegetables and getting enough protein, portion sizes, occasional treats vs. everyday foods, etc. She's seen me use the food scale and really just thinks it's a nifty tool...for the time being.

I think I focus a lot on health instead of weight, and I never let her see me weigh myself. The issues never really went away for me, but they became less important as time went on, and continued more self-work.

I really don't know if I'm projecting issues on her or not. I'm praying that it's the latter, but in the end, I don't think it would be the food scale itself that would do it. After all, kids see their parents bake and don't really think twice about measuring cups of flour.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a son who is currently over weight...is that my fault...nope.

He decides what he is going to eat and how much....I can't control that.

He is 21 btw and didn't get overweight until he left college. But I remember my mother telling me you shouldn't try to control kids and their eating. Provide them with healthy choices and demonstrate healthy eating the rest is up to them.

Mind you I was overweight most of his life...but I never talked about me being fat or that I needed to diet...even now he watches me...has decided to get healthy and asks for my advice...I do most of the cooking so he gets what he gets but I don't control how much that is up to him.

Kids are smart and don't just watch us...they watch friends, friends parents, tv, internet etc...so remember 75% of the influence isn't yours.
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

My family growing up was the typical on-the-go, fast food eating, meals from a box, very little fresh foods family. My mom was always on some diet, yo-yoing in weight, always concerned what others thought of her, etc...My dad was/is heavily addicted to sugar and caffeine. He'd eat a whole box of little debbie snacks in one evening. I vowed from a very young age to not be that way and to make everything from scratch for my family and teach my monsters, er kids, how to live healthy, be happy, and confident.

My kids, ages 3 and 5, help me prep food for our meals (no knives for them, except butter knives), including weighing out food if needed and limited cooking (mainly placing stuff in dishes and putting in cold oven...but they feel like they're cooking hehe). I'm a firm believer in teaching our kids to be healthy from a young age. We are a grain free, mostly dairy free, non-gmo, anti-processed foods family. Before my entire family joined this lifestyle, I was the first to give it a go and didn't hide my meals, prepping or scales from them. My husband would poke fun at me a little for weighing and eating "gross green foods", my oldest would join in on the banter from time to time, but it didn't deter me from continuing on. I made the process fun for my kids and they were the first to join me, then my hubby started seeing my results (weightloss and a couple illnesses healing) and he decided to join in with us. We've never felt better. Be a shining example for those you love and they will eventually ask you questions and possibly follow :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 yo and I've been using a kitchen scale and counting calories for a year now. and now my husband is doing the same. Sometimes the scale is on the kitchen table and I measure stuff as I put it on my plate. Sometimes it's on the counter and she doesn't see me using it. When she asked what it was for I explained to her that I was working on eating less because I was eating too much and it was unhealthy. Measuring my food was a good way for me to keep track of it all. She said "okay" and then we moved on to another subject. I don't really talk about it other than that and she doesn't ask. She didn't even realize that I had lost any weight until a few months ago when she looked at some old pictures and noticed that I look a lot different now.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    gash14 wrote: »
    My family growing up was the typical on-the-go, fast food eating, meals from a box, very little fresh foods family. My mom was always on some diet, yo-yoing in weight, always concerned what others thought of her, etc...My dad was/is heavily addicted to sugar and caffeine. He'd eat a whole box of little debbie snacks in one evening. I vowed from a very young age to not be that way and to make everything from scratch for my family and teach my monsters, er kids, how to live healthy, be happy, and confident.

My kids, ages 3 and 5, help me prep food for our meals (no knives for them, except butter knives), including weighing out food if needed and limited cooking (mainly placing stuff in dishes and putting in cold oven...but they feel like they're cooking hehe). I'm a firm believer in teaching our kids to be healthy from a young age. We are a grain free, mostly dairy free, non-gmo, anti-processed foods family. Before my entire family joined this lifestyle, I was the first to give it a go and didn't hide my meals, prepping or scales from them. My husband would poke fun at me a little for weighing and eating "gross green foods", my oldest would join in on the banter from time to time, but it didn't deter me from continuing on. I made the process fun for my kids and they were the first to join me, then my hubby started seeing my results (weightloss and a couple illnesses healing) and he decided to join in with us. We've never felt better. Be a shining example for those you love and they will eventually ask you questions and possibly follow :smiley:

That was very insightful of you, though! I think some kids who grow up this way do not think there is anything wrong with it. You sound like you are doing the right thing with your family. Good job!

I agree with what the first 2 responders to this thread said, as well. I think teaching kids about measuring food, reading labels, nutrition, etc. does not in itself set them up for eating disorders or a bad relationship with food. I think it is more about our attitudes towards weight and appearance OUTSIDE of the kitchen. Teaching food facts is just that: facts; no emotions attached.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've tried to make sure my kids understand that the reason I've had to put the effort into losing weight was due to poor decisions I made over time. And I encourage them to be active, and eat a variety of foods, think about their food choices. While I don't want them 'counting calories' I also don't want them mindless eating.

I have a son who is about to be 17. Not nearly as active as he should be, and has had some bad eating habits. Have talked to him about keeping sweets in reasonable amounts, being more active, etc. I see some progress as he seems to be making an effort to eat reasonable amounts at meals, and less overeating just because its there.

I have daughters 13 & 15. They are both in normal/healthy ranges according to doctor checkups. The 13 is probably a little on the high end, the 15 on the low end. The 15 year old is also more active. My 13 year old is still very interested in doing things with parents, and while it lasts, I aim to take advantage. Hubby & I plan to run the Peachtree Road Race (10k, will probably alternate running/walking) and offered all the kids to join. My youngest one took us up on it. We are about to get started on a training program - doing 'group' runs on Saturday mornings and each doing 2-3 runs otherwise during the week.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I grew up with a mum who cooked everything from scratch, we always had wholemeal bread, skim milk etc. I didn't try a take-away until I was in my 2nd year of university. I'm 37 now and have been to a fast food place like McDonald's, KFC etc maybe 15 times in my entire life.

Unfortunately I was overweight as teenager and lost it all at university. I'm not sure why I was overweight as I don't remember eating much. I can remember calorie counting at about fourteen and not eating much at all, and I was pretty active, walking the mile to and from school, playing badminton, cycling at the weekend etc.

I have 3 children now, they're nearly 6, nearly 4 and nearly 1 (ok, not great planning having 2 May babies and a June baby) and the older 2 ad aware of what's healthy and what isn't. My eldest talked about healthy eating at school last year, and ever since then he's talked about it and taken interest, so then my middle one has too. I wouldn't talk about calories with them and they have no idea that I count calories or weigh food.

They eat the same meals we eat. Their favourite meals are fish or chicken and veg, or jacket potato and tuna. My 3 year old snacks on apples with peanut butter, and she will try anything. We do allow them treats of course, and they know treats are fine occasionally.

We're also very active. We live by the sea, so the seafront is the perfect place to go on their scooters. They can easily walk/scoot 5 miles, and they don't complain.

My dad is overweight (well, obese) and they're very aware of grandad having a big tummy. My 3 year old said she's going to tell grandad to do some exercise.

I think the best way is to lead by example and hope it sticks with them. I know mine are still young so not as influenced by their friends yet, and we don't really watch TV (just YouTube, Netflix) so they're not subjected to advertising, so luckily have no idea that McDonald's and similar exist.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you're making sure they get what they need as far as nutrition, there's nothing wrong with making sure you know what portions they're eating. Don't give them a complex about it the same way you shouldn't give them a complex about not eating enough either, though. My family is the typical 'here have seconds and thirds even though you've said five times you're full' type of people. My father is a 3x size for his clothes and a type 2 diabetic because of it. He's trying to lose but for the most part continues eating what he wants and never says it out loud but I know he wonders why he isn't losing weight as fast as he could. Healthy habits are easier to start young.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    For me the discussion started when my most athletic one asked how to get 6-pack abs when she was 13. I told her then restricting foods was inappropriate because she was still growing, but the first step would be to track protein to get enough, and we calculated what enough was for her. It felt good to me that her first effort at diet awareness would be to get enough of something vs restricting. She found MFP on her own and started tracking it here. (It's how I found MFP, actually.) She competes at the national level in a sport where every pound counts (rock climbing, weird I know), and it was her coach who told her when she could start improving her condition with diet. I think that is when she started using MFP in earnest. I liked how he handled it and was kind of relieved, actually, to have "an outsider" guide her. (My mother-daughter baggage.) My daughter is lovely and has a spellbindingly good attitude towards everything and clearly carries more BF than the girls who beat her. Her sport, her choice. I stay out of it. She sometimes asks me the nutrition content of meals, and I send her the nutrition label for the recipe (my recipes all in nutritiondata.com), and that's it.

I have another who is barely overweight and one late bloomer, so the experience is remarkably different for each, FWIW.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    My son asks questions, I answer them, factually, not emotionally. I don't see it as any different than teaching him how to brush his teeth or wash his hair. He's learned about reading labels by going with me to the store, and doesn't think it's anything weird or obsessive. He goes through stages where he wants to learn to cook or bake, and helps me in the kitchen. Weighing ingredients is just part of the process, and not connected to the concept of "dieting."
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I didn't make a big deal of my weight loss journey but my husband keeps using the word 'diet'. After contemplating beating him about the head, I explained to my 8 yo daughter that it's not about a 'diet', it's about making better choices in my foods for health as I needed to make sure that I would be around for them for a long time (which I'm sure she'll appreciate for approximately 3 more years.) I didn't like how I felt before and now I feel better and am healthier. She accepts that and has gradually been trying more of the foods I make. It's about setting a good example and teaching by doing.

Now I've got my husband just about there to watching his weight - his clothes are starting to feel tight. I just rub my hands together in evil glee that I've almost got him hooked.

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've had food issues since I was a small child. I was diagnosed with ED-NOS (now OSFED) when I was 14 years old. My biggest fear is that my 4 year old daughter will turn out like me. I refuse to talk about weight, weight loss or calories around her. I enrolled her in soccer and she loves it. She's an active little lady and I want exercise to be a form of fun for her. I don't weigh myself while she is around. I cook healthy meals and stress the importance of eating a wide variety of foods. Treats are limited to once or twice a week. I don't force her to clean her plate. I tell her to eat until she is satisfied. I'm trying to do everything that my mom didn't do with me. I love my mom to death, but I come from a family of unhealthy foodies with no self-control.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    A scale is a tool, just like a knife or a food processor. My daughter has seen me use the scale to make soap, to make bread, to make cheese, to serve food, to measure brine ingredients for sausage.

She has also seen both myself and my husband exercise daily, and take the dogs for walks so that they can get exercise too.

She has concerns about fat, but it's mostly that we (and Grandma) have multiple dogs and they sometimes eat each other's food, or don't go on enough walks when they're elderly.

Theses are just facts she's memorized like the names of the planets and all the dinosaurs. Eat good food, exercise, if something is going wrong, check your math and estimates and make some changes.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dd is 15. She has always been below average weight for her age. At one point she worried about gaining weight. I've explained to her that it is normal for her to be gaining weight as she is still growing and developing. As long as she is not gaining excess amounts suddenly there is no reason for concern for her. We talked about how people have different body shapes and sizes and what is a healthy weight for her height. We have talked about balanced meals and how some foods and drinks we eat less of because they have less nutritional benefit. I have told her that people of any size benefit from regular moderate exercise. She joins me sometimes exercising.
    I've explained to my dd that I am overweight and want to get to a healthy weight by losing 1 lb a week. My dd has seen me eat normal foods in reasonable portions. We buy the same foods we always did. I haven't told the rest of the family they have to change their eating. She has seen my food diary and me using the scale. I think it is positive that she sees me losing weight by just keeping track of calories and exercising more. I don't beat myself up or binge. I don't get destroyed if the scale doesn't move every time.

If what you are doing is healthy weight loss then I don't think you really need to worry about your kids seeing what you are doing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My kids are 7, I weigh my food but I don't typically talk about weight or calories around them. We do talk about what's healthy and what's unhealthy to eat too much of though (I always say that nothing is unhealthy if you only have a bit of it).
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    dawnsnarks wrote: »
    I didn't make a big deal of my weight loss journey but my husband keeps using the word 'diet'. After contemplating beating him about the head, I explained to my 8 yo daughter that it's not about a 'diet', it's about making better choices in my foods for health as I needed to make sure that I would be around for them for a long time (which I'm sure she'll appreciate for approximately 3 more years.) I didn't like how I felt before and now I feel better and am healthier. She accepts that and has gradually been trying more of the foods I make. It's about setting a good example and teaching by doing.

Now I've got my husband just about there to watching his weight - his clothes are starting to feel tight. I just rub my hands together in evil glee that I've almost got him hooked.

Good for you. That is important. You may also note that we all use the word "diet" in different terms. I say "diet" when referring to what I eat, but I am not ON a diet. "Diet" to me is simply the foods I regularly eat.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    I've had food issues since I was a small child. I was diagnosed with ED-NOS (now OSFED) when I was 14 years old. My biggest fear is that my 4 year old daughter will turn out like me. I refuse to talk about weight, weight loss or calories around her. I enrolled her in soccer and she loves it. She's an active little lady and I want exercise to be a form of fun for her. I don't weigh myself while she is around. I cook healthy meals and stress the importance of eating a wide variety of foods. Treats are limited to once or twice a week. I don't force her to clean her plate. I tell her to eat until she is satisfied. I'm trying to do everything that my mom didn't do with me. I love my mom to death, but I come from a family of unhealthy foodies with no self-control.

Yes! Satisfied; NOT full. This is a key point.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think it depends on the age of your children. When I was little, my mother basically decided what I ate. I wasn't allowed to have a dessert (usually a dish of ice cream) until after dinner, after homework. As I got older, she stopped telling me that - but at that point I had developed the habit of only eating sweet foods at the end of the day after dinner, as a treat, rather than having them any time of day.

If they aren't overweight or have any health problems, I say lead by example. Have your kids help cook with you! I loved helping my mom cook. Sometimes just asking them to get this, get that, pour this out for me, etc, is enough. And show them what good healthy choices look like. I think teaching kids the basics of cooking is a great way to set them up for a healthy lifestyle. Counting calories? Meh, I think it depends on the age. I think a better solution would be to teach kids how to read a food label and to show them the general idea of what a "good sized meal" looks like...unless they really need to lose weight I think just showing the basics is all that's needed.

If they are going through health problems, you may need to be more strict. At the end of the day your children are your responsibility. Helping a 10 year old lose weight will probably be easier than a 16 year old though, different stages of maturity.

And for any of this I say check with a doctor. A lot of kids get pudgy at certain ages, esp around puberty, and putting them on a calorie restricted diet isn't useful since they will fill out once they get that next jump in height. So always talk with their doctor on their diet and lifestyle before deciding if you even need to do anything.