High heart rate - is it bad?

I know that there's no general rule to cover all, and that everyone's different, but this is a general question.

You know those workout charts that tell you your ideal heart rate for 65% intensity for fat burning and 85% intensity for cardio training? (for example, this: http://cardiotennis.com/graphics/Marketing/HR-RangeChart.gif) That chart says my 65% heart rate should be 123.

Ain't no way!

I can NOT maintain a heart rate that low while exercising. During a typical workout, my heart rate wants to be around 150-170. At 123, I am not even walking, more like meandering, strolling, or just walking really slowly.

Am I working too hard, or do I possibly have to visit a cardiologist?

Replies

• chunkyb
    chunkyb Posts: 20 Member
    I know that there's no general rule to cover all, and that everyone's different, but this is a general question.

You know those workout charts that tell you your ideal heart rate for 65% intensity for fat burning and 85% intensity for cardio training? (for example, this: http://cardiotennis.com/graphics/Marketing/HR-RangeChart.gif) That chart says my 65% heart rate should be 123.

Ain't no way!

I can NOT maintain a heart rate that low while exercising. During a typical workout, my heart rate wants to be around 150-170. At 123, I am not even walking, more like meandering, strolling, or just walking really slowly.

Am I working too hard, or do I possibly have to visit a cardiologist?
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Might be an idea to get it checked out, I can never get mine over 124 at the gym, when I first joined the gym, my heart rate was up to 148, but within a couple of weeks that started to decline - either that or it's me that need to get mine checked :flowerforyou:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    I've experienced the same thing. During workout my average HR is about 150-160, but I do hit 180-190 during sprints.

I'm still alive :laugh:

I talked to a trainer, and he said that as you get stronger your heart can withstand more, but if you were just starting off - you wouldn't want to push yourself to the max. Gradual build up is key.
  • When I first started working out my peek HR was in the 150s and that is the max I could go without stopping. Now its in the 170s and when I work out I keep it between 120-135. That is my "fat burning" range. I believe the higher you get the better(to some extent). If I go beyond 135-140 its (anarobic)may not be spelled correct.

Hope this helps.:flowerforyou: