Diabetic

Options
Hi, having trouble with cutting out the junk food in my diet, can anybody help me with this ??

Replies

• corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Type one or two? I'm a type 1, but not sure what you mean by junk. As long as I know how many carbs I'm eating (I'm a runner, so I don't even really limit them that much) my blood sugar levels stay on track.
  • deanlamb3
    deanlamb3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Type-2, running helps out so much, but when I need to bring my sugar up a little with a snack I eat way to much. I just need to be more disciplined with my diet. Have any suggestions on what I can snack on that does spike the sugar? Thanks!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I assume, *does not spike the sugar. Recently diagnosed? Gone for nutrition training yet?

The trick is to eat protein along with the carbohydrate every time. Cheese and cracker. Peanut butter and apple. Tuna sandwich.

This visualization I learned early on and started to give me an idea what my meals would look like.

balanced-plate.gif?w=650

Our resident diabetic pro (type 1 and type 2) swears by glucose tabs if the sugar is too low.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    AND are you eating on a routine? Breakfast at the same time every day? Snack two hours later? Eating on a routine will take a lot of guesswork on what is going on with your sugars.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm a type one and carbs are necessary!!! Fast acting carbs are usually neded especially before cardio. Another thing I've discovered is how important weight training is. I have lowered my insulin across the board since starting weights. If I go more than 3 days without lifting I need more insulin again.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    deanlamb3 wrote: »
    Type-2, running helps out so much, but when I need to bring my sugar up a little with a snack I eat way to much. I just need to be more disciplined with my diet. Have any suggestions on what I can snack on that does spike the sugar? Thanks!
    I treat low blood sugars with glucose tabs. They are super fast acting and only 15 calories each.

• corinic91
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I assume, *does not spike the sugar. Recently diagnosed? Gone for nutrition training yet?

The trick is to eat protein along with the carbohydrate every time. Cheese and cracker. Peanut butter and apple. Tuna sandwich.

This visualization I learned early on and started to give me an idea what my meals would look like.

balanced-plate.gif?w=650

Our resident diabetic pro (type 1 and type 2) swears by glucose tabs if the sugar is too low.

I'm sorry, type 1 AND 2? Not possible...

Also, I find glucose tabs can be nasty. I go for Starburst candies (4 of them is 15g which is recommended to raise a low BG).

As for foods that don't spike BG, I love snacking on celery+PB. I'm not sure whether you're insulin dependent, but for me (again, type 1), I just give insulin for the carbs in the pb and am good to go.
  • Msatmosphere
    Msatmosphere Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I feel your pain. What I did was not buy snack food that way I couldn't eat it, but of course i'ts those days where you just want a snack. IF i have a taste for chips I'll buy the low carb veggie chips and just eat a couple. If it's a sweet tooth i'll first grab a fruit or make me some chocolate covered strawberries or some half dipped chocolate covered pecans (it beats a candy bar)lol. Bear naked granola with almonds and cranberries are good and has fiber and you can use them to put in a good choice of yogurt. The bear naked granola also come in different varieties. I hope this was some help. I wish you well on your journey.
  • SHEscribbles
    SHEscribbles Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The individually packaged 100 calorie snacks have been my go to. They help with portion control... and if "out of control" rules the day, you've only eat 200-300 calories. They're pretty tasty so you actually feel like you've had a snack.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    I treat low blood sugars with glucose tabs. They are super fast acting and only 15 calories each.

Same here. Also, because I think of them as "medicine" instead of as "food," it is not as easy to over-treat / over-eat for lows.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @corinic91 , @midwesterner85 describes himself as a type1, type2 diabetic.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    get your jaw wired shut. Or have some self control. :) That's all.
  • corinic91
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »

Same here. Also, because I think of them as "medicine" instead of as "food," it is not as easy to over-treat / over-eat for lows.

Interesting way to look at that, actually. I can see that being a pretty significant plus.

@jgnatca , Interesting. I've been diabetic for most of my life and have never heard of that even being a possibility. I just read a bit on it. It's still a bizarre concept to me, hence my judgment at first, but I guess you learn something new every day :wink:

http://asweetlife.org/karmel/blogs/type-1-blogs/type-1-and-type-2-diabetes-at-the-same-time/31188/
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Edwardshar wrote: »
    get your jaw wired shut. Or have some self control. :) That's all.

Not a good idea for a diabetic. It's all about regularity. To stop eating is very, very dangerous.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    corinic91 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

balanced-plate.gif?w=650

I'm sorry, type 1 AND 2? Not possible...

Also, I find glucose tabs can be nasty. I go for Starburst candies (4 of them is 15g which is recommended to raise a low BG).

As for foods that don't spike BG, I love snacking on celery+PB. I'm not sure whether you're insulin dependent, but for me (again, type 1), I just give insulin for the carbs in the pb and am good to go.

Yes, type 1 and type 2 is possible. It is called "double diabetes" (a term originally coined in 1991). If you correctly understand what type 1 and type 2 are, then it is really obvious that it is possible to have both.

Type 1 - Autoimmune disease that kills pancreatic beta cells, leaving one unable to produce insulin.

Type 2 - Metabolic disease that causes poor insulin efficiency / absorption.

Type 1's will always take insulin because they do not make any. Someone who has type 1 and type 2 (such as myself) will take a lot of insulin and uses oral medication to make their bodies utilize / absorb insulin more efficiently. In other words, double diabetics treat both the type 1 (by taking insulin to replace what our body should be making and isn't) and type 2 (by using medication to improve absorption and injecting larger amounts of insulin to cover for the lack of efficiency /absorption).

ETA: A lot of people assume that since a type 1 does not make insulin, s/he cannot be resistant to insulin. This is usually grounded in the incorrect belief that someone who does not make insulin does not have any insulin in their body. The reality is that someone without insulin in their body will not live for very long. Injecting insulin keeps type 1's alive and can help us function nearly as well as a non-type 1 diabetic. We do have insulin, it just comes from external sources instead of our pancreas. Type 1's can be resistant (i.e. use/absorb insulin inefficiently) to the insulin we inject just as easily as non-type 1's can be resistant to the insulin produced by their own pancreas.
  • deanlamb3
    deanlamb3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the GREAT Info. !! Time to get started.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I am type 2 and manage it pretty well. Down to 1 oral medication with my last AiC at 6.0. Yes you will notice I am light on carbs. Dark chocolate is my go to if I am feeling low BS.
    I personally reduced most wheat products and my weight and A1C plummeted. Also needed to lose pounds so of course a deficit is the only way to do that.
  • Msatmosphere
    Msatmosphere Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    its also a web site sorta like this one for diabetics. www.fit2mecoach.com They have all types of healthy recipes, exercises for you too do and they remind you of any doctor appt. you have coming up and questions you may want to ask.