Going to visit Mom- Need support!!!!!!!!!

Options
Hi all! So I have been a bit of a slacker lately, but I am (once again) newly back on track. Tomorrow I am going to visit my family for my sister's high school graduation and will be there for five days. The problem (and reason why I need your support) is this- I only see my mom maybe five times a year at most, and because of that, I use it as an excuse for an eating as much of her cooking as I want. That mixed with the fact I am away from gym leaves me coming home feeling slightly heavier... and guilty. I have tried to exercise while I was down there in the past, but I go for one quick run and that is it.

I know this whole post sounds pretty lame, but I really want to try to this time. I am tired of feeling the way I do in my body... I want to be strong and be able to support myself physically. So please, any support, advice, or tough love would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just eat reasonable portions and make sure you at least get a good walk in every day.

As far as loving your mom's cooking: can you freeze some of what she's made and bring it home with you? If you're driving, you can buy a cheap cooler to travel back home. This would be tough if you have to fly home though.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    You can do it! Just eat reasonable portions and make sure you at least get a good walk in every day.

As far as loving your mom's cooking: can you freeze some of what she's made and bring it home with you? If you're driving, you can buy a cheap cooler to travel back home. This would be tough if you have to fly home though.

Good advice here!

But since you only see your mom 5 times a year, I think you should try to enjoy that time, it is only 5 days - then you can vow to get back on track once you are back.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I hear your pain. I was the same when I went to my mum's. Just try and eat smaller portions and not snack. Can you walk to the park with the kids?
  • kcanoni
    kcanoni Posts: 31
    Options
    I agree with Atlantique (seeing if you can take some of the food home with you).

Otherwise, try talking to your mom about your goals in your weight loss and see if she has some tasty recipes for maybe making her best dishes a little healthier. Moms are good about supporting their children to see them succeed and I think if you were open about your longtime goals with her she would definitely help you out.

Good luck!
  • patsyanne
    patsyanne Posts: 111
    Options
    Mom's make good food but they can also be supportive if you talk to her. Ask her to make her regular food but to realize that you will be eating a smaller portion each meal. She should be really proud of you, BUT you have to tell her and then stick to it when you get there. Walks every day, maybe with your sister or mom, could be a fun way to be together. We all make excuses for our ways but if we really want to eat right and exercise there are ways we can do it.
    Being a mom of a daughter who is working hard to lose weight, I know that I will do anything to support her. I'm sure your mom would too. Good luck and enjoy your visit.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    My last holiday with family, a family of great cooks. I got up early everyday and went for a big walk. I then could enjoy the great cooking. I didn't lose, and the only gain i had was the respect form my family for my commitment to a healthier life style.
  • cloud92222
    cloud92222 Posts: 19
    Options
    I think if you keep your diary going religiously it will definately help. Then you will be making conscious decisions about which meals you want to splurge on and can avoid some regret. Also, if you know your mom is making a great dinner but maybe not breakfast or lunch, try to go really easy on those meals. And I also agree that it is only five days, you need to enjoy it a little!
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sending you best wishes and support. Know how family visits can make you feel like that little child again...my thoughts are with you! Relax and enjoy; and, see it as an opportunity to take a fresh look at who you are and the direction YOU want to take with your life. Good luck