Weight Stuck...Again

Options
I love myfitness pal and am on my 6th week. I eat a tad below my calories, I exercise at least 4-5 times a week (pretty heavily) on a stationery bike and for the second time have gone 2 weeks with losing nothing! I am so discouraged. I am keeping my carbs under control, am a vegetarian and really eat healthy. The first week I lost 6, the second 3 then nothing for two. Lost 2 the following and now for the last 2 nothing!

Should I up my exercise more? I have about 30 pounds to lose and have always been able to lose in the past, but I think being in my mid 50's has really changed all of that. I would really love some suggestions to get things moving again.

I am always SO excited to end my day and finalize the day's entries. The pounds look so great that I will weigh in 5 weeks, but with how things are going, I don't think I will see it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Up your food more. If you're under and working out regularly, you just might not be eating enough.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories?
    Are your goals set correctly?

Can't really help without seeing your diary.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    ebbs and flows in weight loss are going to be a part of any program anyway. don't let it get you discouraged.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're not eating enough. You have to eat your exercise calories back. If, for example, you have yours set at 1200 and then you get 300 calories of exercise, you're only netting 900 calories, which is not enough, and your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto the weight.
  • OntheShrink
    OntheShrink Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you starve your body it won't give up any of the weight. Try eating a bit more.
  • Andistot18
    Andistot18 Posts: 1
    Options
    Since you are 6 weeks into it, and working out regularly, I would say that you are gaining muscle. When you first start with exercise, you lose weight almost rapidly the first 3-4 weeks, then you stale-mate, or even gain weight, as you are developing muscle. Once your muscle it toned, the scale will start going down again. You just need to work through it. I bet if you measured your thighs/stomach etc, you would notice that you are still losing inches, just not weight. I am like you, I didn't start out only dieting, but I started out working out- going from lightly active to intense exercise 3times a week, and went through the same thing :)

Keep it up! Rock it out! It will start showing stronger results soon enough!!
  • chihlady
    chihlady Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the good suggestions. I would like to ask one more question: When should I eat in regard to exercising? I prefer to exercise early in the morning and have been doing that before I eat. I don't like to eat much and then exercise. Is there a right way to handle eating and exercising? Thanks for any other suggestions.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good suggestions. I would like to ask one more question: When should I eat in regard to exercising? I prefer to exercise early in the morning and have been doing that before I eat. I don't like to eat much and then exercise. Is there a right way to handle eating and exercising? Thanks for any other suggestions.
    It's best to eat a little something before you exercise if you find you don't have the energy to put forth your best effort, intensity-wise. It's OK to skip eating beforehand if you have the energy. However, it's very important to eat a balanced meal after exercise, especially getting protein into your body. A good balance of carbs, good fat, and lean protein.
  • mimiforever
    Options
    I think you're doing GREAT! I admire your motivation and determination. Keep up the good work. Maybe you should try eating a little more since sometimes you don't even eat your 1200 calories. I don't exercise on an empty stomach. I just don't have the energy and I also prefer to eat first so can I start working off some of my calories that I just ate. We'll keep encouraging each other and we will WIN!!!