I'm losing weight but my belly is getting huge!

Options
Seriously - I'm down about 5 lbs in the past 3 weeks but it seems like my stomach is growing. I haven't measured it yet but I'm ready to go take a pregnancy test LOL

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    take measurements! this is highly unlikely unless ur extremely bloated. is there anything u have changed in your diet that could cause it?
  • janetlojo
    janetlojo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It could just be that you've lost weight elsewhere and in comparison it makes your belly look bigger. Don't worry, keep at it and soon you will see that belly shrinking too!
  • megatron1129
    megatron1129 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always seem to be bloated, And I have what I call a 'mans' build. No hips, thighs or butt but a big ol santa belly. Thats why its bothersome to see it getting bigger!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Any chance of pregnancy?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I always seem to be bloated, And I have what I call a 'mans' build. No hips, thighs or butt but a big ol santa belly. Thats why its bothersome to see it getting bigger!!

Oh tell me about it. My belly is the last thing to go! I agree with the previous poster though. You will likely lose weight elsewhere first so it looks like your tummy is getting bigger. It'll catch up though.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements NOW. Watch them. You'll feel a lot better when you see the measurement is not moving (when you think it's getting larger). Or, if it is getting larger and you're losing weight-you can check you data to see how much sodium you've consumed recently, where you are in your cycle, etc-to see what is contributing to the bloating.

My waist measurement is up half an inch right now. At first I freaked...then I realized I'm ovulating and I always get a little bloated and hold onto some water weight when I ovulate. Plus I ate a crap ton of salt.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How are you losing weight?
    are you exercising? weight lifting/cardio?
    or simply restricting calories?

could be water - are you eating lots of salty (and delicious) stuff?
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    janetlojo wrote: »
    It could just be that you've lost weight elsewhere and in comparison it makes your belly look bigger. Don't worry, keep at it and soon you will see that belly shrinking too!

I agree! I think you might be losing elsewhere and your stomach is now more noticeable than before. Don't fret and keep up the hard work!

• arditarose
    Options

Also this. Another good reason to take measurements though. I have lost a lot recently not in the biggest part of my hips, but right around my hip bone. I think it makes my belly look bigger.
  • megatron1129
    Options
    I do minimum 20 minutes of cardio at the gym 6 days a week. I also weight train 5 days a week, I don't really care about the number on the scale - I know I'm gaining muscle but looking like I'm 5 months preggo really sucks!

I eat fairly healthy, I'm not a big fan of salt - rarely use it on my food, sweets are my weak spot!
  • arditarose
    Options
    I do minimum 20 minutes of cardio at the gym 6 days a week. I also weight train 5 days a week, I don't really care about the number on the scale - I know I'm gaining muscle but looking like I'm 5 months preggo really sucks!

I eat fairly healthy, I'm not a big fan of salt - rarely use it on my food, sweets are my weak spot!

So you're trying to build muscle...are you in maintenance or a surplus. Confused because you said you lost 5 pounds.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    scookbey wrote: »

I agree! I think you might be losing elsewhere and your stomach is now more noticeable than before. Don't fret and keep up the hard work!

Yeah this seems likely - any other measurements going down?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I agree with the others, it is very likely just the proportions make it appear like it is getting bigger.

If you were bloated, you would have gastric distress: excess burping or flatulence and pain and noises coming from your stomach. How's your posture? Slumping your shoulders can make your belly pooch out some too.

• arditarose
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I agree with the others, it is very likely just the proportions make it appear like it is getting bigger.

If you were bloated, you would have gastric distress: excess burping or flatulence and pain and noises coming from your stomach. How's your posture? Slumping your shoulders can make your belly pooch out some too.

I don't know if that is necessarily true. My stomach becomes distended sometimes but I don't always feel uncomfortable. Just looks funny.
  • megatron1129
    Options
    I don't track calories - takes the fun out of life for me, I just work out and try to eat healthy and I make decent food choices.

Not sure about other measurments but I have noticed that my back (bra fat bulge) has definitely toned up a bit.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I don't know if that is necessarily true. My stomach becomes distended sometimes but I don't always feel uncomfortable. Just looks funny.

Is it distended because there is food in it or because the food that is in it is causing excess gas (which is what bloating is)?

• arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Is it distended because there is food in it or because the food that is in it is causing excess gas (which is what bloating is)?

I guess because there is food in it then. But not always. Sometime it is just very huge and round.
  • lnlawrence37
    lnlawrence37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would say make an appointment with your gynecologist. As a healthcare professional I've seen this quite a bit. Women are losing weight but their stomach still stays the same or gets bigger. What we end up finding via ultrasound is that they have a very large ovarian cyst or that they have fibroids. Better safe than sorry!
  • megatron1129
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Any chance of pregnancy?

Highly unlikely.

• IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    hhm. okay. so you're working out 11 times a week, don't track macros, don't weigh yourself, and don't take measurements?

gaining muscle doesn't happen from one week to another. to gain a pound of muscle on its own, is almost impossible. I am eating at a surplus of 1000 calories per day, and after 2 months I've gained about 3 kilos of muscle (and possibly around 2 kilos of fat).. and i lift heavy *kitten* weights ..
    i'd suggest you track what you eat .. a surplus of healthy food is the same as a surplus of non-healthy food.