anyone make their own almond milk?

Options
sanura
sanura Posts: 459 Member
I'm curious how much water/almonds you use, and how you figure out the nutrition value.
thanks!

Replies

• julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    I'd love to know this as well please!
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    why would you bother, when its just as easy and cheap to buy it?
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It's nothing like the store bought kind, I've tried to make it. I was thoroughly disappointed lol. I've seen video's where people make it and love it, but I guess they have lower expectations than I. You're better off IMO just buying it, if you're going after that creamy deliciousness.

Great, now I want almond milk!!
  • 23elle
    23elle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe that I've enjoyed. Hope it helps. :)

Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk (makes about 4 cups)

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups soaked raw almonds (soaked at least 4 hours; overnight is best)
    4 cups filtered water
    Pinch of sun-dried sea salt
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
    2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
    1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)

Directions

1. Drain the almonds and place them in a blender.

2. Add 1 ½ cups water and blend at medium speed for 2 minutes (the texture is kind of like baby food).

3. Add honey/maple syrup, cinnamon (if desired), salt (if desired), and remaining 2 ½ cups of water. Blend again for 2-3 minutes.

4. Place 3-4 layers of cheesecloth over a metal strainer in a bowl and pour the blended almond mixture in and use a spoon to press down on the strainer to help the almond milk move through the cheesecloth.

5. Once you have squeezed all of the milk that you can out of the cheesecloth, discard it and the almond meal inside (or, you can dry the almond meal out in the oven on a low temperature and use it in place of flour).

6. The almond milk will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days. Enjoy!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thanks 23elle, that sounds delicious. I made some this morning with just soaked almonds and water, it had so much more flavour than the brand available here. Even the unsweetened one has extra stuff in it like tapioca starch, salt, carrageenan, and lecithin. I'm just not sure how many calories, fat, calcium, or iron it would have.