Have stopped losing weight

Options
Psyb3r
Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
Hi,
I've been counting calories on MFP for almost 60 days now. At first I was seeing the great drop of 1-2lbs per week. In the last week, I haven't lost a single pound. In fact, I gained back almost 2lbs before I finally got back down again. I'm not sure what's going on. Can someone give me some advice? The only thing I've changed about my diet is I added nuts, which I researched and learned are supposed to help you lose weight. HELP!

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Hi there! If you make your diary public, that should help other mfpals help you!! Good luck
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • sammyjj53
    sammyjj53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm goin thru the same thing and haven't really seen a let up yet. But I did relize that I have dropped inches and have toned up a bit. So from what I understand, it could be that the muscle is/was taking place of the fat loss. IDK...... Something to consider. It's different for everyone.

Good luck.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Hi there! If you make your diary public, that should help other mfpals help you!! Good luck
    Yes make it public so we can get a better picture.

I will tell you though, I vamped up my weight loss, using a high lean protein diet and drinking 2 liters of no calorie drinks (preferred water) to flush toxins. I feel great and am dropping it like it hot. If you have kidney problems though, it may be best to consult your doctor before beginning a high lean protein diet.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, you have to lower your calorie goals because as you get lighter, your BMR goes down. Very common problems that cause people to stop losing weight are 1) overestimating workout calories and 2) underestimating calories consumed.
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    Yes make it public so we can get a better picture.

I will tell you though, I vamped up my weight loss, using a high lean protein diet and drinking 2 liters of no calorie drinks (preferred water) to flush toxins. I feel great and am dropping it like it's hot. If you have kidney problems though, it may be best to consult your doctor before beginning a high lean protein diet.
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been eating at least the 1200 calorie minimum each day (which is a 1000 calorie defecit from my original intake). Right now my caloric intake is 1230 (per MFP) and I exercise 4 times a week. I've been focusing on eating alot of protien and trying to cut down on the carbs.
  • catgoodey
    catgoodey Posts: 15
    Options
    monitor your inch loss and maybe ring the changes with your food. i find i get stuck into a regular menu that i know fits in my calories allowance but then i eat same old same old everyday and the weight loss slows. shake it up and try some more new things and change your exercise routine too. always helps not to be stuck ina rut. hope it works. keep on with it though, don't give up because of the scales, go by how much better you feel when you eat well and exercise.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, you have to lower your calorie goals because as you get lighter, your BMR goes down. Very common problems that cause people to stop losing weight are 1) overestimating workout calories and 2) underestimating calories consumed.

^^^ Yes. :flowerforyou:
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    I've been eating at least the 1200 calorie minimum each day (which is a 1000 calorie defecit from my original intake). Right now my caloric intake is 1230 (per MFP) and I exercise 4 times a week. I've been focusing on eating alot of protien and trying to cut down on the carbs.

Have you seen a doctor. For a long time, I could not lose weight, I would drop a little and then just stay no matter how hard I tried (workout hard, count calories to a tee to what MFP recommended), but my cloths never changed the way they fit or nothing and I stop losing any weight. Once I consulted my doctor, she did some blood test and it showed several natural homones my body didn't have enough of and one my body had way, way to much of. Which only made it near impossible to lose. Maybe, if possible you should just have a good checkup to see if there may something similar going on with you.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I was steadily dropping 1-2 pounds per week the first month and a half on MFP. Then suddenly WHAM! it all slowed down. I have been around the same weight for about a month and a half and I have done nothing but complain on MFP about my plateau. However, since I weigh daily and use an app to track the daily weight (free Android app called "Simple Weight Recorder"), I notice I have been losing still but very slowly.

From what I have read online, on these boards, etc. is that weight loss is never consistent. You will not drop 1 pound a week, every week. You'll go up a little, down a little, get stagnant for a while...the point is to keep on program, even if the scale or tape measure isn't motivating you at the time. As long as you are eating the calories MFP tells you to, the weight will come off, even if it is slower than we like.

Of course, this is all assuming that you are otherwise healthy, with no hormonal imbalances or thyroid issues.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Okay, I am guilty of this as well, but I see a lot of days you take in a lot of sodium, maybe it's the sodium that is making you retain water thus gain/not lose weight??? Also as another poster daid, overestimating workout calories can really hinder you bc you don't know how much to eat. MFP tends to overestimate most of the time, maybe eat 50-70% of them back if you are not absolutely sure what you burned??? Just a few suggestions, good luck!! :D