Running friends

Options
Hey...I'm an avid runner looking to meet other runner friends. I'm in the San Diego area, but I don't mind making friends from all over. I'd love to hear how you are tackling your own plateaus and what you are doing to cross train. I used to do P90X and I'm thinking about doing it again once my next marathon (June 5) is done. I seem to be stuck at the weight I'm at right now, and it's kind of frustrating. Please feel free to look at my food and exercise logs, they are open for viewing if you add me as a friend (or maybe even if you don't). I didn't exercise today because I ran 20 miles on Saturday, 4 on Sunday and 6 yesterday so I felt like my body needed a rest, yet I still need the food it seems.

Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Kelly:drinker:

Replies

• kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm staring out slow with some 5K obstacle course and they are addicting.

I also have asthma so that hinders me a little bit when the weather changes (UGH like now) but I will make it.

My next race if for the San Bernardino Sheriff's Mud Run and then a few others.
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wow ur my new hero! 20?!? Im bearly starting the c25k! Great work though!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Wow 20 is great. I am working on speed right now. Doing 5k in 26 minutes on flat.

I really want to start distance running shortly. Once I hit my 25 minute 5k I will aim for the distance goal.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Running longer will help your speed at the shorter distances by increasing your endurance. You will be able to hold a faster pace without tiring.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I just finished my 1st marathon, good luck with your upcoming one.
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I use to be an avid runner and would run 20 min a 5k. However, since then I had a kid and my 5k time dropped to 24 mins. Then about 3 years ago I found out I had a vascular tumor in my calf and it def has slowed me down. Last summer I accomplished one of my goals by doing a Sprint Triathlon. This year I would like to try to be at a 1/2 marathon by the fall...maybe even more if my leg holds out. Currently, I am working towards a 10k in 1.5 weeks. I still need to increase miles this week. I am thinking my 10k will be around 65mins and it sucks seeing how slow I have become:noway:
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow 20 is great. I am working on speed right now. Doing 5k in 26 minutes on flat.

I really want to start distance running shortly. Once I hit my 25 minute 5k I will aim for the distance goal.

We do 5 Ks during our marathon training to help build up our speed. My fastest so far is 26 minutes and 11 seconds. Great goal!!! Let me know how you do ;)
  • myowncrazycool
    Options
    I use to be an avid runner and would run 20 min a 5k. However, since then I had a kid and my 5k time dropped to 24 mins. Then about 3 years ago I found out I had a vascular tumor in my calf and it def has slowed me down. Last summer I accomplished one of my goals by doing a Sprint Triathlon. This year I would like to try to be at a 1/2 marathon by the fall...maybe even more if my leg holds out. Currently, I am working towards a 10k in 1.5 weeks. I still need to increase miles this week. I am thinking my 10k will be around 65mins and it sucks seeing how slow I have become:noway:

Don't get discouraged...don't think about where you once were in terms of successful running, but rather think about where you started out this time around and how far you've come. People are able to overcome huge obstacles just by changing their mindset. Keep working towards your goal. Intervals and track training does wonders for increasing your speed. Celebrate your milestones and think about how great it feels just to be able to run. ;)

Thanks for sharing.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hey, fellow runner here, I've been at it for years but I'm s-l-o-w! Sent you a request for some mutual support :smile:
  • myowncrazycool
    Options

4:01 is that your time or your goal? Great time...do you want to run the Boston Marathon?
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have one half marathon under my belt and am running in a 15-miler in September in WV. I hope to be ready for a full within a year.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I can call myself a runner yet (but I'm a running fool). I'm 1/2 way through the couch to 10k program - so I'm punching out 3.5 - 4 miles every workout (and loving most of it - the first few warm up minutes are killers! :wink: ) My goal is to run the disney 1/2 Marathon (if we can afford to get to Disney).

Oh... and I lived in San Diego for 13 years before moving to Nashville (where I met my hubby). 8 years in Coronado and 5 in Point Loma (right on Rosecrans down by the sub base).
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I guess i'm an aspiring runner. I'm almost running 3 miles with no walking, consistently. And that's really slow, like 12 minute miles (is that even considered running!?) My total distance is 4 miles (half walking). My goal is to be able to run 5 miles straight without walking. After that i'll work on getting faster. I'd like to achieve the 5 miles and sub-30min 5K by end of summer. Thankfully, the more weight i lose the easier/more enjoyable it gets! I don't know if i'll ever have the desire to run a marathon though.

Anybody keep a pen and paper run log? (that's the dinosaur in me talking).
  • bmfrazie
    Options

Don't get discouraged...don't think about where you once were in terms of successful running, but rather think about where you started out this time around and how far you've come. People are able to overcome huge obstacles just by changing their mindset. Keep working towards your goal. Intervals and track training does wonders for increasing your speed. Celebrate your milestones and think about how great it feels just to be able to run. ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your support. I stay positive most of my time and set realistic goals for myself at my current level. I am not as worried about speed as I was when I was younger. I am more worried about finishing the race and not having to walk at all. I coach Jr. High Track and am about to end the season with that. Hopefully after the season ends I will be able to get a little track time in myself and work on some speed drills.
  • bmfrazie
    Options
    I guess i'm an aspiring runner. I'm almost running 3 miles with no walking, consistently. And that's really slow, like 12 minute miles (is that even considered running!?) My total distance is 4 miles (half walking). My goal is to be able to run 5 miles straight without walking. After that i'll work on getting faster. I'd like to achieve the 5 miles and sub-30min 5K by end of summer. Thankfully, the more weight i lose the easier/more enjoyable it gets! I don't know if i'll ever have the desire to run a marathon though.

12 min miles are a great starting point! It is more about getting out there and moving your body, having fun, and getting fit! What is your 5k time currently?

I don't personally keep a pen and paper log of anything. I never really did because I could keep track in my head. LOL but I have since moved onto using google my tracks on my phone or the notes section in exercise area on MFP to keep track of stuff to look back on. I think it is helpful though to keep some form of a log so you can look back and see you progress or make notes about what work outs helped and what didn't.
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options

12 min miles are a great starting point! It is more about getting out there and moving your body, having fun, and getting fit! What is your 5k time currently?

I don't personally keep a pen and paper log of anything. I never really did because I could keep track in my head. LOL but I have since moved onto using google my tracks on my phone or the notes section in exercise area on MFP to keep track of stuff to look back on. I think it is helpful though to keep some form of a log so you can look back and see you progress or make notes about what work outs helped and what didn't.

Thank you very much for the encouragement. 2 days ago i ran 3 miles in 35:20 so my 5k is probably 36something. I think if a ran an event the atmosphere/adrenaline would push me closer to the 30 minute mark, but i guess my goal is more like consistent 10 minute miles in my regular workouts.

I was tracking on the Nike+ sight, then i discovered dailymile, then entering workouts into MFP, i was like all over the place. So now I just keep a pen and paper log, everything in one place. I do miss the progress charts and statistical data. Maybe i'll go buy some graph paper ;)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

4:01 is that your time or your goal? Great time...do you want to run the Boston Marathon?

That was my time, I didn't quite reach my goal.
    I'm not sure about Boston, I'm gonna need a bit more experience & get my time down before I can think that far ahead.
  • bmfrazie
    Options
    When are everyone's races?

Bayshore 10k: May 28th
    Cherry Festival 15k: July 9th
    I still am looking for a Half Marathon for August or early Sept.

I would also like to add a few 5k races in between. However, I live in a smaller town that doesn't have a ton of races:grumble:
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am originally from England and used to run a lot there, including 2 x 1/2 marathons, but I am slow! Have moved to the US and did a 1/2 marathon in February this year. I start with a training group again in August and want to lose 10lbs by then to help better my running overall.

Happy to meet you!

Jane