Advice to Control Eating??

Options
Hey Y'all!

I'm having some trouble controlling my eating lately. I'm training to make my college XC team, so it's pretty essential for me to control my weight as well. I'd even like to lose a little if anything, as it's a sport where extra weight is not a good thing at all. But that isn't the primary goal. I'm trying to get in better shape cardiovascularly. The past few days have been a lil rough eating wise and tonight I found myself real hungry, and over my calories (again), and it's just getting annoying. If you guys could give me a little advice, that'd be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The only ways I am able to control my food intake:
    • Weigh and log all food
    • Make sure I am eating enough calorie dense foods so I'm not hungry all the time
    • Practice moderation in all things so that I am not depriving myself.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    One key is making sure you have an appropriate calorie goal in the first place. If you're eating too low, you set the table for an inevitable unplanned splurge down the line. Especially with a competitive sport, be sure you get enough fuel. It will save a lot of hassle in the long run.

Good luck with making the team!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If you're in college, it would help to know what your meal plan is. My advice would change depending on how much you use campus dining and cafeterias.
  • kiomayoko
    kiomayoko Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to do the same an keep to a somewhat restricted diet. I would first off make sure your taking in enough calories for your weight an height. Since you are playing a sport it's somewhat like a workout an you need to make sure your giving yourself enough energy to play as well as go through the day. I would also recommend drinking a full cup of water before your big meals an letting it settle make sure you have small snacks in between everything as well.
  • fredericktambunan
    fredericktambunan Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Keeping my 32oz water bottle nearby and just drinking it like a camel in between meals controls hunger for me. But on days that im super short on sleep at work the hunger pangs go crazy especially if it's busy and I'm not on top of my water consumption. Not as complicated as it seems, just staying hydrated i.e. peeing all the time works wonders.
  • charlatte987
    charlatte987 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all your responses!!!! I'm actually a commuter right now so I can control most of what I eat (lunch I go to the cafeteria and get either sushi or a whole wheat wrap with a ton of chicken in it). I've been off my water game lately, gotta get back on that. And I have been trying to be eating "perfectly" so it'd probably be better to just eat what I want once in a while :)

I do think my calories may be low as well on MFP. It says I should be eating 1850 on sedentary days, and I usually add what I did in exercise to that. I have an active job though, and do tend to do a lot of walking around campus. Would it be unreasonable to bump up to 2000?
  • mamatothelils
    mamatothelils Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Water has really helped me...sounds funny, but if you drink a lot really fast it makes you so full you don't want to eat. I have either a 32oz or 64oz container on hand at all times.
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    SuperSizeMeNot Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    use a saucer instead of a regular sized plate