Mexican Restaurants!!

Options
So hard to eat well at these places. I try to opt for the warm corn tortillas instead of chips. I also stay clear of queso and only eat the salsa. I order shrimp cocktail, fajitas or ceviche as a healthier alternative. But I'm curious what everyone else does when in this situation?

Replies

• melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Tacos with one tortilla only, but no burritos. I eat plenty of the pickled carrots, radishes, cukes. I stay clear of dairy and flour tortillas, which is easy to do. If my husband gets tortilla chips, I may split them and quietly count out 10-15 and load them with salsa or a side of beans. Mexican food is pretty healthy...tex-mex, not so healthy!
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Queso, guac, margaritas, and enchiladas.

Sorry to be no help :wink: I love mexican food and it's definitely one of my weaknesses.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    hard to eat well at a mexican restaraunt ?
    You have to be kidding right ?
    Maybe try going to a smaller family owned authentic place and not a chain store. Much more delicious
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I went to a Mexican restaurant recently and was pleasantly surprised to find they offer a side of steamed veggies - and it was more than I could eat, as well as a small bowl of black beans. I still had my main option of higher calorie chicken rellino, but with those sides I didn't overdo it. I had some chips with just the salsa and steered clear of guacamole and sour cream.
  • hnm921
    hnm921 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat Mexican all the time. I have a small portion of the chips and salsa and munch on them slowly. Usually order the shrimp tacos w/a side of the grilled veggies which I will add to my tacos with a little guac!
  • girlperson666
    girlperson666 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mexican is my favorite diet food!

I mean, at any restaurant it's hard to avoid overeating, especially one that's going to put cheese know everything. But honestly when I'm looking for a big, filling meal that's gonna keep me within my calories for the day, I'm always going for black beans and building a meal around that. With guacamole and sliced peppers, mm mm. With sour cream and fresh salsa, mm mm. With shredded chicken and cheese, mmmmm!
    honestly I think the main thing to avoid is over indulging on corn chips. that's the big danger with mexican food. otherwise, most mexican or tex-mex is actually full of pretty healthy ingredients!