Day 5 Depression

Options
Hello, my name is Jasmine and I'm addicted to sugar.
I re-started a healthy diet on Sunday which was kicked off by a massive cupboard cleanse. Now it's Thursday and the detox depression is kicking my *kitten*.
Does anyone else go through this?
How do you get past it?

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up sugar so no, no food-related depression here. I got past it by working occasional treats into my calories.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up sugar so no, no food-related depression here. I got past it by working occasional treats into my calories.

^^^this..........I do still eat anything I want.....just makew sure it fits into my goal......If I want something particular one night......curry / pizza /beer...then I plan it...pre log then fit round it....usually as you don't have as much left...you then find filling meals for the other times...
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Unless you really struggle to stick to eating sugar in moderation, there's no need to completely cut it out. If you can fit sugary foods into your calories then you'll still lose weight. I know some people prefer to just cut certain things out completely as if they eat a bit they can't stop themselves eating loads and it's easier just to cut it out, but if you think you are able to just eat a bit and be satisfied then don't be afraid to do that!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You could very well be going through withdraw. I find that I'm able to best stick with a plan that incorporates my normal eating habits, within reasonable ranges. Good luck.
  • jascakes
    jascakes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is also Jasmine and today I have enjoyed a small chocolate bar that fits into my daily calories! I find allocating a small bit of chocolate during my mid morning coffee break or after dinner, in the form of a fun sized chocolate bar or some chocolate buttons helps to curb my cravings for sweetness.

If you want to stay healthy and natural you could try strawberries and raspberries for some calorie controlled sweetness.
  • jasmineboyle
    jasmineboyle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unless you really struggle to stick to eating sugar in moderation, there's no need to completely cut it out. If you can fit sugary foods into your calories then you'll still lose weight. I know some people prefer to just cut certain things out completely as if they eat a bit they can't stop themselves eating loads and it's easier just to cut it out, but if you think you are able to just eat a bit and be satisfied then don't be afraid to do that!

This is exactly my problem; I can't have options in the kitchen when my cravings hit because I have zero% willpower.
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hershey's kisses work best for me. One has only about 25 calories and helps with sugar cravings.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I personally won't give up anything completely. I'd be so miserable without an occasional beer & pizza night. Can you buy a bag of fun-size candy (or break up your favorite treat into pre-portioned baggies) so you can fit something in?
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Are you willing to eat more natural sugars? (Fruit, dairy, etc) <-- Might help with the adjustment.

Maybe find an option you'd be unlikely to overdo? Like, say, hot chocolate. If you had that in the house, would you realistically go drink five mugs, or would you just make one?

Did you cut anything else by the way? You say you did a cupboard cleanse... are you getting enough fat and protein? Are you trying to go low carb? Did you cut caffeine (on purpose, or by accident -- i.e. cutting out cola would cut your caffeine if you're not then drinking more coffee or tea to compensate)? Keep your fat & protein & carb intake up: don't go low carb on the whole (right now at least) and don't try to cut caffeine simultaneously.

Otherwise, you may just have to push through if this is something you want, and if you are not willing to try eating it in moderation (at least right now). It can't really last forever, right? Get out, get sunlight, get moving, get enough food, keep busy, remind yourself that it's temporary.

ETA: Did you also mega-slash your calories? I cannot stress enough the one massive, stressful change at a time (if you must make one at all) thing. Depression can be triggered by many such things, so if you're also suddenly on a huge deficit, that could be part of the issue. Pop up to maintenance or a bit below (250 cals maybe, 0.5 lb a week) until you adjust.
  • clhenderson2
    clhenderson2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Jasmine and I'm addicted to sugar.
    I re-started a healthy diet on Sunday which was kicked off by a massive cupboard cleanse. Now it's Thursday and the detox depression is kicking my *kitten*.
    Does anyone else go through this?
    How do you get past it?

Hi! I've recently started taking weight loss seriously and I've been researching weight loss that is targeted towards women only. Check out my group: weight loss for women
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the same way. I really did think that if I had treats in the house I was doomed to eat them, and since we keep goodies for the kids I was destined to never lose weight. Then I realized I was wrong. It is MY CHOICE to eat what I want. Whether that is 15 candy bars, because I WANT to eat that, or just one or two hershey's minis. The food is not making that decision for me. And if I WANT to eat more than would be considered a typical serving, that's fine. It's my choice to do that.

I can choose to incorporate it into my calories, and eat less of something else. Or I can choose to go over my calorie goal and accept that I may lose a little less that week, which, oh well. It's not like a race where I have to lose X pounds by a certain time. This is just how I am living my life now, so sometimes I will eat more than others and that is totally fine. It will all settle out in the long term, as long as I am making sure MOST days are adhering to my calorie goals.

You don't have to be depressed and deprived. I understand that feeling and I've felt that feeling a lot. Then I stopped being a victim to the food and chose to be in control.
  • clhenderson2
    clhenderson2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »

^^^this..........I do still eat anything I want.....just makew sure it fits into my goal......If I want something particular one night......curry / pizza /beer...then I plan it...pre log then fit round it....usually as you don't have as much left...you then find filling meals for the other times...

Eating habits shouldn't require you to deprive yourself from certain foods. I do the same as well and eat what I choose to eat as long as I'm within my caloric limit. Exercise helps!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »

Eating habits shouldn't require you to deprive yourself from certain foods. I do the same as well and eat what I choose to eat as long as I'm within my caloric limit. Exercise helps!

I do the same as these people. I have not given up sugar. Or anything really.

In fact, I prelogged my Saturday dinner a few days ago. I know exactly where I'm going and what I'm getting and I wanted to make damn sure I could work those babies in.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    hsmith0930 wrote: »
    I thought I was the same way. I really did think that if I had treats in the house I was doomed to eat them, and since we keep goodies for the kids I was destined to never lose weight. Then I realized I was wrong. It is MY CHOICE to eat what I want. Whether that is 15 candy bars, because I WANT to eat that, or just one or two hershey's minis. The food is not making that decision for me. And if I WANT to eat more than would be considered a typical serving, that's fine. It's my choice to do that.

I can choose to incorporate it into my calories, and eat less of something else. Or I can choose to go over my calorie goal and accept that I may lose a little less that week, which, oh well. It's not like a race where I have to lose X pounds by a certain time. This is just how I am living my life now, so sometimes I will eat more than others and that is totally fine. It will all settle out in the long term, as long as I am making sure MOST days are adhering to my calorie goals.

You don't have to be depressed and deprived. I understand that feeling and I've felt that feeling a lot. Then I stopped being a victim to the food and chose to be in control.

Same! And part of my problem was I was always either on a diet or off of it. And since I "couldn't" have certain things on a diet I would eat them all while I could when I was off. Craziness! Now that I have my permission to eat anything at any time, I don't feel that panicky urge to eat it while I can.

• jasmineboyle
    jasmineboyle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Are you willing to eat more natural sugars? (Fruit, dairy, etc) <-- Might help with the adjustment.

Maybe find an option you'd be unlikely to overdo? Like, say, hot chocolate. If you had that in the house, would you realistically go drink five mugs, or would you just make one?

Did you cut anything else by the way? You say you did a cupboard cleanse... are you getting enough fat and protein? Are you trying to go low carb? Did you cut caffeine (on purpose, or by accident -- i.e. cutting out cola would cut your caffeine if you're not then drinking more coffee or tea to compensate)? Keep your fat & protein & carb intake up: don't go low carb on the whole (right now at least) and don't try to cut caffeine simultaneously.

Otherwise, you may just have to push through if this is something you want, and if you are not willing to try eating it in moderation (at least right now). It can't really last forever, right? Get out, get sunlight, get moving, get enough food, keep busy, remind yourself that it's temporary.

ETA: Did you also mega-slash your calories? I cannot stress enough the one massive, stressful change at a time (if you must make one at all) thing. Depression can be triggered by many such things, so if you're also suddenly on a huge deficit, that could be part of the issue. Pop up to maintenance or a bit below (250 cals maybe, 0.5 lb a week) until you adjust.

No I can't keep hot chocolate in the house because I end up putting double or triple the normal amount of powder in a mug to make it an extra sweet sludge. When I say sugar addict, I mean that quite literally. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to just buy less liquor and portion it out better. And it's not that I have intentionally cut sugar, just making healthier choices which naturally leads to consuming less empty calories like sugar.
    My goal is the 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein so I have greatly increased my protein intake and no I haven't cut caffeine.
    I'm starting to feel like a freak though because no one seems to understand the physiological addiction. It's more than knowledge, willpower and planning...
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Keep busy
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Sorry, haven't given up anything. I do everything, only in moderation.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

No I can't keep hot chocolate in the house because I end up putting double or triple the normal amount of powder in a mug to make it an extra sweet sludge. When I say sugar addict, I mean that quite literally. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to just buy less liquor and portion it out better. And it's not that I have intentionally cut sugar, just making healthier choices which naturally leads to consuming less empty calories like sugar.
    My goal is the 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein so I have greatly increased my protein intake and no I haven't cut caffeine.
    I'm starting to feel like a freak though because no one seems to understand the physiological addiction. It's more than knowledge, willpower and planning...

That part there that I bolded. You are not "addicted" to sugar. Sugar is not an addictive substance in the same way drugs and such are. You MIGHT be used to the feelings the sugar give you, between the way your body produces insulin and thus feeling lower lows, and you might be used to the endorphins and serotonin that your brain makes when you eat carbohydrates. But those things are not addictions, they are a "comfort zone". You MIGHT have headaches or physical reactions to reducing your overall carbohydrate intake or switching from quicker metabolised simple carbohydrates to slower metabolised complex-carbs, but that is not the same thing as true withdrawals.

It is ridiculously offensive to me that you would try to liken your CHOICE to not deal with a little bit of discomfort the the very real and LIFE THREATENING reality that make up true chemical dependency. Peope DIE from withdrawals. Their heart stops because they stop taking drugs. You know what will happen to you if you stop eating plain sugar? You might get a headache. You might feel a bit hungrier than normal. Maybe some digestive upset. Now stop playing the victim and make the decision. You do want to make the change or you don't.

• etheridgetracy1
    etheridgetracy1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 days into it, I have fibre one chocolate brownies in my cupboard. I guess you could say it's not quite the same, but if I have extra calories in my day left, and I crave a treat, I will grab one, and I have a sense of satisfaction. I too love sugar, such as in cakes, bars etc. It is hard but I want to lose weight more!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Ahh, I always love it when people compare sugar cravings to alcoholism.