Elliptical vs Treadmill?

Options
I hear good things on both but actually purchasing for home which is best?

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The one that you will use is the best. Have you used an elliptical or a treadmill? I would recommend trying some workouts on each to see which you like better. (Some gyms offer a free one week trial that you could use to test out elliptical vs. treadmill.)

I love running, so I have a treadmill. The elliptical is like mind torture to me. My friend has an elliptical and loves it. It really is about preference.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your preferences. I love my elliptical, mainly because I have a bad knee. Treadmills are never going to be my thing.
  • skeltonblues
    skeltonblues Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes I used both just as I'm getting older many physicians have said elliptical is best to help pressure on joints put I like a treadmill too.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would say a treadmill because a treadmill actually trains you to do something that you can use in your daily life.

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Yes I used both just as I'm getting older many physicians have said elliptical is best to help pressure on joints put I like a treadmill too.

Pfft!! you are not old.

Me personally, if I am going to run I want to do it outside. If I run inside on a treadmill there has to be people around me doing the same or it just sucks. Not that I am talking to them, just seems to add a little more drive. I don't have that issue on the elliptical. I can do an hour on the elliptical without a problem.

When it comes to caloric burn, I wear a Polar HRM when doing both and the burn is about the same. I will add though, I make sure I am working, not doing the lowest setting talking to people around me. Heart rate is elevated as if I am running outside. I could talk but it wouldn't be a quick conversation.

• futuremommyt
    futuremommyt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical and love it. It gives a little arm workout too, and it just "feels" easier, even though I sweat more on it than a treadmill and get my heart racing faster. It's simply that it's less impact which I love.

Be careful though. If you get an elliptical, make sure to keep pushing yourself and increasing resistance. Too often people kinda glide on them rather than upping resistance -- not much of a workout.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    I use both but I love me the treadmill!
  • msjohnsondp
    Options
    Both works for me. The settings make all the difference.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I would say a treadmill because a treadmill actually trains you to do something that you can use in your daily life.

This.

The elliptical forces you into a particular stride length whether or not it is appropriate for you.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    one point to consider if all other pros and cons end up on 50/50 for you: elliptical is significantly quieter
  • skeltonblues
    skeltonblues Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is all very true kind of 50/50 it seems
  • GoingBrowntown
    GoingBrowntown Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My parents bought a treadmill but I can rarely use the thing because it's so loud. We're putting it in the garage soon, where I'll never go, because spiders.