Please start listing foods in both weight and volume

Options
For those of us who eat lunch in an office cafeteria every day, listing things like stir-fried vegetables in just grams is not optimal. I am not ever going to be able to take a food scale in to lunch and weigh everything on my plate.

I can guestimate a cup of rice, or a cup of chopped carrots, no idea what they weigh. I'm sure those who have been cooking with weight all their lives could tell me what they weigh, but no idea what volume my veggies were.

Some people are already doing it, for example my baked fish filet today. It listed grams, but then added (about 6 x 4). It doesn't matter whether it's inches or cm, that I can figure out. But I'd have no idea what the fish weighed without picking it up in my hand. :)

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    You can estimate weight by sight. That or start bringing your own lunch with you instead of buying food at the cafeteria, which means both better accuracy and more money in your wallet.

Entries ARE in both measures, unless they are generically entered by users who choose to just use weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you find the better entries they have both options. That will help you for rice, for example (although you need to find out if fat is added and if so add that). For "baked fish" you need the type of fish and should beware of user inputted entries. For stir fried veggies, you'd need to identify the specific veggies, and for all veggie entries there are good options already with both weight and volume. (Anyway, the main calories there are going to be the fat that is added, which you'd have to ask about--no entry will help you.)

Some common cafeteria suppliers are in the database, I think.

The MFP input ones are the ones without asterisks, and they have tons of measurement options.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If you find the better entries they have both options. That will help you for rice, for example (although you need to find out if fat is added and if so add that). For "baked fish" you need the type of fish and should beware of user inputted entries. For stir fried veggies, you'd need to identify the specific veggies, and for all veggie entries there are good options already with both weight and volume. (Anyway, the main calories there are going to be the fat that is added, which you'd have to ask about--no entry will help you.)

Some common cafeteria suppliers are in the database, I think.

The MFP input ones are the ones without asterisks, and they have tons of measurement options.

Yeah but this doesn't show up on the phone. Probably better to pre-log if OP already knows what they want to eat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, right. I'll leave that to others, then. I never log on my phone, and know it's different.