What are your fitness goals?

Options
I've been finding it difficult to motivate myself to exercise as I'm the type of person who needs a goal to aim for.

Today I got that goal. I signed up for the Race for Life.

Justgiving.com/spencetown

I'm aiming to finish the race in good time and without feeling like I want to collapse at the finish. Plus it's also an excellent cause.

What are your fitness aims/goals and did you find that they pushed you to achieve more than thought you could?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's evolved. Initially it was 5Km in sub 30 minutes, then a sub 60 min 10km, and subsequently a sub 2 hr half marathon. Didn't quite get there at my last race as I picked up a knee injury less than half way through the race so landed at 2:07.

This year it remains sub 2 hr half, a sub 4:20 marathon and a sub 4 hour metric century ride.
  • lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just want to finish the 5k! I've got 2 months to work my way from zero fitness to 5k fitness. Any tips?
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Back in fall I met my goal of running 5k no walking, but after a winter of snow and ice and temperatures too low to run outdoors I'm sure I need to work back up to that. On top of that some day I hope to get to the point of being able to finish all the requirements for the 'Iron Maiden' RKC challenge.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I admire people who can run. I simply can't find it in myself to put one foot in front of the other for that long! Haha....

At the moment I'm trying to grow some more muscle so that when I compete again (Bodybuilding, in a comp at the end of this year) I've made some improvements since competing last! Not long before prep starts again
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Admiration to you! Setting goals....sounds like a good one - wish you luck on your race! :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a couple of races this year, including to half marathons and my first full one in September. Goal is to survive the full with a smile on my face.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My 1 RM on cleans is 170 Lbs...I've surpassed my initial goal of 160 Lbs...my next goal is 185 Lbs (body weight) and ultimately somewhere in the neighborhood of 270 Lbs.

I currently have a 1RM snatch of 120 Lbs...my next goal is 135 and ultimately body weight.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My fitness goal is for my body fat percentage to be under 20% by August. Simple, but extremely ambitious.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    lisasp4 wrote: »
    I just want to finish the 5k! I've got 2 months to work my way from zero fitness to 5k fitness. Any tips?

Couch to 5K.

I used the NHS podcasts initially.

• lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Downloaded couch to 5k and will start tomorrow
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    There is a C25K group that's pretty active. I went from feeling the effort on day one to half marathon in about 18 months.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Through the Winter it was to maintain strength and endurance. Now that Spring is here, it's just to get a bit of cardio on days it's not nice enough to work outside.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to wipe my own butt when I’m 105.

It is a goal that has me eating better foods, working to keep my body fat in check, gaining strength and muscle mass, and addressing my weaknesses in mobility and balance.

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am about 3lbs off of my 100lb loss. This year, my goal is to complete a 171km bike ride from my current city to the city I was born and raised in. I also plan to get my BF% down to 20, hopefully by the end of the year.

I tried Insanity this last January and made it to the 3rd week in month 2 then gave up. I will doing Insanity again January 2016. That is all I have for goals at this time.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

It is a goal that has me eating better foods, working to keep my body fat in check, gaining strength and muscle mass, and addressing my weaknesses in mobility and balance.
    I'm mostly with you, but also I want a big round butt. I have suffered from flat *kitten* syndrome my entire life.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I'm mostly with you, but also I want a big round butt. I have suffered from flat *kitten* syndrome my entire life.

Heavy squats, deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts.

• peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to run and complete a marathon. At this time last year, if you asked me if I'd ever be able to run more than a 5k again (I'd been completely sedentary for nearly 7 years), I'd have said you were nuts. Personal events inspired me to start running late last spring. After stretching and warming up, I went for my first run...which was only around the block, I was so out of breath at that point, I thought I was going to pass out. By the end of August, I was doing 3 to 5 miles a day and felt great (albeit out of breath) afterwards, and was doing as much as 7 miles in a single run without stopping or walking by the end of December. Unfortunately, the New England winter weather caused me to not be able to run for a few months. I was finally able to start running again a few weeks ago, and I'm already back to doing 3 to 5 miles at about 8:15 pace. A year ago, I'd have struggled to walk that far in three hours.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Last year it was to complete a 5k without stopping. This year it's to get my 5K time under 30 minutes, and maybe by fall complete a 10k.
    And to do one complete unassisted pull up (to start).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Heavy squats, deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts.
    How about that Bulgarian Split Squat (probably I have the name wrong but I know you know what I mean)?
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have vertigo. My goal each day is to manage to walk down a hall without bumping into the wall. :)