Snacks

Options
Is it a good idea to eat snacks in between meals or just eat 3 meals a day? My snacks are usually fruit, nuts or small sweet treats. I find usually I have to use some of my exercise calories to have enough calories for dinner.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You can do what suits you best. Personally, I feel better when I eat bigger meals less frequently - my energy is more even, and I get less hungry between meals. When I ate 6-7 times a day I'd constantly be starving and counting down the minutes til my next meal. I'd also crash in the afternoons.... Don't get that anymore!

You might find that including more protein and fat in your meals keeps you satisfied longer and not needing a snack in between. Also try going for a protein/fat snack if you need something....
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    It is all about personal preference. What works for you?

Food timing and number of meals is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I will usually have a small snack between meals, helps me to not overeat at meal time. Usually a boiled egg mid-morning, and maybe cheese or a piece of chocolate to pick me up mid-afternoon.
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do what works with your schedule. I try to not eat snacks between meals, and only have a planned snack after dinner. I do sometimes have fruit when driving home from school. I put an extra piece in my lunch. If I don't eat it, I have it the next day for lunch.
  • pattywedge
    pattywedge Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, you helped a lot.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry or lethargic between meals, go for it!

I usually have a piece of fruit mid afternoon, but I am not hungry between breakfast and lunch…

As the others said, do what works for you!
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I eat snacks if I'm overly hungry between meals, or if I know I need to limit one meal later without being too tempted. (i.e. I eat a healthy snack so that I can eat less of dinner when I'm eating at a friend's house and I know she's making something fried)

I think my snacking has been reduced since a side effect of tracking my food has been making better choices of what to buy and cook, so I don't end up on the blood-sugar/sweet snacks roller coaster as much.

For me, feeling extremely hungry can lead to lapses in willpower/judgement so generally it's better for me to have a nutritious snack than to force myself to wait and then end up miserable and/or overeating later.
  • melaniewalker63
    melaniewalker63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have my three meals a day with a small snack in between meals also and then after supper at some point. I have also been told to break the fasting cycle after sleep, eat something to start your metabolism again.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have my three meals a day with a small snack in between meals also and then after supper at some point. I have also been told to break the fasting cycle after sleep, eat something to start your metabolism again.

Your metabolism doesn't need a daily "restart." If you like to eat something after sleep, you should. But your body will use energy to function regardless.
  • pattywedge
    pattywedge Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love reading all the comments. One problem I have is I think I have to eat a snack even if I am not hungry and when I have drank my water it seems to keep me feeling full.