Marine Corps Marathon

Options
Anyone running the Marine Corps Marathon in October??

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Just cheering on all the runners from home. Gotta support the Corps :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I wish! I didn't put my name in the lottery, and now I'm regretting it :(
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's a great race. I ran it last year as my first marathon and loved it. It was also in the upper-60s for the day which was wonderful. The scene at the bridge is really funny. Since mile 21 is the "beat the bridge" location many runners take a bit of a break there. Some walk, some jog at a lower pace, and others stretch (among other things). All of this while many are limping, letting out tension, or reliving cramps. It also has a slight incline. The scene truly looks like something from "The Walking Dead"

In all it's a great race, wonderful crowds, beautiful scenery, and plenty of things to do i nthe area before and after.
  • BlondieRuns262
    BlondieRuns262 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift you should look into the bib swap! I'm not sure if it's open yet, but I'm sure it's worth looking into.

Thanks for the insight @RoyalMoose11. This will be my first full...I know it's months away but I already feel a mix of emotions! I'm really looking forward to the whole experience ☺
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would love to run it. I'm a proud Marine vet and would love to run in honor of friends long gone. Unfortunately there is an event in my city that every single officer has to work the same weekend and I can't. Not til I retire and by then I'll be so old lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's been on my list of "one of these days I'm gonna do that"
    it's the only Marathon I have any real drive to want to do.

I wish you the best of luck!!!
  • BlondieRuns262
    BlondieRuns262 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Age is just a number, @tgardi!!

Thanks, @JoRocka, I appreciate it :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For some reason MCM is the only road Marathon I've got much interest in. As I recall foreign military don't need to go into the ballot, which might make it affordable given the need for flights and accommodation for a few day beforehand to acclimatise.
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @BlondieRuns262 that is the truth. I've done a couple halfs. Unfortunately my knees are starting to show the life of a Marine grunt. We will have to see when the time comes!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    It is on my race bucket list for sure.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm running it!
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice. It's a great marathon, loads of spectators for pretty much the entire course. They changed it up 2 years ago, my first time (2012) it was easy to "chunk" the race into a bunch of 10ks - each with it's own little "gotcha" hill or technical challenge. Last year was OK, I didn't feel like it was as well grouped.

Weather can go either way too, first time I believe there was snain (chunky rain), last year and the year before good/better weather.

It's a great first/last/emotional race. And the course looks like a penis when you go around the Mall....so way to go Marines!