Low Potassium Levels??

Options
BigLifter10
BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been tracking my food for 250 days and two days ago I decided to swap out sugar for potassium as a category in my log. I was shocked to see that, according to my logging, the potassium levels I am getting are not up to par. Supposedly, the 'avg' intake for an adult is 4500 or so milligrams. I regularly log anywhere from 1200 to 2800 - max (I may have had one or two days where I was about 3200).

Anyone out there experienced low potassium? I ask because I got to thinking that maybe there is a reason for feeling sluggish in the gym recently (within the last month or so). I took a week off entirely (light walking outdoors a couple of times), but no lifting. I went back and still felt like I was dragging.

Had a general physical two weeks ago and am going to increase my leafy greens again (cut back when I stopped making regular smoothies) and have a supplement of 99 mg one time per day. I am trying to do what I can and see how I feel before I make a trip back to the doc for anything else. I already know I do not get enough sleep and working on that, but it's difficult - I am just too anxious in general. Lots of things to deal with lately so I feel "ON" most of the time and I'm pooped.

My training normally consists of three days of 30 min cardio (I vary it) and five days of weights (not always heavy). The fifth day came from a recent addition of a glute day. I do take a multi-vitamin, fish oil and CLA.

Any one have any tips from personal experience? Just hoping I can nip this myself.

Thanks!

(P.S. I haven't done potassium-specific blood work yet, just going off how I feel and what I chart. I don't have an open diary, I'm just asking based on the numbers.)

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Are you certain that all of the foods you’re logging have the appropriate potassium level? If you’re eating fruits and veggies, you’re probably getting enough.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just a head's up: a lot of foods in the MFP system don't have Potassium listed, so although you may be consuming enough Potassium, it 'looks' as if you don't.

This is apparently because a lot (or all?) of food labels (in the USA) don't list Potassium, so therefore people say it's 0, since nobody actually has a clue. (Here in Canada we list Potassium on our nutritional labels.)

I too was panicking about my devastatingly low Potassium levels until I found this out. I still try to get Potassium in me, but I don't look at the numbers on MFP.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    YES.
    I felt the same way; when looking at my potassium recomedations and my intake I was always falling short (see earlier Post and replies here: Failing Potassium

Three things:
    1. One most people (americans?) do not meet the Recommended Potassium intake. The typical foods do not have Potassium rich components
    2. Most people could eat more Fruit (which is generally high in Potassium
    3. Most of the data in the MFP's Food Database fail to list the Potassium content. There is Potassium in many of the foods you eat (e.g., Yogurt) however the entry in MFP (and often on the label) fail to cite the amount.

I got some good advice from my earlier call, so I'll turn that around:
    • Eat more Fruit, Mangoes, Kiwi, and of course bananas are rich sources
    • When searching the MFP database, use USDA as a search string; these entries most often include the full nutrion count (including Potassium)
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I noticed really low potassium levels in my logging a few months ago (also when I added it to my diary). By boosting my intake of foods high in potassium (raw baby spinach, sweet potato, bananas, etc) I noticed a difference in how I felt in general. More pep in my step! Sodium and potassium levels are the two micros that I pay close attention to. I'm always happy when I find foods that fit both of them.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options

The FDA does not currently require potassium to be on nutrition labels, although there is a proposal to add it: fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm

That means that you might be getting more potassium in your foods than you think, so perhaps you might look up the foods on an external website since MFP folks frequently don't add in the details and just scan from labels. A decent site is: nutritiondata.self.com/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Just a head's up: a lot of foods in the MFP system don't have Potassium listed, so although you may be consuming enough Potassium, it 'looks' as if you don't.

This ^^

If you eat a variety of foods you are likely getting plenty. Also, if you are having regular check-up and blood work, low potassium would likley show up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that potassium isn't required on food labels and many of the entries in MFP come from food labels...it is likely you are getting more than you think you are getting.

Increasing your leafy greens and veg in take in general will help...but if you're worried about it you should be eating lots of potatoes/sweet potatoes (eat the skin), things like low sodium V8 (V8 in general, but the regular stuff has tons of sodium), tomato sauces, coconut water, etc all pack a big potassium punch.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it much. If you were truly experiencing low Potassium you would probably be in the hospital.
  • BigLifter10
    Options
    Thanks for all the input and links. I will be looking into it all. I am concerned, and am hoping it is something that simple. I have curtailed a lot of things lately in my mini-cut (6 weeks) that I would normally have. I'm seeing a lot of patterns with the same foods lately. I need to make an effort to change that.

I am definitely in need of more 'pep in my step'. It's like I went from high energy, let's do this in the gym to....holy cow, how will I ever make it through this training time? I do not like the feeling.

Appreciate all the help! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    If you like V8, one 11.5 ounce can has more than 1/2 the RDA of potassium for only 70 calories.
  • BigLifter10
    Options
    If you like V8, one 11.5 ounce can has more than 1/2 the RDA of potassium for only 70 calories.

I'm not a big fan, but I will do it anyway because I want to see if I have positive results that carry over to the gym. I will drink it and be okay with it. It is just never something I go to buy. I will be doing that - probably today!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of potatoes? If so, you're probably getting plenty...

If not... eat some potatoes!
  • BigLifter10
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

No, but do have sweet potatoes on occasion. I like potatoes though....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

No, but do have sweet potatoes on occasion. I like potatoes though....

Yeah, sweet pots have it.

But regular pots are hard to beat!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    It's actually in SO many foods - mushrooms, squash, berries, bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, dark leafy greens, beans, avocado, fish, melons, raisins, oranges, tomato sauce/juice
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have a condition called hypokalemia, chronic low potassium. The symptoms you are describing could be potassium deficiency but probably not, do you get tingling in your hands and face, or muscle cramps/charlie horse? Weakness bordering on paralysis in your extremities? Those are signs of a bad deficiency. The tingling and muscle cramps are a mild deficiency. I have been hospitalized a few times because of this issue. MFP does not track potassium properly as some have mentioned.

If you eat avocados, sweet potatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bananas, spinach, milk, even coffee.....you are probably getting enough. To be 100% certain a basic metabolic panel can be ordered by your Dr anything from 3.5-5.7 is normal. Example of "really bad" was the 1.9 that caused me to have a seizure and end up in hospital.

Hope you get it figured out and feeling better!!!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Let us know what your potassium labs say--I'm curious too (my MFP is always low). My doctor friend says I get plenty with the types of food I eat.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Potassium should not be a problem for the vast majority here. Others such as myself with salicylate intolerance/sensitivity are unable to eat most of the fruits and veg which contain potassium which leaves us exposed. Others with renal and associated issues can have too much. I am sure we are the few.

I agree adding potassium to the content of even mineral pills was impossible when I tried the other day. I have to keep a separate running total. Not the most convenient.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This is a an important issue to me. The new food labels are proposing potassium as a required item and I hope it makes it to the approved form. Most of us don't know our potassium intake. For certain people, too little or too much potassium can be dangerous.

4700 milligrams is the FDA recommended amount of potassium for an average person. Active people require more potassium as potassium is lost while sweating.

An ideal ratio of potassium to sodium is 2 milligrams of potassium to every 1 gram of sodium, unless you have kidney issues. The ratio for most average Americans is generally the opposite. High sodium intake coupled with low potassium leads to high blood pressure. An active person can increase their sodium intake as long as the 2 to 1 ratio is maintained.

Most nutritionists recommend getting potassium from food sources, not taking potassium supplements. Good food sources include salmon, potatoes, beans and most dairy products and fruits and vegetables. Beans can lose their potassium if they are boiled and the water is drained away.

I don't work in the medical industry, but I've read a lot about this topic. I was on blood pressure medication for a while, but I'm off of it now and my blood pressure is normal thanks to diet and exercise.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Despite a diet high in both white beans and leafy greens, my potassium was persistently low on my blood work. I started supplementing every day and am back in range. Bloodwork is a good way to get firm answers, and depending on the reason that you're low, you may not be able to get enough from just changing your diet. (I have absorption problems, so I just try to eat well and supplement until I'm in range...) Also look into your magnesium intake, as many Americans are low in magnesium, and there appears to be some link in the interactions of magnesium and potassium.