Mashed avocado with ranch dressing seasoning blend?

Options
WindSparrow
WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
Has anyone ever tried swapping out sour cream for mashed avocado when making homemade ranch dressing?

I've been using mashed avocado in place of mayo in chicken and tuna salad, it's delicious that way. I'm not really trying to reduce the amount of fat in these foods, just trying to eliminate empty calories.

Replies

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I will give it a try. I use avocado instead of mayo on sandwiches/burgers and it's great, but never tried it with tuna salad or chicken salad. I love avocado on anything!
  • WindSparrow
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think I would have already tried the ranch dressing idea myself except that avocados seem to mysteriously disappear when my fiance is around. Let me know how it turns out if you do make it before I do.
  • cskye333
    cskye333 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea! I also enjoy making a simple spread out of avocado and hot sauce. I add just enough to add a little flavor, although if you're into spicy things, you could certainly add more. Sometimes I'll have it on crackers or toast for an easy snack/lunch, but it's also amazing in grilled cheese.
  • PacificLotus
    PacificLotus Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Never thought of that...I have avocado with egg whites every morning, and sometimes eat it raw on crackers, or sandwiches, but not as a sub for mayo. Sounds awesome! I'm game for trying avocado-ranch dressing, what a great combo!
  • WindSparrow
    Options
    Oooh grilled cheese... sounds good.

Just bought more, but they are still rock-hard. In the meantime I have told the man how many he has to leave for me. Maybe I'll get a chance to try this sometime this week.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have made an avocado lime ranch using plain Greek yogurt, mashed avocado and lime juice with ranch seasoning powder. It was really yummy. I need to do it again.
  • WindSparrow
    Options
    Ohhhhhh, that sounds amazing! Lime and ranch. Yum!
  • WindSparrow
    Options
    Well, I am sad to say that I did try it... and I didn't love it. When I tasted it, it tasted ok, but I could not eat it. Have you ever taken a bite of something and had to stop eating it because of a visceral feeling that it was not what your body needs? That was what happened. Judging by the rate at which my fiance polished off the bowl of ranch seasoned mashed avocado, it worked for him. So anyone else who thinks it sounded like a good idea should try regardless of my reaction.

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I think you might need to thin it out a little with Greek yogurt or even a bit of buttermilk.
  • tshuk00
    tshuk00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try using fat free Greek yogurt (I like Chobani because it's low sugar compared to most other brands) instead of sour cream. Much better protein, far less calories, and it has a very similar taste and texture.
  • WindSparrow
    Options
    In the end, I did cut it by about half with plain Greek yogurt... still didn't quite work for me. I also added some diced tomatoes. It tasted good then, but it felt like it was sitting in my gut like a rock. I have noticed the same thing sometimes with guacamole. I feel fine eating avocados in most other things, though. On the other hand, like I said, the fiancé really liked it and had no trouble with it.

tshuk00, I like using plain Greek yogurt as a dip all by itself. It does add something special to a lot of things.

Thanks all, for encouraging this experiment.

I can report that I still like avocado in tuna and chicken salad - mashed up and substituting for the mayo.