big gal kayaking fear/question

Options
Basically my boss has asked if i can go kayaking with her daughter tomorrow since she is out of town. Im getting paid (on the clock, lunch provided, over time rate plus more under the table). Im ok with this, but i have never been kayaking before. Canoeing 20 years ago, yes, but never kayaking. I'm only 10lbs into my 112lb journey. What if I don't fit or I sink the kayak (282ish at 5ft 7)? Do other large folks like me on here go kayaking? Aaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!! All these (and more) what ifs are making me nervous. Words of advice? Anybody? Please?! :#

Ps
Please excuse any typos....my phone is being stupid for a smart phone

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First off, safety before valor. Make sure you get a safety vest that fits and works for you. If not, bail.

Are you on a lake, in the ocean or on a river? If a river, what level of rapids?

Under normal circumstances, on a lake, you should be able to go at a moderate pace and be ok. If it gets more intense than that, bail.

Your health and safety outweigh impressing the boss.
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, without a doubt on the safety thing. I grew up sailing, so my life vest is already in my truck. It is either a lake or a quiet part of the intercoastal water way. It's a group of 3rd graders and their "guardians", so no where busy. From what i understand, it is roughly 2 hrs, but that includes stopping and hiking on some little islands too.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I went kayaking a couple of years back, and I'm 6'1". At the time I was around 320lbs.
  • kbsangel1986
    Options
    I went kayaking a couple of years back, and I'm 6'1". At the time I was around 320lbs.
    Thank you :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, without a doubt on the safety thing. I grew up sailing, so my life vest is already in my truck. It is either a lake or a quiet part of the intercoastal water way. It's a group of 3rd graders and their "guardians", so no where busy. From what i understand, it is roughly 2 hrs, but that includes stopping and hiking on some little islands too.

Pace yourself and let the kid paddle. Enjoy the view, have fun, they have motors, let them use them... :-)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Different kayaks have different weight limits. Ours is 275 but I'm sure there's a safety factor built in where you'd be fine at 282. Is there a way to find out in advance and research?
  • kbsangel1986
    Options
    Is there a way to find out in advance and research?

Im waiting for my boss yo get back to her hotel room so she can text me the info (location, time, etc). Once that is done, i will attempt to. In the mean time, i will nervously pace the house and keep googling local info which kind of sucks....
    Im 15 miles from 5 beaches and the icw. Far too many kayaking places here :/
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My family has several kayaks that we use on a lake. They have open cockpits, so they aren't closed in, nor are they just completely open (sit on tops). I've used mine for years at the top end of the 200s, and my family (some who are quite big as well) use them too. We've never had any issues! If you have a choice, pick a longer boat as it will hold more weight better. That being said, I agree with the others as to making sure the kayak you use is appropriate.

If you end up going, enjoy yourself! Kayaking is a great workout, and lots of fun. :)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This is great info and I'm glad someone asked the question. We have kayaking near here but I thought I'd have to be much much further along with weight loss to even fit in one lol. Now I plan on adding it to our summer activities B)
  • kbsangel1986
    Options
    Well, i just found out about 15 minutes ago that the school owns the kayaks and the dock, so i guess it is a waiting game for the next hour. It is currently raining cats and dogs, so who knows if they will still go? I will update when i get back :)
  • renee6515
    renee6515 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So glad this was asked, Ive always wanted to go kayaking but nervous at same time. This is answering some of my question since Im a big gal too. I know I want a "open cockpit" as stated above but never thought about the length of kayak being a factor...any other advise?? Will be looking into this more soon since its time to start up the pontoon (want to attach kayak to side of it so we can do both) Ill be on a lake only, no way would I do an ocean! yikes!
    lol
  • kbsangel1986
    Options
    We went in the tidal creeks, and it was crazy low tide, so most of the time we were sloshing along dragging the kayak. 30mins total paddle time,90 mins walking and looking at stuff. Still, TONS of fun