How to stop binge eating?

Options
Hi all -

So here's my story. I'm a 22 year old active female. Current weight 125 lbs and about 5'5". I work out 6 days a week. I do a lot of cardio, usually no more than 3 miles a day. My normal workout schedule is as follows:

Monday: Cardio. 4-7 mile run depending.
Tuesday: Short run (3 miles) then lifting shoulders and chest.
Wednesday: Cardio. 4-7 mile run depending.
Thursday: Short run (3 miles) then leg day.
Friday: Usually rest day. If I do work out, it's usually a cardio day. 3-4 miles usually.
Saturday: Cardio (4-7 miles) in the morning. Triceps and biceps in the afternoon.
Sunday: Cario (3-4 miles usually) and abs.

I usually eat very healthy throughout the day and while I am at work. Where my real troubles are is when I get home from work and the gym.

At work, I normally have a yogurt and banana for breakfast, sandwich and an apple for lunch and then a protein bar before the gym. When I get home, I will normally have a healthy dinner or pan seared chicken or salmon with a salad and cottage cheese.

After dinner, though, I find myself constantly thinking about food. I always feel like eating after dinner and often times it's uncontrollable. When I'm at home food is all that I think about. I have tried in the past to understand why I am feeling like eating when I'm home, to see if it was some sort of emotional thing. I can't seem to draw a conclusion.

I normally tend to binge on some junk food (usually pretzels or mixed nuts) or cereal.

Can anyone provide any advice as to how to stop binging like this at nighttime? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• crystal_oo
    crystal_oo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had this problem as well. I found that it's getting easier for me to just keep healthy pre-made things in the fridge. When I can't stop thinking about food after I've had one of these healthy snacks, I brush my teeth. If that doesn't help I go for a walk, take a hot bath or shower, or read.
    It's been a struggle... I also have anxiety/ moderate depression, and I do SO WELL all day, but man.. then the night time comes and all I can think about is what to eat. If I don't have it in the house, I can't eat it.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I try to keep myself busy. Find something to do to get my mind off of the food that is in the kitchen. It is hard at times but usually works.
  • twilly910
    twilly910 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do the same thing, I can do great all day, but when I am home alone, it's like the food is calling me. Lately I have been trying to get on track and instead of going to the kitchen, I try to find something to distract me. I'll get on the stair stepper for 5 minutes, or write a quick card to a friend, something to just distract me for a few minutes until the urge goes away. If I do cave, then I will have something that I pre-cut (or got ready) - some carrot sticks or blanched string beans - something with very few calories. Hope that helps.
  • HRmy2015
    HRmy2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    With you being so active , I don't think you're eating enough . You might be genuinely hungry and when your tired at the end of the day you can't make good food choices . Can you add a quarter cup of oatmeal to breakfast and another protein to lunch ( cottage cheese with nuts ? Or apple with almond butter ? ).
  • loveliftlaughxo
    loveliftlaughxo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing up the book, Brain Over Binge. It is super helpful in understanding the cause and stopping it. Binge eating is a serious thing despite what a lot of people think. I've been battling it for over two years and I am suffering from internal problems in my stomach because of it. If you really feel that you are suffering from it I suggest you seek professional help for it.