Ahhh my legs!! n00b runner needs advice!

Options
Hi All,

I've been on MFP for a few months and had success so far with cutting my cals and eating healthy to lose weight. I'm now trying to gear up my exercise and the most efficient way seems to be to get into running.

I'm 5ft3 and currently ~180lb so quite overweight for my height. I'm not, by any means fit, but I'm not a total slob - I cycle to work, do Zumba and bits and bobs in the gym. I started the c25k programme which seemed an ideal way for me to get into running. I bought myself some running shoes (Asics gt2150) and got going. I got to week 2 but my legs are killing me and I'm worried I'm doing damage, or maybe I'm just being a *****? This is the question I'd like to ask - should I push through the pain? Or stop/fix?

The absolute limiting factor in my being able to run seems to be the pain in my legs and feet (rather than being out of breath or tired). Day 1 it was my feet that were sore, and I thought - fair enough, wearing in new shoes etc.

By week 2 my legs (specifically the insides of my calves - not my ankles or my knees) are really painful. They hurt for about 2 days after running. I tried running in my old trainers and my legs still hurt.

So advice/vote please - do I....
Option 1 - keep running and stop moaning
Option 2 - realise there is something up and figure out what the problem is

Thanks for listening and all advice welcome,

Leila

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi ya,try walking at 1st,then on to speed walking..it builds up those leg muscles like anything!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Newbie runner here too and my run last night my legs hurt too, make sure you are stretching good before the run, breath deeply and make sure to stay hydrated.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but as its not joint pain I would probably push on. If it was joint pain I would be a lot more concerned. You don't say how many days a week you are running but maybe you just need more rest days?
  • bstiver
    bstiver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It sound like what I get, shin splints. I am working my way into running. I walk around a track and walk most of it (its .4 miles a lap at 4 mph) and then I will job the last little part of it. After every lap or two I stop and stretch my calves. It has helped alot. I don't get the pain any more and now I am having to do it less and less (unless I don't do it for a while, which I had to start all over today).
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend stopping.

Is this running inside like tradmill or outside? Sorry if I missed that.

If outside maybe take it inside to build up your legs a little. If already inside I would say reduce incline and distance. Also take a look at your speed or pace and maybe scale that back until you feel better in the legs.

I started back into outside running in Feb and my calves killed but it went away as I ran more.

Keep it up! :glasses:
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    So far I've done
    Last week - Monday, Wednesday, Saturday
    This week - Monday

All c25k programme so more walking than running actually involved. It is definetly not my joints, it seems to be the bits inbetween my ankles and my knees.

So far I've been running on treadmill and outside (on tarmac through a park)
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I would go back to week one and do that another week. Also, don't run so fast. Do more of a slow jog. I am 5 foot 4 and 198 and I am doing C25K also. I just finished week one but I'm going to do another day or 2 of it before I move on just to make sure I'm not pushing myself! Good luck!!
  • njrower
    njrower Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Option 3: Make sure the sneakers you purchased are right for you. When I first starting running, I had the same issues as you. I din't know that the type of sneakerswer etaht important. I just went out and bought a pair of Nike running shoes. Hell, they looked nice and felt kind of comfortable in the store. a Month later and every day I run I am have issues with pain. I went to a "running Store" and got fitted. Ended up getting fitted for Asics Kayanos. Once I purchased, my issues went away. That was 20 pairs of Asics Kayanos ago. Maybe try getting fitted for teh proper sneakers may help you out. Good Luck!
  • rjyoung
    rjyoung Posts: 17
    Options
    Sounds like you might have shin splints. There are stretches you can do to help. You can probably find some online. I had this problem when I started running. Keep going. As your muscles get stronger, it should go away. Icing the inside of your shins after running can also help a little.

I love C25K, by the way. When I started it, I hadn't run anywhere for about 15 years. Now, if I run less than 3 miles at a time, I feel like it wasn't a full workout. I never thought I would be able to say that! I just started the Bridge to 10 K, which is a continuation of the C25K program. Good luck to you!

Rachel
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Muscle soreness in your feet and legs is normal if you are just starting out.

Keep it up! Watch out for sharp pains, but eventually the soreness will subside as your legs get stronger.
  • Bethy25
    Bethy25 Posts: 73
    Options
    I just started the Couch 2 5K three weeks ago. My first two weeks I hurt pretty bad too. I upped my stretching beforehand, eat a fruit about an hour before and more water and just this week it's actually become enjoyable for me! I'd give those things a shot and see if that helps. You could also try to change up the surface you are running on. I started on pavement but I think that was too much impact so I am now running on a gravel trail.

Hope this helps!
    ~Beth
  • kiracupcake
    Options
    It sounds like muscle pain... and I had the same problem with the Asics I bought. Yes, you are going to have some discomfort in running if you havn't before, but shoes can make a big difference. I would recommend going to a specialty shoe store where they do an analysis on your foot and how you displace your weight. Maybe ask around at your gym to see if there is one in your neighborhood. I still had to go through a few shoes even with their help, but I think I've found a pair that will work- only mild muscle pain- which I hope will go away after wearing in the shoes...
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I went to a running clinic last week and I learn that proper warm up is key. Start with little stretches like rotating your hips, do windmills and walk for a few minutes to warm up, after the r un is when the real stretches come in. Make sure you target all muscle groups. It seems to help me, hope it helps!
  • jgrice
    jgrice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty new to running but when I started I had the same exact problems. My hips, knees, ankles, and shins where in agony at various points during and after the run.

First I had the wrong type of running shoe for my gate. I found this out by getting fitted for a running shoe at one of the local running supply shoppes. Second my mind was willing but my body was not capable. I started breaking my runs up into intervals of walking and running and gradually switched it all the way over to running.

Now I run 5k's for fun, I'm never first place but I'm close to the top.
  • kdunn775
    kdunn775 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I joined a C25k group-I had terrible shin splints which is most likely what you have. The best thing to do is to stop and heal them-but if you are like me you won't want to stop. I would take a 2 day break here and there but never long enough to heal. The speed walking HELPED a lot. It got me in shape and allowed my shins a rest at the same time. I pretty much walked and ran for 6 months with shin splints. Not so smart. But, miraculously for the last 2 weeks I have been able to run completely pain free for the first time since I started. I bought the compression socks and everything-don't waste your money. The smart thing to do-stop running until you are pain free. Walk instead. Use ice before and after and stretch after you warm up but before you run. (Never stretch a cold muscle).
    I am now running 4 -10 miniute miles! Good luck.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I've been on MFP for a few months and had success so far with cutting my cals and eating healthy to lose weight. I'm now trying to gear up my exercise and the most efficient way seems to be to get into running.

I'm 5ft3 and currently ~180lb so quite overweight for my height. I'm not, by any means fit, but I'm not a total slob - I cycle to work, do Zumba and bits and bobs in the gym. I started the c25k programme which seemed an ideal way for me to get into running. I bought myself some running shoes (Asics gt2150) and got going. I got to week 2 but my legs are killing me and I'm worried I'm doing damage, or maybe I'm just being a *****? This is the question I'd like to ask - should I push through the pain? Or stop/fix?

I am 186 and 5' 3.5"... I run just fine at a 5.0 (12min mile) on the treadmill. It is not your weight hurting you. It may be that you are "weaker" in your legs, but my money is on the shoes. :grumble:

YES... you heard that right the SHOES I have flat feet and over pronate....I have new balance WR860KM that work great :love: , before that I had some Mizuno shoes that had a little arch support. After walking two half marathons, I had a pain on the outside of my foot in the middle... all because of the shoe. :cry:

Go to a shoe store that will watch you walk/run: this will allow them to tell you about your gage, arch, and pronation. Then they will recommend shoes that are what your feet need. With the right shoes running is just like walking :bigsmile:
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    Its quite normal when you are new to running to feel discomfort - for the main its nothing horrific but conditioning of the muscles in your legs. Until you build up the muscle you need to run effectively you may continue to feel discomfort for a while yet. Make sure you are stretching after your run - stretch after your run and then after you have cooled down as well. You can try ice on the sore parts or if you are brave ice baths. Check your shoes are correct for your style of running, you may need a more supportive shoe. Also if it hurts ALOT when you run, regardless of the programme - don't push it slow down, walk, stretch and try again. Listen to your body you probably do know the difference between that satisfying ache of working out - and that niggling pain that you've done something bad through injury - so trust your instincts and if its still hurting come the next workout - don't be afraid to not do the run and opt for a bike ride instead.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    First, aches and pains are normal when you start something new and running is notorious for making one bit or another of nearly everybody's legs hurt! If it's too painful for now, take an NSAID, rest and ice, and Google some running stretches. Don't be afraid to repeat a week of C25K if you found a week tough or had a break through discomfort.

Check the way your feet land - a lot of beginners aim for an exaggerated heel-toe action, when you may be more comfortable with a mid-foot landing.

Check out my blog for beginner's running advice, include niggling pain:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck!
  • spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A couple of other tips. Stretching before and after is a must. When you are running try not to take short choppy steps & try not to 'over-stride' as these can cause extra stress on your legs. If you are running outside NEVER run on concrete, it very hard on your legs. Try to run on pavement or grass, or if possible run on a track.

I also had this problem when I started running and I just ran through it. I agree that a correct fitted running shoe it a MUST! I also used a running insert in my shoes for a little extra padding until my legs were healed.
  • RGJeff
    RGJeff Posts: 32
    Options
    I would take the body builder's approach. Rest for 4 days after the painful run. ( Go ahead and walk those days) Your body builds when it's at rest. When you re-work the muscles too soon, you just wreck the partially re-built muscle over and over again with poor results. With a nice rest period, those newer bigger stronger muscles are allowed to fully develop. Repeat as necessary until you are up to speed. Joints and other things will probably appreciate the time as well.

I am currently going through this exact issue and I am trying this approach. Its been four days and my legs feel pretty good again, running tomorrow....