What do you eat before an early morning workout?

Options
I recently switched from morning workouts (9am) to EARLY morning workouts (5:30am) I know I need to provide my body with some fuel before a workout but I'm finding it hard to force down a meal at 5am.

What is your go to morning meal before workouts?

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out in the morning, which I've had to do all week, I don't eat until I get back home.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    For anything that early I don't bother. The body is well fueled as it is. I wont do a run longer than maybe 10 miles without eating something, but for anything else (say short of 1.5 hrs) I will just do without eating. Then have a good breakfast afterwards.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nothing, maybe a little caffeine, but no real "fuel"... I've got plenty of stored energy from dinner the night before.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat before a workout unless you're feeling ill from having an empty stomach, or you're having issues with low blood sugar, etc.

I usually wait until after to have something. Usually a latte - protein, carb, fat and caffeine. Practically perfect, IMO.

So, go without until later if you want. On the few occasions I eat first, I'll grab a bite or two of an oatmeal cookie or granola or similar item. Just enough to quiet a growling stomach.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't. Fasting cardio.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    An egg with either cottage cheese or Greek yougurt.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Nothing but a cup of coffee.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If I train super early I have a coffee blended with coconut oil and gelatin. I save my food for later...

I don't often train in the morning, and usually have lots of carbs at night so figure I'm fuelled up enough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't have anything if I'm training that early...which is rare. My workouts suck when they're that early. The most I do at 5:30 AM is walk my dog and I can do that while enjoying my coffee.
  • joshuabrierly
    joshuabrierly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Caffeine and some sort of simple carb (eggo waffle or a pop tart generally) for me. Been doing the 5 am lifting for a couple years now. After the first two or three weeks, I can't imagine going back to afternoon/evening sessions. Good luck!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If it is cardio, usually nothing. Crossfit, maybe a banana and some BCAA. Lifting, extra coffee, maybe two bananas and some BCAA.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    before 5 am personal training sessions, i either eat an egg on a piece of toast, or a piece of toast with peanut butter, or 1/2 of a green smoothie and save the other half for after. I can't go on an empty stomach because I get dizzy if I do.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's when I usually workout and I don't eat anything beforehand. I usually finish up around 6:45, take my shower and all and then eat around 7:30.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It may also depend on what you ate the day before, and how late you ate. I had my best workout in a LONG time earlier this week - only a glass of milk before I went, but the night before I didn't get much for supper and had a peanut butter and banana sandwich along with a glass of milk late in the evening.
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I workout that early. If I'm running (not more than about 4 miles) I just drink water and that's it. If I'm lifting I find half a can of Coke gives me enough sugar & caffeine to get through my 40 min workout.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I work out that early (5:15 am :# ) and I don't eat anything. I do cardio & some strength training. I'm not even hungry that early, I usually end up eating a small breakfast when I get to work... usually around 9:30 am.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    c4 pre workout and lots of water before- 75 grams of protein after
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    single slice of toast with some peanut butter
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I can make an egg white muffin in about five minutes. Eat that and down a diet soda on the way to the gym. I only do early morning on weekends and those sessions tend to last 2 hours. Not eating anything is not an option for me. I am ravenous in the morning. :open_mouth:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5AM and head to the gym. I just drink coffee.

If, however, I'm feeling particularly hungry (which isn't typical), I'll eat a banana.