Half Marathon Training

Options
It seems several of us are training for HM's coming up, so I made a Topic for us.

I don't race HM, I just kind of jog-walk my way through it, so you won't see any Speed-workouts from me.

I am 19-weeks until my first of three HMs scheduled.

How about you?

Replies

• DRay64
    DRay64 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I want to do a HM next June here in Buffalo. Have never done one before and I don't run so not sure how that will work. How do you train for something like that? What type of schedule should I be on for training?
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Starting June 8th, I will begin training for a 5K with a local group, Footworks.

September 10th, I start the HM training . this is an 18 week training program, the HM is on January 29th!!!!!!!!!! (yikes... did I mention I am not a runner at all)
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I am running my first HM at the end of August. I just ran my first 10k-posted a really decent time (58:43-but I have done it at 57:00). I am just increasing my long runs a little more every week to work myself up to the HM distance. I would like to run it (I don't walk hardly ever) in 2:15:00 but my dream (...sigh...) is to run in 2:00:00.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My daughter talked me into running a marathon with her this Nov. So, I am training for that as well as a 5K I originally had targeted in Aug. I have never run a half before but I might do one in Jan just to see how I can do.
  • njrower
    njrower Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am staring Jul 10 th for the ING Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Philly on September 18. 10 weeks is a short training period, but this will be my 4th Half, so I am comfortable with it. First timers should train a minimum of 12 weeks and maybe even 14 weeks.
  • runninginplace
    runninginplace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My wife and I will be running our first Half Marathon in October. We are sort of using the Jeff Galloway training style. It's a run-walk method that slowing builds you up to longer distances. I too will not be trying for any fast times, I just want to finish!
  • loulou_88
    loulou_88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first half marathon (21KM) which is on July 24th, I run everyday but only about 10KM, let the training begin!
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I am not signed up for a half yet but my goal is to do one by the end of the summer or early fall. I have a 10k in 1.5 weeks that will get me started on the journey. I really would enjoy being part of the group so I can get ideas for workouts, hold myself accountable and find support.

There is a 15k race on July 9th that I would also like to use as a stepping stone. This would be the longest race I have ever done!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Mine's not until October, but I'm trying to get comfortable with a 10K distance to tick over through summer before I push up the mileage
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Bump (to read later)
  • tanyamg
    tanyamg Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Check out runnerswolrd.com, they have a section where you can create a training program. It's called smart coach I believe, it involves a lot of crosstraining, a slow build up of miles, and some speed runs. Go for it!
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    How long do most people train for a full marathon?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    How long do most people train for a full marathon?
    Standard training programmes are 16 weeks.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I'm beginning training for a half-tri on October 9th. I've never done any of the 3 competitively. :ohwell:
  • jizenna
    jizenna Posts: 49
    Options
    Check out runnerswolrd.com, they have a section where you can create a training program. It's called smart coach I believe, it involves a lot of crosstraining, a slow build up of miles, and some speed runs. Go for it!

I saw this app for my phone, haven't used it yet, but it looks like a great program.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Got my goal one in mind for the end of the year. I think I might sign up for the Walt Disney World Half Marathon in January as well.
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've got Napa to Sonoma Half coming up in July. This will be my 6th half. For the previous ones I used the Galloway run/walk training. This one I'm training to run straight through.
  • sophiej24
    sophiej24 Posts: 5
    Options
    My friends have convinced me to attempt one next spring. I haven't promised that I'll be able to run the whole way but I'm going to give it a go and see how far I get. A couple of us are complete newbie runners and are slowly working ourselves up. We've hit the 2 mile mark so far, so feeling relatively positive and haven't injured myself yet (touch wood).
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Have never done one before and I don't run so not sure how that will work

I did a HM in 52 weeks, from super-sedentary for a decade, 40 pounds overweight, out of shape in all manners.

I did a Galloway progression and enjoyed it. I'd recommend it for Beginners.

8-weeks Walk-only Conditioning Plan (link is under the "Training" then "Half Marathon" tab)
    8-weeks Conditioning Plan with the Jog Segments he indicated.
    8-weeks of 5-K plan -- the Last 8 weeks of it, since the beginning was covered in "conditioning"
    10-weeks 10-K Plan -- the Last 10 weeks of it, picking up where the 5-K left off
    20-weeks of his Half Marathon Plan. It's only 16 weeks, but it gave me some much-needed wiggle room

I started with
    Run 15 sec, Walk 45 seconds, for the 5-K Plan
    and increased The Run segment every week by 5 seconds until I got to
    Run 1 min, Walk 1 min
    and then I increased it I think 10 seconds a week, something like that

In the HM I had built up to
    Run 3 mins, Walk 1 min

and finished the Half Marathon at that way.

I always go a Little Easier than I could, because I didn't want to get sidelined with an injury.

A very important part of training is getting to the Starting Line Injury-Free, well rested, well adapted to the distance.

www.RunInjuryFree.com "Training"

:smile:
    :-)
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump for later