What do you eat before an early morning workout?

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I do take my caffeine though..
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Nothing. If I'm doing a heavy workout in the morning, I'll eat plenty the night before.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    One banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter
  • jhonen32629
    jhonen32629 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A whole wheat or whole grain English muffin with some peanut butter spread on it. Or a banana.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5:00am workout - 8oz water, sometimes a caffeine pill.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    5:30 AM workout - a shot of liquicarn if its a quick 30 minute workout, if longer, a piece of whole wheat toast w/ peanut butter
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I've done runs, Bikram yoga, and strength training early in the AM and found that an empty stomach works better for me -- I would drink water and possibly take my supplements that early but as a rule it seems better for me to get the workout in and eat later. I am now running into another variation of this problem in that I come home from work hungry and eat dinner and then feel too full for my workouts in the evening.
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nothing--I don't force it when i am not hungry. But, I will drink a glass or two of water before I work out!
  • mildrede49
    Options
    nothing.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Depends.
    Going for a run less than 5 miles: cup of coffee.
    Going for a run over 5 miles: cup of coffee and banana or PB toast.
    Lifting weights: cup of coffee and banana, PB toast, or some Chomps. And take a shake or easy to eat snack for immediately after.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I work out at 6 am twice a week and one morning at 7:30. I take nothing but my preworkout mix.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out what works for you. I can bike 28 miles on a cup of coffee with a bit of milk in it, with a second cup of coffee at the halfway point. My wife needs to eat something like a banana or some toast, or she will become very hangry during the workout.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'll have a couple of swallows of the morning protein smoothie on the drive to the gym, then finish it off shortly after exercising.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    bryjess95 wrote: »
    I recently switched from morning workouts (9am) to EARLY morning workouts (5:30am) I know I need to provide my body with some fuel before a workout but I'm finding it hard to force down a meal at 5am.

What is your go to morning meal before workouts?

Coffee, water to get going. You could always have a GU or a gel every 30 minutes once you are into the workout if needed (depending on how long you are working out). Your glycogen stores should have enough to get you through 60-90 minutes without having to worry about it.

Or nature's energy bar - a banana before to top off your energy stores.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted if I'm working out that early, but I have plenty of energy reserves (ahem) and I don't work out in particularly hardcore ways. As a general rule, though, unless you're working out very hard for longer than 90 minutes, you don't really need extra fuel to get through it -- a workout isn't the Bataan Death March, you know? Try it fasted and you'll probably be fine; if you find you're dragging a little, have a quick cup of Greek yogurt or a ham-and-cheese roll-up. Don't overthink it because you're convinced you have to constantly be eating in order to work out.
  • TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Usually just my coffee, and water before my workout. If I feel like I need something, it is a banana, or a couple of bites of a protein bar.
  • boredfatman
    boredfatman Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I forgot to eat breakfast before a run the other day and set a pb for 5k. All I had was an espresso before setting out.
  • zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I workout at 7 a.m. I go to gym fasting. I do HIIT and resistance. The only thing I take is BCAA during and after workout.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    single slice of toast with some peanut butter

This, out of habit. Years ago when I was marathon training I often went without for early runs until one day on a long run in a forest just completely ran out of juice, in the pouring rain, far away from help.

Dunno if my middle aged belly fat would protect me these days, but seeing as I'm working that away, I'll keep the habit!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't. I've been lifting up to 2 hours, 4 days a week at 5 am without eating first. On the off chance I wake up starving I will eat one of those Gogo Squeez fruit pouches because actually eating solid food that soon after waking up makes me gag