• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    ^^^love the cartoon kick. Ha!
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    lol "Ash hungie" *points to tum*

I'd just suggest slowly not eating candy/sugar/whatever, don't just stop it and replace it with a protein source instead.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you think you're eating too much sugar, look at the labels on the foods you eat, and identify the ones that have the most sugar. Try to cut back on those, especially liquids like soda and fruit juice, and replace them with other foods that have fewer sugars and carbohydrates, and more protein or fat.

You don't need to cut sugar and other carbohydrates out of your diet to lose weight (most calories in vegetables are from carbohydrates), but if you do cut back on added sugars, you can eliminate a lot of empty calories.

And the fewer things with added sugar you eat, the sweeter the natural sugars in vegetables will taste. A good carrot or even a nice stalk of celery tastes sweet to me, because I add very little sugar to my food.

If there's something with sugar you don't want to totally eliminate, try portion control. I like cookies from time to time. But I have them with a glass of water, or coffee, or unsweetened tea, and I'll count out the number of cookies I want to eat (I buy small ones), and then put the container away before I eat them. That reduces the temptation to mindlessly keep eating until the bag is empty.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    How to kick... giphy.gif

I needed this in my life today.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You kick it by understanding that, scientifically, sugar and carbs are not physically addictive, not in the same sense as alcohol or nicotine or whatnot.

What you think of as a sugar "addiction" is really just a combination of:
    • Lack of willpower -- be honest, you wanted that fourth cookie more than you wanted to NOT eat that fourth cookie. This is one that can only be overcome with discipline and practice.
    • Foods high in refined sugar can tend to be very un-satisfying in terms of making you feel full or satiated, which triggers that reflexive desire for more. Try replacing your snacks with higher quality ones in smaller quantities.
    • A psychological 'addiction', usually in response to some other feeling of emptiness in your life. This is what's commonly known as 'emotional eating' and it's extremely common and best addressed with some form of counselling.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    For me, logging and eating reasonable portions of sugar/carbs with fat and protein. I think the fat really made a big difference. Sources I like are olive oil, coconut oil, coconut flakes, full-fat dairy, meat.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

If there's something with sugar you don't want to totally eliminate, try portion control. I like cookies from time to time. But I have them with a glass of water, or coffee, or unsweetened tea, and I'll count out the number of cookies I want to eat (I buy small ones), and then put the container away before I eat them. That reduces the temptation to mindlessly keep eating until the bag is empty.

Wonderful piece of advice. If I cut out everything I am craving, I will get so bad I'll snap one day and eat ALL THE COOKIES. When I got girl scout cookies, I divided them up into servings in little baggies and threw away the boxes. When I wanted some cookies, I only grabbed one baggie, and was satisfied. Never did I end up eating a whole box in one sitting. Totally have done that before!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Accept the fact that carb addiction is not a thing. It may feel like it is, but I promise it's totally not.

Step 2: Figure out the circumstances that lead to you eating what you perceive to be excessive carbs (I'm assuming you binge on yummy items?).

Step 3: Form new habits to circumvent those moments.

Step 4: Keep up with your new habits.

-> Totes "cured" (though technically it wasn't real, but whatever)

;) Go forth can conquer!
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I only crave processed carbs when I eat processed carbs. I'm not necessarily "low carb" but I know that if I eat things like Wheat Thins, Cheezits or saltines, I crave them so much more. I try to get most of my carbs from dairy and veggies and leave those salty snacks out of my meal plan. If I don't have them around or include them in my daily meals, I definitely don't crave them as much. Good luck!
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    When cravings happen, have some fruit, it's good sugar. And very few people would binge on a dozen apples... where as I'm guilty of eating a 1/2 pan of brownies, no problem.
  • mildrede49
    Options
    Thank you all...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    And very few people would binge on a dozen apples...

You obviously have never been apple picking with me.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    mildrede49 wrote: »
    I got it bad..... need tips to stop it.

I've been experimenting with a lower carb/lower sugar woe for a little over a week-take a peek at my food diary if you want some ideas. I've had no problem at all changing things up and eating this way, I even fit in 4 girl scout cookies today, and have only gone over my desired sugar grams by a few :) I've also been ridiculously full eating this way, and have had a hard time hitting my calorie requirements. I'm in maintenance so I don't want to lose weight (trying the woe for reasons not weight related), so I actually may have to stop my experiment, even though I'm really enjoying it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    All things in moderation.

This^

Moderation is hard!

I've done the cold turkey for a few days. Then I allowed myself 1 sugary snack every day. Typically at the end of the day (provided I was on track). Those 100 calorie packs are great (Oreo crisps...mmm). This made me prioritize...I can't have every sugary snack I want and lose weight. Anyway, this helped me get started on the right track.