Evening munchies

Options
I am really trying to cut down my portion size. My doctor advised cutting out carbs but I haven't managed that! Instead, half of my plate is veg/salad. Problem is, by 8.30pm I am stomach-rumbling hungry and it is hard not to reach for the toaster. Any ideas please?

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Are you using your calorie journal here on MFP? I always leave myself 200 -300 calories so I can have a small snack at 8.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not low carb, but if you crave salty get yourself an air popcorn popper or a microwave popper bowl. I like the (Presto) popper bowl because I can use a teaspoon of butter flavored oil for popping....that helps the salt stick.

For the air popped corn - a few spritzes of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray helps the salt stay on.

High volume....lower calories.
  • dgobbett
    dgobbett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I am hungry and need a night time snack I generally go for a low calorie snack, like a low calorie pudding or carrots w/ Hummus. That is not for everyone, if bread / toast is your vice then move to crackers something low carb, high fibre. With peanut butter (if that is your thing)

• grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is also a thread here that has suggestions for snacks that are under 100 calories. Blessings.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to cut down my portion size. My doctor advised cutting out carbs but I haven't managed that! Instead, half of my plate is veg/salad. Problem is, by 8.30pm I am stomach-rumbling hungry and it is hard not to reach for the toaster. Any ideas please?

Did your doctor suggest cutting carbs for a medical reason or just because he thinks you'll lose weight? If the latter, it's really not necessary, it just makes it easier for some people. If you haven't done it yet and don't want to, you're probably not one of those people! :laugh: As someone else above suggested, I just save some calories for an evening snack.

• fieldsey2014
    fieldsey2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas. Thank you everyone for your replies.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always save around 150 calories for a evening snack, if I didn't I would reach for rubbish because i wouldn't be able to think of anything else bar what was in the cupboards!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you like eating in the evening then just plan for it and incorporate it into your day as you would any other meal. I always have a snack in the evening.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Every night between 9 and 10 i eat 2 or 2.5 servings of air-popped popcorn
    Yummie and alot for only 120 calories per serving. I munch on it the rest of the evening. I use Kernels popcorn and butter spray and seasonings. They have all kinds from chocolate, sweet, bacon to cheese and ranch flavors for only a couple of calories.

With the seasonings i even make salad dressings, spice up my meat and flavor my potatoes with a bacon taste :)
  • fieldsey2014
    Options
    helenbenzie75 that is so true!
    I have been trying - and enjoying - the popcorn. I have never heard of the Kernals brand though. Thanks everyone. Happy weight loss!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Are you eating protein and some fat with your dinner? Like full-fat salad dressing, carefully measured and logged? Protein and fat both help you feel full longer. And you don't need to eliminate carbs. Just make sure you are eating whole grain ones and are eating enough protein and fat each day as well. By the way, veggies are carbs!
  • fieldsey2014
    Options
    Hi there whmscll! Looking at my nutrition charts I am probably not eating enough protein most days and fat on some. There are also days when I feel I have done really well but the chart shows I have eaten more calories in snacks (fruit, 0% fat yoghurt, veggies and a treat) than I have for some of my meals (vegetable soup for lunch). I wonder sometimes whether me meals need to be bigger and I need to eat less snacks but I feel like I'm less likely to pick on high calorie foods if I have planned a healthy snack.