How many cals for breakfast if your intake is...

Options
Jellyphant
Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
set at 1500?

I've always kept my breakfast under 500, or try to. You can check my diary; it's public, but I mainly just have really light things like greek yogurt, a bottled coffee, sometimes the occassional breakfast sandwich, or a single muffin.

I read in a Yahoo article yuesterday that you should eat 600 cals for breakfast with PLENTY of protein. I don't really know what to believe because I THINK someone on MFP caught Yahoo saying some questionable stuff when it comes to weightloss.

Can anyone shed some light on this? How many calories do you strive for for breakfast?

Replies

• roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    Options
    My calories are at 1570 so I try to eat at least 400 calories for breakfast, sometimes it is less depending on how hungry I am when I get up in the morning and what I decide to have for breakfast.

I never seem to eat the same thing everyday for breakfast it varies.

With that said I think it really depends on the person as each of us our different, just do what seems right for you.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the overall validity of yahoo, but that seems way high to me for breakfast. I love breakfast, it's an essential part of my day, but I only around 250-300 calories for at the start of the day (usually a whole grain cereal with milk or an english muffin or oatmeal with a grapefruit) and a 60 calorie yogurt mid-way through the morning. I feel full through the morning (and I'm busy in the morning - I'm a teacher and teach straight through from 7:15 to lunch at 11:00) and am ready for lunch, but never famished. So doubling my breakfast intake seems a little crazy to me, I would rather have those calories for an after school snack and dinner. But again, this is just my opinion!
  • elkano
    elkano Posts: 14
    Options
    My calorie intake is set to 1,200 personally. However, my usual breakfast is granola cereal with soy milk that comes out to around 345~ calories. I don't believe there is any set calories to intake for breakfast, so long as it's healthy and a meal. I'd say you're doing fine sticking to under 500, this way you don't overdo it and have calories left over to snack on healthy things later on in the day.

I've seen a lot of people around the forums that tend to like sticking towards 300-350 calorie meals in general.

The protein guideline sounds like a legitimate thought. More protein = more energy to start your day!
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I am most hungry in the evenings so I try to keep enough calories for dinner and a snack so I keep under 400 for breakfast (trying for under 300 most days). I'm often starving at lunch time but I found it is easier for me to avoid food at work instead of at home..
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    This is from a Hungry Girl email I just got, some good advice in here:

I was wondering if there are a handful of food-related rules that you live by. If so, what are they? Thanks!

Alexa aWonderin'

Hi Alexa,
    I actually get asked this question a LOT, so I've had plenty of time to think about it and narrow down my list to FIVE important rules. Here they are...
    1. Don't drink your calories. There's nothing sadder than realizing you just consumed hundreds of calories by sipping a sweet drink... and you're still hungry! For the most part, I look for drinks with no more than 50 calories per cup, and I always check the labels carefully for the total servings per bottle.
    2. The 80/20 rule. I live by it. It means that 80 percent of the time, I eat what I know I should be eating. And 20 percent of the time, I allow myself to stray a bit. It's important to indulge every once in a while... like, maybe, 20 percent of the time!
    3. Don't turn a bad meal into a bad week. So you made a poor food choice. You're human. Don't give up and throw in the towel just because you overate. Jump right back into things at your next meal. No biggie. Truly.
    4. Identify and avoid your trigger foods. These are the foods you can't be trusted around -- the ones where "just a few" turns into WAY too much; the foods that seem to make you hungrier and hungrier. Don't keep these foods in the house. They're too tempting and not worth the trouble...
    5. Don't make excuses -- it's all about being prepared. The Boy Scouts know what they're talking about! If you know you're going out to dinner, check out the menu online so you can plan ahead and make smart choices. And always keep emergency snacks handy -- in your purse, car, desk drawer... wherever you might need them. Then you won't need to make excuses.

I think you take note of no 1 !
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I try to keep all my meals and snacks below 400. I think eating 5-6 meals around 300 calories is perfect. It distributes my calories evenly through the day and I don't feel like I'm starving ever. If I do feel extra hungry at one meal I take a few calories from the other meals or snacks.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    They say you should eat a large breakfast to fuel you for the day. Dinner should be your lightest meal because you tend to lower your activity level after.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It is important for breakfast to be filling. There should be protien. But I think 400 calories is a good amount. Although mine this morning was only around 300. I had a deep chocolate vitatop with 1 T of peanut butter and 6 oz of milk.
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I always try to eat the smallest number of calories for breakfast that I can handle (while feeling full) so that I have the calories for later in the day. I don't want to get stuck with less than 350 calories for dinner. But my intake is set for 1200 so mine will be a bit lower. Plus, when I used to eat a lot of calories earlier in the day and had less calories left for the day, I was more likely to splurge because I was hungry and I always think that the few calories I have left won't fill me up so I end up not counting whatever I ate.
    Hope this helps!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    if you are only eating 3 meals a day (no snacks), you should have a relatively even split (~500 calories/meal). Personally I think having ~300-400 calories/meal and a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack (fruit, etc.) would work best. But yeah... as long as you are eating a balanced breakfast to jump-start your metabolism (>200 cal), I think you'll be fine.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day and I have about 200 for breakfast. Since I can't really control what I have for dinner too much because my dad does the shopping I allocate roughtly 700 for dinner, 400 for lunch and 200 for breakfast, and I usually burn off about 100 calories a day walking too. I know you're not supposed to eat too many calories in the evening but since I can't control it I just have to deal with it. Anyway it works fine for me, I lose about 1lb a week steadily. (:
    I can't imagine eating over 500 calories for breakfast, I don't even know what breakfast food would provide that many haha.
    Just do whatever works best for you though. (:
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Mine always hovers around 200, but I don't expect that as a norm for most people. :-/
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    My original daily calorie intake that MFP gave to me was 1540 but I changed it to 1200 after I lost my first 20lbs. I've always eaten around 400 calories for breakfast and that kept me full until lunch. I really watch my sodium for breakfast because my lunch and dinner are always high in that area, so I try to make it work out. 600 is a bit much, but I guess if you're having a nice breakfast like sausage, eggs, toast..that sounds about right but still a lot. They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I tend to save more calories for dinner since it's the only meal I eat with other people most days. So breakfast is usually under 300 calories. What makes the difference for me is to have plenty of protein. If I have about 20g of protein with breakfast, I won't be hungry before lunchtime.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I do snack during the day, sometimes with fruit, sometimes with 100 cal packs or almonds/other nuts.
    TRY to keep my dinner low, because I work out at night because I work late. 600 does sound kind of insane. I made sure to read the article to see if maybe it was refering to men only, but it didn't say.

I'll try to link y'all.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I keep my breakfast to aroudn 300-350 daily. I'm more hungry in the evening after a good workout, so I try and save my calories for he afternoon to evening I get a total of 1250 a day.

I'd keep to where you are at. I don't always go by what I hear, as long as what I"m doing works for me. :)
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am at my best when I have 1/3 of total calories* in the first part of the morning. Timing may vary depending on witch training session I am doing, but I always make sure I am fuelled up before and during the sessions, and re-fuelled after training.

I have made a concoius effort to fill up the tank in the morning and this has allowed me to feel satiated for the rest of the day and feeling full of energy.

By uploanding calories up front in the day I have found my weight loss to be more regular as well. I think it is because my body is happier in this way.

I no longer have that feeling of being always hungry, and I am obviously eating less! Bonus! :-)

I make sure I re-fuel after the evening workouts, but will have proportionally less calory intake than in the morning.

* I am putting 1/3 as my goals are quite high and vary from day to day depending on what training sessions I have planned.
  • jghoffman
    jghoffman Posts: 9
    Options
    I average 260 with the breakfast bowls that I make for the morning.

3 egg whites
    1/2 cup chopped green peppers
    2 strips turkey bacon
    1/4 regular shredded cheddar chesse

This is on a 2100 calorie a day diet. I eat 6 times a day.
  • tbrillard
    tbrillard Posts: 13
    Options
    I try to stick to primarily protein and veggies for breakfast... I don't like to eat carbs for breakfast as it always seems to increase my appetite the rest of the day. I have a daily calorie intake of approx. 1300, so I keep breakfast at about 400. I try to consume the majority of my calories before 3pm when I'm most active and have a better opportunity to burn them up.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    1. Don't drink your calories. There's nothing sadder than realizing you just consumed hundreds of calories by sipping a sweet drink... and you're still hungry! For the most part, I look for drinks with no more than 50 calories per cup, and I always check the labels carefully for the total servings per bottle.
    2. The 80/20 rule. I live by it. It means that 80 percent of the time, I eat what I know I should be eating. And 20 percent of the time, I allow myself to stray a bit. It's important to indulge every once in a while... like, maybe, 20 percent of the time!
    3. Don't turn a bad meal into a bad week. So you made a poor food choice. You're human. Don't give up and throw in the towel just because you overate. Jump right back into things at your next meal. No biggie. Truly.
    4. Identify and avoid your trigger foods. These are the foods you can't be trusted around -- the ones where "just a few" turns into WAY too much; the foods that seem to make you hungrier and hungrier. Don't keep these foods in the house. They're too tempting and not worth the trouble...
    5. Don't make excuses -- it's all about being prepared. The Boy Scouts know what they're talking about! If you know you're going out to dinner, check out the menu online so you can plan ahead and make smart choices. And always keep emergency snacks handy -- in your purse, car, desk drawer... wherever you might need them. Then you won't need to make excuses.

Great advice - liveable and doable.

Thanks for sharing.