Activity Trackers or HRM?

Options
Hey everyone,

I am deciding what is the best bang for my buck when it comes to fitness watches. I was looking at the fitbit Charge HR because it has an activity tracker and heart rate. My question is does the fact that it contains a HRM mean it calculates calorie burn more accurately? I find that the activity tracker I have now (fitbit zip) doesn't track many of my exercises properly.

I figured it was a combination between the Zip being just a clip on and not having a HRM.

I'm sure there is another board on this similar topic but I didn't see one so I apologize if there is one.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Also, I am just looking for something to get a better idea of what I burn, I am not really a serious athlete so I don't need something that tracks GPS or anything.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The HR function does not work all the time. Its for use during steady state cardio. You 'start' and 'stop' it.

Heart Rate monitors only work relatively accurately for steady state cardio - would not give accurate #s for stop/start kind of activity or sedentary.

Most trackers are going to estimate based on steps per minute and stats. As I understand it Fitbit is the more accurate of the trackers. You could add a heart rate monitor (Polar) for use during cardio and log that.
  • losingit4infinity
    losingit4infinity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info :) I was looking into a Polar but it is difficult to find one in the stores in my town. Any recommendations for a Polar? I can always purchase online if it works out to be something that works for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Are you in the US? Clevertraining and get a discount code from DC Rainmaker's blog. Or amazon if cheaper.

I have a surge. I am happy-ish with it. I've also thought of getting a zip or plain pedometer for a more accurate count and realized I was obsessing since I already have a phone to provide that : - )

Basically the fitbit hrm does not provide better burn estimates if you're not engaging in a steady state cardio activity. If you are, it does.

But so would a scorsche rhythm+ used with something like runkeeper. Or a Mio Fuse or tom tom cardio. All are wrist based and more accurate than FB and capable of handling HIIT and quickly changing heart rates.

You could also look into the vivo lines from garmin or the loop from polar if you are OK with chest straps. And the Microsoft band if you are OK with clunky.

Unfortunately everyone is on version 1 and 2 of all these things and we all know that versions 3+ is what we want. Having said that they are fun to use and interesting and certainly not a total waste of money.

Just don't sit there wondering why you have an extra 2k (or fewer 2k) of steps than you thought, or why your heart is pounding and you're sweating bullets but your hrm says 120!

BTW if your primary reason is a more ***accurate**** burn... keep using the ZIP or possibly the One to take floors into account.

Body placement seems to be more accurate than wrist placement.

though I don't often forget my wrist at home... so YMMV!
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love my Charge HR!! Mine seems to be pretty accurate, though no fitness tracker is going to be perfect. Well worth the $150 for a solid fitness watch. My only complaint is that it's not waterproof, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. If you are big into running/hiking or anything measuring distance, I think a lot of people would recommend the Surge over the Charge HR. I couldn't justify paying $100 more just for GPS, but that's just my opinion. :)
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i like my fitbit charge, but my son swears by his charge hr. its all a matter of what you like and feel comfortable with. my son did say at work the other one of the morons he has to deal with got his heart rate up so much his alarrm started going off
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Amazon... My husband has the Polar Loop. Paid about $75 for the tracker and another $40 (I think) for the heart rate strap. Polar A300 is another option, I think its the next model up for the Loop.

For Amazon, put items on your wish list and keep an eye on them. Prices change. And the other day, the A300 w/ chest strap was a deal of the day for $140. Normally $180.

Polar FT7 and FT4 I think are their heart rate monitor watches, not trackers.

I have a Fitbit One, love it. Right now I'm comparing the A300 (bought the deal) and so far: Fitbit One is much more accurate. The wrist worn devices, as I've heard and now confirm, don't always count all steps. Like pushing a cart. But the HR function is great for cardio sessions for a more accurate burn detail.

Will probably return the A300. (Pay postage back.) I think my One is better at tracking, and the A300 confirms my suspicions about where the One is off on burn. Fitbit One tends to lowball my cardio. Which is not a horrible thing.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit HR for both the step counts and the HR monitor to calculate calories burned. I feel like its faily accurate on how many caolories you burn as eat back my calories burned through excerise in order to meet my calories goal for the day and I've been losing weight
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    forbes.com/sites/wirecutter/2015/04/17/this-is-the-best-fitness-tracker-you-can-buy/

I just saw this article. Very disappointing!! Even though is says it's the best activity tracker you can buy it also says it's not reliable for heart rate during exercise. Not only that but it says devices worn on the hip is more accurate than on the wrist but this fitbit HR is better than the competition. It does not say how much it's off from the hip devises.

I don't see this as good news for someone who wants to know their correct heart rate during workouts.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it :) It's not what I would consider an "activity tracker", but that hasn't stopped me from wearing the strap while I wasn't working out. I do a test every now and then to see how many calories I burn while at rest per hour, so that I know what to subtract from my workout calories. I love the immediate HR feedback it gives me. The only thing I wish it had capability for is uploading workout info onto an app or computer. But I still wouldn't spend more money on something else just for that. All the info is right there in the watch part.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I love too! I use apps like mapmyrun to track how many miles I've run and my speed.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My 3rd Fitbit Flex in less than 6 month has already started having problems charging. I asked my trainer at the gym and she has suggested the Polar for the type of training I am doing. I liked my Polar HRM used with the iCardio app, so the Polar is on order.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been using the UP24 since Dec. and had to get it replaced once already cause the button fell off. The only button on the thing that lets you use it's functions fell off..lol. I'm getting a Samsung Gear S in the mail on Monday. Not really a fitness band as much as it is a SmartWatch, but it does have Pedometer, Sleep tracking, GPS and a HRM that will sync with S Health (Samsung's Health App).

The UP24's app is great, but the band itself is kind of just there. If I want to see steps or sleep info, I have to use my phone and bluetooth. The app is great though and shows really good amount of info and has goals to keep you motivated. I think I'll still use them both though cause S Health is not the greatest app.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What activities do you want to track?
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    if it's accuracy you're most concerned about then the bodymedia fit is the most accurate tracker on the market, pricey though
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 from Amazon $79.99 and very happy with it.
    And a cheap step counter of $9.99
    Works both perfectly

and for me it was important to also have a waterproof watch and HRM strap.
    So win win situation for me.
  • littleblue2
    littleblue2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The strap went out on my Polar FT4 after 1 & 1/2 years. I loved that thing! I was researching replacing the strap and somehow stumbled upon the Polar A300. I had often toyed around with the idea of getting a Fitbit but I really like having my hrm and I love the fact it is waterproof. So me and a co-worker went ahead and bought the A300. I am really excited to try it out since I had such a great experience with the FT4. Anyone else have a A300?
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60. Having a heartrate monitor with chest strap was most important to me. Hubby recently got the Polar A300. Works great for him.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    if it's accuracy you're most concerned about then the bodymedia fit is the most accurate tracker on the market, pricey though

I had the first generation BodyMedia and I loved it. Best tracker I ever had but I didn't like how obvious it was being on worn on my arm. I didn't mind it so much in the gym or under clothing but in Vegas temps I am sleeveless most of the time.

I also have the Loop which I am now just wearing as an activity tracker. I never really loved it from the day I got it and it didnt' always sync to the chest strap and I didn't like the feedback and having to push the button to get my heart rate during exercise. I've since gone back to wearing my F11 during exercise and I'm happy with that and being able to have the screen give me constant feedback without pushing buttons during a session. Plus when I end my session the calories burned are right there versus the Loop and having to sync with the phone, etc.

I though I would like the tracker aspect more when I got the Loop and being able to retire my F11 but it didn't work out that way and for my lifestyle wearing a tracker is not going to get me to take more steps during the day as I have an office job and wouldn't meet my tracker goals unless I hit the gym anyways.

I do agree DC Rainmaker is spot on with his reviews. Very helpful.

• TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The strap went out on my Polar FT4 after 1 & 1/2 years. I loved that thing! I was researching replacing the strap and somehow stumbled upon the Polar A300. I had often toyed around with the idea of getting a Fitbit but I really like having my hrm and I love the fact it is waterproof. So me and a co-worker went ahead and bought the A300. I am really excited to try it out since I had such a great experience with the FT4. Anyone else have a A300?

I've been toying around with getting either the Polar A300 (I have a FT4 currently) or a fitbit. Please report back and let us know how you like it!