Can I get fit without the gym?

Options
I am 12lbs from my goal weight, but I want more than that. I'd like to be fit, added muscle and toning. The problem is a gym just doesn't work with me. Currently I'm lucky to get 30min/day for myself. So is there a way I can get my muscle work in and a fit body at home?

Replies

• Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Of course, there's tons of things to do at home. Pushups, workout DVDs or a Daily Burn subscription, chair exercises. Limitless, really.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Unless you're planning to lift a bunch, you really don't need a gym.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Look up "You Are Your Own Gym" - it's a program of bodyweight exercises you can do at home without any equipment.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    There's a pretty incredible success story on here I think called "what calisthenics did for me" - no gym! Personally, I'm doing the weight training program New Rules for Women at home with dumbbells.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I live in a tiny town far away from any gym (maybe an hour commute one way?) I've lost weight, gained a bit of muscle over the winter at maintenance and am in the best health and fitness condition of my life, all done at home/around my neighborhood. Body weight, adjustable dumbbells, kettlebells and a couple good pairs of shoes (cross trainers and running), playground, hiking trails etc, I wish I had room for a home gym but until then lack of equipment and space isn't going to stop me!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home. It's easier because I have a Nordic track, but I don't only use the machine, I have dumbbells and a barbell set, I do hatha and power yoga and I use kickboxing DVDs. No gym necessary!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    There's a pretty incredible success story on here I think called "what calisthenics did for me" - no gym! Personally, I'm doing the weight training program New Rules for Women at home with dumbbells.

Is that an option with the workout or are you adjusting it on your own? I only have dumbbells and have been thinking about starting a 'real' strength program.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I run outside and lift at home. I started with an inexpensive bench and barbell set and added more as I needed it. I hated wasting time driving to and from the gym. I love that I can fit in a workout without spending almost an extra hour on the commute. No waiting for others to finish a set, no worrying that someone else is waiting for me to finish. Sometimes I scoop the cat box or do laundry between sets.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Is that an option with the workout or are you adjusting it on your own? I only have dumbbells and have been thinking about starting a 'real' strength program.

I'm still in the first stage and have been adjusting on my own. I use dumbbells for everything but the lat pull where I use a resistance band (attached to door). I need to get heavier weights and do plan to use the barbell either at my gym or get one for home. So far, though, the dumbbells are working fine.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics have been around FOREVER and work. TONS of sources online too.

If you want to be trendy, Calisthenics are now called P90X, Turbo Fitness, Crossfit, or any number of body weight/body resistance principled exercises.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I haven't been anywhere near a gym in 2 years and am in much better shape now than I ever was when I went! So yes, it's completely possible! :)
  • AKM0282
    AKM0282 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would hope so! I can't afford a gym lol
    Seriously though, there are tons of other options instead of going to a gym to workout. I have dumbells and kettle bells and DVDs and YouTube and DailyBurn instead of a gym.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Not even really true. A bench and some dumb bells is alls you need for a complete workout. machines are nice but are not required at all. IMO, working out at home has more advantages compared to a gym. You have less excuses(the drive, no time, too crowded, etc) and can get down there whenever you like.
  • Seeyoubabyweight
    Seeyoubabyweight Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support. I am hoping to try intensity workouts, but waiting to borrow from a friend before dishing out the cash in case they are too intense for me. If not I will search YouTube for other ideas/videos. I am ready to do this ☺
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I do weight training at the gym, too, but I also keep up a pretty vigorous calisthenics routine, and it really does work wonders for me, especially for core training and quads. There are ton of resources out there on the subject. So go for it, even though lifting heavy is a great idea, it's by no means an obligation.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    search workouts on youtube.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Of course. I only use the gym for the weight room...everything else I do is on my bike and I'm getting into a little running again and walking.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »

Not even really true. A bench and some dumb bells is alls you need for a complete workout. machines are nice but are not required at all. IMO, working out at home has more advantages compared to a gym. You have less excuses(the drive, no time, too crowded, etc) and can get down there whenever you like.

Ah, I meant really heavy lifting, power rack type stuff.
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Insanity? Don't attempt it if you aren't really fit haha but the program was designed to use your own body - you don't use weights for it at all! And people look amazing after they complete it.. But it will kick your *kitten*. I used a different program of theirs which is a 30 minute workout (including warm up and cool down) and I've lost 15 lbs in my first round =) you can definitely work out at home with some weights and see amazing results! Just have to stick with a routine and eat clean.