Running a business.... hectic life.

Options
i'm sure that I'm not the only crazy busy woman. Running my own business of nearly 100 employees and nearly 50 clients leaves me so run down at the end of the day. To calm at the end of the day, I usually have a glass of wine while fixing dinner. Then, during dinner, I usually have another, or two. I don't have a problem with eating nourishing, low calorie meals.... however, if I have too much wine, the next day I miss my early morning workout.... and eat processed food or horrible fast food to take "the edge off" and get a quick boost of energy. Any body else out there who has or is on this same, insane, spinning wheel?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not any more; I'm an empty nester now with lots of free time. But I was a busy single parent.
    • How about weaning off the wine by switching to one sangria, nursed for the night?
    • Pre-package meals for breakfast and lunch. I have egg muffins and refrigerator oatmeal ready for me in the mornings.
    • That's all I've got right now. You are an organized, competent leader. You can treat your own diet with the same talent you handle your business and figure this out.
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Larkireland, welcome to My Fitness Pal.

While my business isn't as large as yours I can relate to the daily stress and struggles. Working 10-12 hour days, six days a week made it hard to slow my mind down at night. I also enjoy a glass of wine or three (cabernet sauvignon) in the evening as it helped me disengage from work.

Then things changed. My business partner died last August. My stress level escalated and I knew my sedentary life style wasn't helping. I had to find a healthier outlet. I started bicycling, and working out with an elliptical and weights. I also started to watch what I ate - MFP was a life saver in that regard. I still enjoy the wine, just not as often. I still consider myself driven, but now it is split between work, family, and getting healthier.

MFP is a good tool as it allows you to surround yourself with like minded people with similar goals and will help keep you motivated. I wish you the best on your journey.

MFP - Fifty plus (or so) Support Group
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    i'm sure that I'm not the only crazy busy woman. Running my own business of nearly 100 employees and nearly 50 clients leaves me so run down at the end of the day. To calm at the end of the day, I usually have a glass of wine while fixing dinner. Then, during dinner, I usually have another, or two. I don't have a problem with eating nourishing, low calorie meals.... however, if I have too much wine, the next day I miss my early morning workout.... and eat processed food or horrible fast food to take "the edge off" and get a quick boost of energy. Any body else out there who has or is on this same, insane, spinning wheel?

I hear ya! I used to come home and crush a bottle. I didn't own a business at that time, but I was in PR and agency life is crazy. Now, I'm actually involved in two startups.

Honestly, I just re-directed that stress into my workouts. I still have my nights every so often but, for the most part, I blow off my steam at the gym. I go in the morning (6:15) so no one can bother me and I'm tired enough by the time I get home I don't even feel like a glass of wine anymore.

And, also, I'm sure you are out and about some nights with clients or employees. I try to remind myself on the nights that I'm not out for work that I should take advantage of the time to myself to take care of myself - ie. not drink and miss my workout. If I'm having a super bad day and I want to have a glass of wine, but really know I shouldn't because it's only Tuesday, I take a hot bath or shower and the urge is usually gone. And, that also means I get dessert that night because I'm not wasting 500 cals on booze.

• larkireland
    larkireland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies and encouraging words. I would love to add you as friends.... I'll try to respond to each of you this weekend with a friend request. Meanwhile, thank you for responding to my post!