beating yourself up?

Options
Has anyone else experienced significant bruising after going from a sedantary lifestyle to exercising? I am suddenly covered with bruises!!

Replies

• lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never heard of that, or experienced it. What kind of exercise are you doing? Are the bruises from the workout?
  • xcharysma
    xcharysma Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i can say that i received a rash that turned into a scar from my under wire bra while working out. It reminds to make sure to wear a sports bra.
  • Brihammond
    Brihammond Posts: 29
    Options
    If they are coming out of no where, I would consult your doctor. That might be a blood issue or something.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i have new bruises come up all the time. it has to be from working out as i dont do anything else that is physical that could casue them....if it continues i might be concerned but i think being new to excercise could be the culprit.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    If they are coming out of no where, I would consult your doctor. That might be a blood issue or something.

So would i to be on the safe side...
  • frannyannemum
    frannyannemum Posts: 142
    Options
    I am developing a lot of bruising on my upper legs and upper arms. I have two small children so am always rushing around, knocking into things and not really noticing any marks at the time. I do think that some of it is from exercising... not sure how though...
  • mamadragon
    mamadragon Posts: 110
    Options
    Yup I have had that happen before. For the longest time I thought I was running into things. LOL. It'll go away but at times new ones will show up. If you are doing weights watch out since you can bump them against you and not know it.
  • Ty_1227
    Ty_1227 Posts: 40
    Options
    I agree about consulting a doctor, especially if you take any blood pressure meds or blood thinning meds. Really any time you're making big lifestyle changes like most of us are trying to do there are a whole host of things they will want to check - some of the basics being your blood pressure, resting heart rate, etc. and depending on how thorough your doctor may be, he / she might even run some bloodwork. (Lol oh the joys of having a nurse for a mother and hearing all about these things :P ).

As for the bruising, it could be something as normal as you naturally being more prone to bruising - I knew two old rugby buddies of mine would some times get deeper red bruises under the skin after extra-hard workouts, our trainer just said it was a result of muscle building and some of the micro-tears that occur. On the other hand, if they're on the surface and purple then it could be your skin reacting to even small impacts when you workout.

If they aren't tender to the touch I wouldn't worry too bad and just wait for the doctor to rule out any small possibilities of blood / clotting issues.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I do. I currently have bruising on my back that looks like someone was trying to beat the crap out of me. I'm also getting a lot on my legs. I'm wondering if the extra activity and all the water drinking (which if drinking to much can flush out vitamins as well as bad stuff)...if I'm deficient in something.
  • baddkitty187
    baddkitty187 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for respondng, I did have a physical and extensive bloodwork before starting this journey but the bruising persists wth and without tenderness after 3 months. I don't think I'm hitting myself on stuff, I use the elliptical trainer and do hand weights and aerobics and medicine ball exercises on the floor.