Back/Pain issues

Options
Okay, anyone do any exercises with a bad back. I will of course talk with my Doctor before doing any kind of exercise program, but I am just wondering if anyone has any advise.. Degenerative disk and bulging disk... Thanks Take care All!!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Yup, I lift heavy. deadlifts are the second greatest thing to happen to me.

Rigger
  • twinkling70
    twinkling70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose this flab/muffin top/ what ever you want to call it and with the bad back I am just not sure what exercises are the best and wondering what others do.. You do deadlifts ?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yup, I lift heavy. deadlifts are the second greatest thing to happen to me.

Rigger

Same! One of the only times my back doesn’t hurt is when I strength train. Deadlifts are my favourite. OP, it all depends on your doc. I do the Starting Strength program (deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows) and run regularly. It’s going great for me and my back.

P.S. @navyrigger46 Is the first your significant other? :wink:
  • mieche
    mieche Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to you doctor first, see if he/she will send to you physical therapy for a bit. A PT can help guide you to the right kinds of exercises for you injury.

I had a ruptured disc two and a half years ago - had to have surgery to repair. I had an amazing PT after my surgery who helped get me moving again and gave me great advice for how to move forward.

I would also suggest trying some low impact exercises to start with like Pilates or swimming. Of course all of this depends on which disc/vertebrae is the issue.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do to a bad back is to strengthen it. Your doctor will be able to point you to a good physical therapist, s/he'll take it from there.