Running and Hip Flexor Pain

Options
Perhaps a few runners out there can shed a little light on this and help me out a bit.

I've recently started getting pain in my right hip flexor after running and doing interval training on the treadmill. I've done this routine before in the past and never had any issues. I've always stretched out thoroughly before and after but now every time I run, I get this nagging pain in my hip flexor, only on the one side though. I walk @ 3.5mph and run sprints @ 6mph for 30s intervals. The walking doesn't bother me, it's after about 3 or 4 sprints that it starts nagging me.

I've done the typical first aid for strains and sprains and iced it, stretched it, heated it to no avail. It comes back every time I go for a run. The pain subsides within a day or two until I go for a run again. I have taken time off from running with a week or two at a time. Still happens.

Is it my form? Time for new shoes? What gives?

Thanks.

Replies

• leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you do execises to strenthen your core. The walking then sprinting is hard on the body. I know from experience. if your core is not strong enough then it will call on your hip flexors to pick up the slack. Also check with your doctor to make sure you dont have any underlying conditions.
  • rmirvine99
    rmirvine99 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have the same problem, almost exact work out as you and same pain. Did you find out what exactly was wrong, and has it gone away?
  • ibetsey
    ibetsey Posts: 6
    Options
    This may be a little off-topic but I hope you find it useful anyways. I used to do the run/walk plan and I would just kill myself! I could barely walk the next day after 45 minutes of that!

The BEST thing I did for my running was to take a gym class 2 days/week that does a lot of squats. I was having knee pain and general all-over body pain, even in my hips. I weigh over 250 pounds, of course running is going to be hard on my legs! After I started strengthening my legs, quads, glutes, and whatever the hell else is back there, my legs were able to handle it so much better. The soreness is virtually nil now and I can go longer and faster than I could before. So, you may want to look into strength training your legs. It made a world of difference for me.

I hope this helps!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    same thing here,I had to buy new shoes and it has helped alot.I also stretch like mad before and stretch during after Im warmed up.:bigsmile: