Back pain?

Options
RajwaJ
RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
I've had a bad back on and off for about 15 years now but since I have lost weight it seems to be a lot worse. So much so I am beginning to think that the fat was holding my spine in place. It feels so unstable now. Has anyone else experienced this??

Also anyone have any exercises that are suitable for strengthening the lower back?

Replies

• R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    pilates, absolutely swear by it as it's about strengthening your core muscles.
    I suffere on and off with bad problems-and as my osteopath and physiotherapists have pointed out -it's because my lower stomach muscles get weak which causes the spine move about more which then irritates the nerves.

it's worth seeing someone about it first though, as they can find out your exact problem and hopefully help to sort it out for you
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Your abdominal muscle help support your back. This is especially true of the lower abdominal muscles. Try these:

1. pelvic tits: laying down or standing against the wall. gently rock the top of your hips backwards flattening your lower back.
    2. lower abdominal crunches: lay on back, lift one knee till perpendicular to the floor and slower lower back down, then other leg. as you get stronger progress to alternating legs without a pause between, progress to lifting both legs together. progress to both legs together without pause between reps.
    3. bird dog - on hands and knees on floor. extend one leg straight behind you. lower and repeat with other leg. as your grow stronger progress to raising opposite arm at the same time. progress to constant slow steady movement with no pause between.
    4. superman - lay on stomach extend on leg of the floor while raising opposite arm. lower and repeat with other leg and arm. progress to raising both arms and legs.

The key with all of these exercises is SLOW and CONTROLLED movement.

*These are general recommendations and not specific for anyone person. They should not be seen as medical advice. If pain increases STOP doing them and see a doctor. I highly recommend seeing a Physical Therapist to help you with this continued back pain.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a Chiropractor since I was 19 (I am now almost 34). Maybe I should book an appointment and discuss it with her and she what see suggests Thank for the exercises.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have had back problems since I was 16. I hear ya its hard I had injections in December so I will be good for about another year before my leg goes really numb in fact they are worried about that so we still don't know if I will need surgery......however I struggle with exercise and if I were you I would go and see a doctor who specializes in this. I know after I got my MRI they said that one of my disc's is pushing into my siatic nerve (sorry don't know how to spell it). It can cause me to fall uncontrollably or fumble my steps, I have even fallen down my stairs cause my leg did not want to work. They gave me these nerve blocks which are not fun to get but after they start to work I can do things again. Unless I have these shots I CAN NOT work out. There is no way I will be in more pain weighing less or not! You may find there is something that will help so please go see a doctor!! If you have any questions feel free to email me
  • shellyxxxxx
    shellyxxxxx Posts: 143
    Options
    thanks for posting ive found it really helpful im too suffering with backache and didnt know any exercises to do so thanks x
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Thanks for this, I've had back problems most of my life too and will try out some of these exercises today.
  • EDuck
    EDuck Posts: 5
    Options
    These are the excercises given to me by my physical therapist when I was having severe lower back pain. They have helped tremendously! He also had me doing them on a large excercise ball to help with the strengthening (I think the ball makes you do them more slowly because doing them fast can make you lose your balance and fall off :)
  • EDuck
    EDuck Posts: 5
    Options
    Your abdominal muscle help support your back. This is especially true of the lower abdominal muscles. Try these:

1. pelvic tits: laying down or standing against the wall. gently rock the top of your hips backwards flattening your lower back.
    2. lower abdominal crunches: lay on back, lift one knee till perpendicular to the floor and slower lower back down, then other leg. as you get stronger progress to alternating legs without a pause between, progress to lifting both legs together. progress to both legs together without pause between reps.
    3. bird dog - on hands and knees on floor. extend one leg straight behind you. lower and repeat with other leg. as your grow stronger progress to raising opposite arm at the same time. progress to constant slow steady movement with no pause between.
    4. superman - lay on stomach extend on leg of the floor while raising opposite arm. lower and repeat with other leg and arm. progress to raising both arms and legs.

The key with all of these exercises is SLOW and CONTROLLED movement.

*These are general recommendations and not specific for anyone person. They should not be seen as medical advice. If pain increases STOP doing them and see a doctor. I highly recommend seeing a Physical Therapist to help you with this continued back pain.

*My original post was supposed to quote this. Newby here :)
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Bump