Over 55 years old and TRYING!!

Options
Over the years the weight has creeped on as arthritis grabbed ahold. I am ready to take on getting more active in spite of it and feeling healthier! However, the over 55 crowd frequently has a harder time losing due to metabolism slowing, not being to be as active, etc. Looking for support, advice, etc.

Replies

• kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I'm 60 and have lost over 90 pounds. You just have to log everything you put into your mouth honestly and exercise. Patience and persistence.....I started my journey back to health mid October 2013. I'm 3 pounds from goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, you've got this!
  • deety3
    deety3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 60 and know what you're talking about. I also have a thyroid problem to boot, so yes, it can take longer to drop the pounds. The medical issues can get in the way of exercising but the people on this site are normally pretty good at suggesting non-impact methods. Besides, it helps lots when you get constant reinforcement and encouragement.

Best of luck on your journey -- feel free to add me as a friend! :smile:
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just change your headline to "Over 55 and DOING". Don't listen to folks who say "the over 55 crowd has a harder time". All that counts is your attitude. I'm over 74 and Doing.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm 61, lost my 63 excess pounds and am fighting like heck (a year later) to KEEP it off. It's definitely a lifetime commitment. Grrrrrrrrr.....
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm 54, and I've lost 30 pounds in the last year. Although reading the posts about how the youngsters are now running in 5k's makes me wistful I know that even though my knees won't let me do that I can keep this off. Good luck, everyone here has been there and has your back!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Despite your drawbacks there is always a way. You face a wall? Who says you need to go over it or through it? Sometimes you just need to go around it.....a little detour. May take a little longer but your destination will be met.

Cliche maybe, but they often have a word of truth.....

I have only been here 12 days, but have found some great pals, joined a group and lost 4lbs..........It worth making the effort to be sociable and to track even if you blush when you logging it in......

You can do this!!! Amflautist perfectly correct - once you change the wording it becomes more positive. You don't try and lift a book to move it , do you? You just do it. You know you can. You didn't need to 'try' cos it within your capabilities.....and you knew it.
    So.........You can do this. Just by starting, you can do this....... <3
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    Despite your drawbacks there is always a way. You face a wall? Who says you need to go over it or through it? Sometimes you just need to go around it.....a little detour. May take a little longer but your destination will be met.

Cliche maybe, but they often have a word of truth.....

I have only been here 12 days, but have found some great pals, joined a group and lost 4lbs..........It worth making the effort to be sociable and to track even if you blush when you logging it in......

You can do this!!! Amflautist perfectly correct - once you change the wording it becomes more positive. You don't try and lift a book to move it , do you? You just do it. You know you can. You didn't need to 'try' cos it within your capabilities.....and you knew it.
    So.........You can do this. Just by starting, you can do this....... <3

What a nice reply. I love it!
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 63. I have recently gotten serious about tracking even if it isn't the best of foods. I have been going to the gym for 17 years but I wasn't seeing results. Once I started tracking I can see where I am losing my stomach. I lift weights 3xs a week and walk a half hour on the treadmill on the days I lift. I still have at least 50 lbs to lose, but I'm getting there. One day at a time
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm in my 50s as well and you can do this. Hang in there and stick around here. We're all here with you.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    I'm 3 pounds from goal.

Absolutely fantastic! Congrats!!