hiking to lose

Options
I'm tired of dealing with traffic while walking and am trying out hiking trails, as well as looking for someone to hike with. Walked Bull Frog Valley Pond trail near Hershey Med Center, Hershey, PA, yesterday for 2 miles. All uphill the back down. Easy trail as it is black topped. Enjoyed the babbling brook and daffodils in the woods.

Replies

• nkovacs1954
    nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That's perfect. We live in beautiful Southwestern Wisconsin in a town of 750...amazing scenery and routes right outside our door....maybe a cattle truck or John Deere once in awhile but almost no cars..yes, we are very lucky
  • hoecradle
    hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love to hike. I have miles and miles of desert right out my door.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I live in the Southern Adirondacks, which I dare say has some of the most amazing hiking in the United States. Yes, Yes, Yes, hiking is amazing exercise! I think it's good for the soul as well to connect with nature. Good luck!
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of hiking. I did hiking/walking, swimming, and lifting weights to lose 200+ pounds. Hiking can be a great exercise. If you go hiking in the backwoods alone or even with a friend, make sure to let someone know where are going and when you expect to be back. If you go hiking in the back country, make sure to also bring a backpack with lots of water, some food (I prefer raisins, nuts, and granola bars), first aid kit, matches, a knife, and some emergency supplies. I have a Camelbak backpack that I really like.

I have a nice walking path near my house by the river that I like that is a one mile stretch. I try to walk about 2-6 miles a day. As mentioned by others, hiking can really clear your head. I also do some mountain biking but that can be a little extreme at times.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hiking is wonderful. I feel energized and more calm for days after. I don't get to do it as often as I'd like. I wish I was closer to some trails!
  • ipastorsally
    ipastorsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Miss Kris, what state do you hike in? NY? If so, we maybe near each other. I used to climb in the Gunks, part of the lower Adirondacks. Beautiful, spiritual terrain.
    Peace with each step, soulful peace.
  • ipastorsally
    ipastorsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've had trouble locating trails too. It used to be easy to find them, now to access info you have to pay membership fees. It's frustrating. I'm hoping to find info on parking near access points for some nice day hike trails. My daughter tried to help and picked up what she thought was an Appalachian trail guide. It has a small map of the whole Appalachian Trail in the front. But not one trail description that crosses the Appalachian Trail. We have a least laughed at the false advertising. Most of the trails in it are parks in tourist areas. Not too quiet.