Is happy hour dead and gone?

Options
Hi, all! I'm new to the boards and frankly new to actually being accountable for what I put in my body. I've been at it about 2 weeks, and it is a struggle--admittedly. I DESPISE cooking and am a food snob (forget frozen/pre-packaged meals), so out of habit--I typically eat out around 6-8 times a week.

Since I've started watching my intake and exercising (slowly--still pushing myself at 20 mins/3 times a week), I've cut my happy hour ritual to twice a week (down from 4-5 nights per week) and a night out on the weekends. Despite my intolerance for the kitchen, I've tried become more consistent about making my own lunch and quickie dinners--which I can usually nail down in about 15-20 mins.

But I digress...I live in Texas, so 50% of the places I go are TexMex with cheese dripping from everything plus those seductive frozen margaritas. I've tried the Skinny ritas--which are surprisingly good, but those seem to be at more 'upscale' (is that an oxymoron?) TexMex places. My favorite dive has virtually no 'diet' options. I'm a volume eater, so the whole 'eat a smaller portion of what you really want' rarely satiates me.

Any suggestions on what to order/how to prep beforehand without losing my mind and gorging when I get there? My friends and I go here about twice a month for happy hour.

Replies

• angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this and rarely eat out, but I am very interested in hearing what others have to say. A Skinny Rita sounds so good! :smile:

Good luck!
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
  • LambornBetsey
    LambornBetsey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Does your favorite dive bar have vegetarian options? Sometimes there are veggie burgers and you can get a side salad with that and having a couple beers is very filling and delicious and low-calorie COMPARED to the more popular fare (ie: hamburger with cheese, bacon and fries.)

I live in Oregon and go to McMenamin's Pubs. I can order a veggie burger with no cheese and the special sauce on the side, a salad with raspberry vinegarette and one pint of Ruby ale and just have to be sensible for the other meals/snacks (I estimate that meal to be about 550 calories.)
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    I like any flavored vodka with soda water...
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    Does your favorite dive bar have vegetarian options? Sometimes there are veggie burgers and you can get a side salad with that and having a couple beers is very filling and delicious and low-calorie COMPARED to the more popular fare (ie: hamburger with cheese, bacon and fries.)

I live in Oregon and go to McMenamin's Pubs. I can order a veggie burger with no cheese and the special sauce on the side, a salad with raspberry vinegarette and one pint of Ruby ale and just have to be sensible for the other meals/snacks (I estimate that meal to be about 550 calories.)
    Hey, I live in Oregon too! What area?
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible to eat something at work - like a mini dinner/lunch - at like 4:30 or 5:00 (assuming HH is at 6:00)? That way you've eaten something - and something healthy - before drinks, so you're not starving + in I'M DRINKING - I MUST EAT NOW!! mode.... And if you want to have a couple of nachos, you won't be tempted to eat the entire plate.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE happy hours, but I fail miserably at going to them too often while trying to lose weight. Then again, HH w/ my friends usually turns into closing the bar down....but that's a whole 'nother issue :) You might try drinking something besides those delicious margaritas, although I know that here in TX we make the best ones, so they're hard to turn down! Maybe try out a few new mixed drinks....they will get you the sweetness, but without quite so much sugar. Also, try drinking a glass of water btw drinks. That way you always have something in front of you, it just doesn't have calories.
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You can always get a grilled chicken breast at a TexMex place and put some salsa on it. Guac has good fat, right? Count out your chips and only have a normal serving, like 10, instead of the whole basket. Avoid the queso. I'm in TX, too so I know what you mean. I would TexMex all day, every single day if I could.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Love, Love McMenamin's!
  • natmerritt
    natmerritt Posts: 4
    Options
    GREAT ideas about eating a healthy mini-meal beforehand so I won't be tempted by the bad stuff. Also, the grilled chicken with guac and salsa--sounds delicious!
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have found it extremely difficult to mix my love of eating out and enjoying alcohol with losing weight. I have been allowing myself some beer one day a week, and even that has seemed to hinder my weight loss. Good luck!