Get rid of cellulite on back of legs?

Options
I need some advice... I have pretty much lost all the weight that I wanted to lose. I am currently at 114 lbs. However, I would like to get rid of the one area of cellulite on the back of my upper legs. I have been doing seven different strength training exercises for the legs plus lunges which include: hip adductors, hip abductors, calf press, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls and hip extensions. I have increased my weight on each of these machines on a regular basis and try to burn out each muscle group with each session. I do these at least three times a week and do cardio the other four days. It is just a nagging area that I can't seem to do anything about. My legs are getting stronger and more toned but I just don't know how to get rid of that dimpled area. I am almost 40 and I know the skin loses elasticity with age. I am open to your advice, especially if you have had success with this. Thanks!

Replies

• Flocker1979
    Flocker1979 Posts: 96
    Options
    I've heard jumping rope and running (impact type exercises) help. I keep meaning to try jumping rope...
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I guess I do need to add one additional fact. I had knee surgery a little over a year ago, so high impact activities tend to make it swell/hurt.
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying a mixture of essential oils ~(juniper, rosemary, cypress and grapefruit misxed with a fragrance free moisteriser). I am applying it everday.
    I have been doing this for 40 days now and I have seen a great improvement in conjunction with my basic exercise routine (walking and cardio).
    But genetics plays a part too :-(
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    From what I read, cellulite is more genetic than anything. You might still have it even if you drop down to 100 lbs.. Doing heavy leg exercises isn't going to help get rid of cellulite. It's like saying doing a lot of crunches will get rid of tummy flab. Spot reducing is a kind of a myth.
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you ever try lunges? They work very well!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    From what I read, cellulite is more genetic than anything. You might still have it even if you drop down to 100 lbs.. Doing heavy leg exercises isn't going to help get rid of cellulite. It's like saying doing a lot of crunches will get rid of tummy flab. Spot reducing is a kind of a myth.

I don't think it's about spot reducing I think she's trying to build up muscles in that area.

Bumping because I'd like to hear some suggestions too
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    The only way you can reduce the look of cellulite is to do reduce body fat and stimulate the area. Do you know your body fat percentage?? If you are at your goal weight, you can still transform your body by building more muscle which will in turn burn more fat. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) can help with fat loss in the butt, thigh, hip area. Also...using a foam roller and stimulating the area can help smooth it out. Hope some of this helps :)
  • aimeeturner
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips!
  • SiobhanF2773
    Options
    Have you tried rollerblading? It's a lot of fun, easy on the joints, and hits that entire area! Early morning Yoga may also help...
  • sunqween21
    sunqween21 Posts: 19
    Options
    Brazil Butt Lift. It has been known to shrink cellulite from everyone that uses it. The creator is also the trainer for the Victoria's Secret Models. No joke. Its pretty low impact too so it shouldn't bother your knees. If you want to know more, send me a friend request on here!
  • lbtewksbury
    lbtewksbury Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz just had a show on this and he suggests Retinol Creme, aminophylline creme, and Kelp tablets, check out his web site , it was very interesting.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I had cellulite at 105 pounds because I was skinny fat.

I gained 5 pounds of pure muscle by lifting heavy and eating more and the cellulite is gone. I do heavy deadlifts (1.5 times body weight), squats and lunges just to mention a few. Lifting heavy did the trick for me.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Do you run? I find running (quite a lot) and having an almost fruitarian diet a very effective way to get rid of cellulite. In fact, I don't know any serious runners with it. It's just fat, after all, so if you don't have any fat on your legs (as most runners don't) you won't have cellulite.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Strength training, and massaging! yep, get you one of those bumpy massager things and rub the cellulite alot. at least that's what i've been told. but building muscle will help more than anything.
  • aimeeturner
    Options
    The only way you can reduce the look of cellulite is to do reduce body fat and stimulate the area. Do you know your body fat percentage?? If you are at your goal weight, you can still transform your body by building more muscle which will in turn burn more fat. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) can help with fat loss in the butt, thigh, hip area. Also...using a foam roller and stimulating the area can help smooth it out. Hope some of this helps :)
    Where would I find a foam roller?
  • aimeeturner
    Options
    Do you run? I find running (quite a lot) and having an almost fruitarian diet a very effective way to get rid of cellulite. In fact, I don't know any serious runners with it. It's just fat, after all, so if you don't have any fat on your legs (as most runners don't) you won't have cellulite.
    No, I am not a runner. I wish I were. But it seems that running tends to aggravate the knee. I do a ton of cardio on a Precor machine at the gym.
  • aimeeturner
    Options

I gained 5 pounds of pure muscle by lifting heavy and eating more and the cellulite is gone. I do heavy deadlifts (1.5 times body weight), squats and lunges just to mention a few. Lifting heavy did the trick for me.
    Sounds good. I will continue to increase my resistance with heavier weights. Thanks.
  • aimeeturner
    Options
    Have you tried rollerblading? It's a lot of fun, easy on the joints, and hits that entire area! Early morning Yoga may also help...
    Girl you don't want to see me on a pair of rollerblades...NOT coordinated enough! But I have started Yoga recently. I hope it does help. Thanks.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Great advice! I found that worked for me too. I still have some cellulite (hey, I'm getting older, ya know), but once I started weights, it really lessened quite a bit.

Another thing that helps is those lotions that are made for cellulite. I use one by Nivea (can't recall the name) but it has CoQ10 in it and who knows what else, but it does make the skin look a little smoother. (it's kind of like putting a bandaid on a huge gash, but every bit helps!).
  • Midori_i
    Midori_i Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is anyone ever going to mention nutrition? That is at least as important as exercise when it comes to changing your body. You obviously don't eat too much, being at your goal weight, but maybe there's other improvements to your diet you can still make?