HELP.......

Options
2»

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There could be a number of reasons for this. You mentioned that you have toned up so you have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat; you should measure your waist, bust and hip size which will give you a better indication on whether you are losing weight or not and not just base it on what the scales tell you.

Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat! It is just more dense (takes up less space). Imagine a grapefruit sitting on a table next to a lemon. Imagine that if you put each of those fruits on a scale, they both had a weight of 1 lb. That is what fat vs. muscle is like.

However, to address the original issue, I did look at your diary. I would suggest the following:

1) You are not eating enough NET calories.
    2) Watch your sodium more closely.
    3) And this is a big one - you are not eating nearly enough vegetables.

Don't get discouraged, 1-2 lbs a week is the safe way to go (8 lbs per month). Go much higher than that, and you risk losing muscle mass instead of fat.

There may be weeks you do not lose anything, but that could be from exercise. When you exercise, you get tiny micro-tears in your muscles, and your body may hold onto water that it uses while repairing/building them.
  • michelle2808
    Options
    help me understand NET calories...what should I be eating? Also, I'm a very picky eater and I don't like a lot of different veggies :(
    There could be a number of reasons for this. You mentioned that you have toned up so you have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat; you should measure your waist, bust and hip size which will give you a better indication on whether you are losing weight or not and not just base it on what the scales tell you.

Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat! It is just more dense (takes up less space). Imagine a grapefruit sitting on a table next to a lemon. Imagine that if you put each of those fruits on a scale, they both had a weight of 1 lb. That is what fat vs. muscle is like.

However, to address the original issue, I did look at your diary. I would suggest the following:

Don't get discouraged, 1-2 lbs a week is the safe way to go (8 lbs per month). Go much higher than that, and you risk losing muscle mass instead of fat.

There may be weeks you do not lose anything, but that could be from exercise. When you exercise, you get tiny micro-tears in your muscles, and your body may hold onto water that it uses while repairing/building them.
  • TheBrandon
    TheBrandon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You need to do this,

1) Pick your target weight.

2) Recognize your maintenance calories or the calories it takes to maintain that weight or target weight.

3) If you exercise 45 minutes a day and burn 350 calories exercising you need to add those on TOP of your maintenance calories.

i.e. 1500 calories to maintain current\desired weight. 1500-350 for exercise puts your NET calories @ 1150. The make believe target is 1500. If you are at your target weight do not go less then 300-400 calories a day absolute MAX initially. In this instance I would eat an additional 350 cals or whatever you burned as suggested lean protein.

help me understand NET calories...what should I be eating? Also, I'm a very picky eater and I don't like a lot of different veggies :(

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You seem to be wishy-washy according to your diet. Some days you are WAY UNDER what you should be eating and other days you have gone way over on your carb and sodium levels. You need to reduce the amount of sodium and carbs you are eating and increase the amount of protein, fiber and healthy fats you are getting. Chicken, fish, soy, eggs, avacados, apples, veggies, raw almonds, etc are all great options and you can do a lot with them. Keep exercising like you have been, but make sure you are eating AT LEAST 1400 calories a day and are getting lots of protein.

Also, you are not logging your weekends. It's easy to lose track of your progress on the weekends, but you need to maintain all 7 days a week. I would suggest rather than having a "cheat day", have a "cheat meal" one or two days a week and keep the rest of the day on track. That way, you're still able to enjoy your favorite foods, but you're not over-doing it.
  • TheBrandon
    TheBrandon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Exactly. A person can destroy an entire weeks work with one meal. Track everything.
    You seem to be wishy-washy according to your diet. Some days you are WAY UNDER what you should be eating and other days you have gone way over on your carb and sodium levels. You need to reduce the amount of sodium and carbs you are eating and increase the amount of protein, fiber and healthy fats you are getting. Chicken, fish, soy, eggs, avacados, apples, veggies, raw almonds, etc are all great options and you can do a lot with them. Keep exercising like you have been, but make sure you are eating AT LEAST 1400 calories a day and are getting lots of protein.

Also, you are not logging your weekends. It's easy to lose track of your progress on the weekends, but you need to maintain all 7 days a week. I would suggest rather than having a "cheat day", have a "cheat meal" one or two days a week and keep the rest of the day on track. That way, you're still able to enjoy your favorite foods, but you're not over-doing it.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Follow the guidebook that came with Turbo Fire. It was designed to get you through the program. It outlines how many calories you need as well as the meals you need to eat to get the right mix of carbs/fat/prot. You paid for the program so use it! :)
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options

OK, example - let's say that MFP gives you a daily goal of 1500 calories. That is the fuel your body needs to have for use for the day.

Come lunchtime, you have logged (eaten) 1000 of those calories. However, you have also logged 500 calories of exercise (burned). Take what you have eaten and subtract your exercise - that is your NET (the amount your body still has available to work with as fuel).

So in this example, your NET calories consumed is only 500. That means that if you do no other exercising for the day, you can still eat another 1000 calories. As a matter of fact, this is encouraged. You want your total NET for the day to equal to - or be REALLY CLOSE to - your assigned MFP goal. Staying too far under will make your body hang onto every little bit of fat it can because it thinks it will need it for proper functioning (otherwise known as starvation mode).
  • selinaosib
    selinaosib Posts: 3
    Options

• selinaosib
    selinaosib Posts: 3
    Options

Ok let me re-phrase: if you gain muscle and lose fat, you can still weigh the same but be much smaller.