Can diet alone help lose weight?

Options
Unfortunately I am unable to exercise at the moment therefore was wondering if anyone could tell me if I could get the results by diet alone?
I'm also veggie ( although eat fish) and my downfall is potatoes, crisps and bread which I know makes me pile on weight.
Has anyone tried protein shakes and do they work?

Replies

• xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 60lbs in 6 months just by eating healthy and being on a deficit. Ditch the potatoes, crisps and bread. Eat more fish and veggies. Also eat at a deficit and drink more than 2L of water per day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens with a caloric deficit. If you can't exercise you'll still lose weight, but you'll be eating less than you would be able to if you could exercise.

Those foods don't make you put on weight. Overeating those foods makes you put on weight. Overeating any food will cause weight gain.

Protein shakes are designed to bump up your protein intake if you struggle to get enough from food. They don't "work", they are just a form of nutrition,with a caloric value, which you can over consume just like anything else with calories.

Eating adequate protein will help maintain muscle mass and help keep you feeling satisfied. If you don't get enough through food (fish, eggs, dairy, other plant based protein sources), consider incorporating protein powder in to your diet.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    a calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight.

Protein shakes are for helping you reach your protein goals , they don't work magic

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Potatoes, crisps and bread are not making you pile on weight, over consumption of potatoes, crisps and bread is making you pile on weight, and that's something that is not an inanimate objects fault, it's yours.

There is no need to eliminate anything from your dietary intake, it's the difference in energy expenditure and energy intake that matters.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    xesixb wrote: »
    Yes, I lost 60lbs in 6 months just by eating healthy and being on a deficit. Ditch the potatoes, crisps and bread. Eat more fish and veggies. Also eat at a deficit and drink more than 2L of water per day.

Only thing needed from this is the deficit. You don't have to give anything up. You can also gain weight on fish and veggies if you eat too many calories. As long as your hydrated (urine color can tell you) you do not need to drink 2l of water.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As they said and everyone else will say, they key to calorie counting is creating a deficit which can be by moderating what you consume. You need to understand how weight loss works and then the answer becomes clear and makes sense to you.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Alot of people who cannot control themselves food wise like myself have a hard time. I lost 17 kilos in 6 months by walking and portion control. I didnt cut any food out I just ate it sparingly. I have since found the weight I lost and just recalculated my goals and I am following IIFYM as of tomorrow so I will be focusing on meeting Macros which I have seen alot of people succeed with. My turn :smiley:
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've lost all the weight I ever had to lose using diet alone. I have genetic exercise intolerance, which is a huge nuisance. But diet has never done me wrong. Of course if you *can* incorporate exercise into your health regimen, it would be *much* better. But it's not absolutely necessary. Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out.

I did recently start forcing myself to take leisurely walks around the block for a half hour every 2-3 days... but I'm in maintenance now anyway so it has no bearing on the ability to lose weight...
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    And protein shakes are only more calories. If you're not exercising to turn them into muscle, they're not going to do anything but make you gain fat. Protein doesn't just magically deposit itself on your biceps.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I always raise an eyebrow when I see "can't work out ". Are you enterly bed ridden? I don't mean to sound harsh. Walking or slow stationery bike cycling alone isn't going to drop the number at the scale but ANY physical activity is helpful in keeping you motivated. Think about anything physical, even seemingly small, that you CAN do and start slow.
  • jessicadb2
    jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I am unable to exercise at the moment therefore was wondering if anyone could tell me if I could get the results by diet alone?
    I'm also veggie ( although eat fish) and my downfall is potatoes, crisps and bread which I know makes me pile on weight.

Yes, you can. I have lost over 10 lbs just dieting. I want to start exercising eventually, but right now it is kind of difficult because i am very obese.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are not a vegetarian if you eat fish, but a pescetarian.

Nothing in particular makes you gain weight. Too many calories make you gain weight.

You can lose weight by eating less or moving more or both.

Protein shakes is for getting additional protein. That's all they do.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yes it can
    Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.

I have lost the first time without exercising. I started training after some time. Just what i could do. Walking some very light lifting
    Now i walk/jog and swim on a daily base....which helps even more. You start to feel much better too.

But it can be done with diet alone.

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you can't exercise you will lose muscle along with fat. You won't be as healthy as someone who exercises, but you will be thinner. Be sure to get ample protein from beans, tofu, etc.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I did NO exercise at all during my active weight loss phase. I started with walking, after I started transitioning into maintenance. I've been maintaining now for two years and I still don't follow a structured exercise plan because it just doesn't interest me. Right now I do some walking with the family every week and then I'm having fun doing quick and simple challenges-I recently finished a 100 push-ups challenge and I'm now doing a 200 squats challenge. After that I want to do a 25 pull-ups challenge. But in the scheme of things, these have very little bearing on my weight. I lost the weight and I'm maintaining the loss by what I eat :)