little changes that could make a HUGE diff?

Options

Replies

• beckyjmax
    beckyjmax Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What helped me most was fixing either veggies or fruits for snacks. If I wouldn't eat those, then I guess I really didn't want to eat that badly. Remembering that every time I wanted to eat wasn't a time to "treat" myself. I took frozen strawberries and put into the Snow cone maker I got at Walmart then added Splenda. Made myself a cold treat to eat instead of ice cream.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Forgot one...spaghetti squash is just like noodles when you scrape it out with a fork...tastes awesome too!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    i was thinking of switching to soy dairy products.... hhmmm
    whats better skimmed milk or like the low low soy stuff?!

Ive recently started bagging all food in my house in portion controlled bags (really anal but i live alone so by god it helps!) all my meat, pasta, rice, cous cous its all bagged in sensible portions and it makes things quicket and easier :)

also started having soup for lunch instead of sandwiches, all my pasta, bread etc is now brown, chocolate swapped for fruit.

also cottage cheese? AMAZING! a cheese fix with less fat :)

Be careful with soy milk. Some of them have a LOT of sugar, especially flavors like chocolate soy milk. Here in the US, I used to like a brand called Soy Slender because it was fairly low in calories and had very little sugar. Eventually I started having stomach cramping issues and narrowed it down to the soy milk. I was so disappointed and had to give away what I had left :( So for me it's easier to stick to skim (cow's) milk because I know that there is no added sugar to it. If you can't do skim milk, you can do 1%. 2% and up is typically not recommended.

As for my coffee (not sure if you're a coffee drinker), I still do half and half and Splenda but only do 1 Tbsp of half and half instead of 2. It's only about 18 calories, which is worth it to me considering I only have one cup in the morning. If I do drink tea, I either go without milk or do skim milk (no half and half in my tea). I live in the southern US where sweet tea is a staple, and while I used to do half sweet + half unsweetened (regular sweet is usually WAY too sweet for me), I go unsweetened with a little Splenda and enjoy the flavor of the tea itself and the lemon :)
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The menu diary here is the best thing ever. I look at each day's menu & ask myself how I could have saved some calories, fat & carbs, & I make substitutions. Instead of eating another huge bagel (white bread) & flavored creamer in my coffee, like I had yesterday, today I had Cheerios (love them - and oats are good for me) w/nonfat milk & fat free creamer. That's 165 cal instead of 380 cal!

Instead of sugar: Truvia. I love using the sweet/savory/spicy/sour balance that is in Vietnamese cooking, so I will use it in 'stir fries' (now I use a bit of water instead of oil to cook the veggies) along other seasonings.

Instead of mayo: nonfat yogurt mixed w/dry salad dressing. Right now I just bought Ranch flavoring. I add my own touches, too - like lemon or lime juice - oh, and Sirarcha!! Sirarcha makes almost everything taste better.

Parchment paper & nonstick aluminum foil instead of using oil.
  • julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    Have a look on your food diary and think what you could do to substitute, the ways you cook food instead of fry grill or fry with a low calorie oil spray. Spenlda etc !

Whoops realized the post above hadn't beaten me to it!
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    THIS IS A GREAT THREAD - I HAVE PICKED UP LOTS OF TIPS - THANKS FOR THE ORIGINAL POST!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    you are welcome!

im getting loads of tips to! lets keep this one going guys!

heres another, i've started using soy to flavour things as i think my sodium levels are holding me back. i do love my salt a lot!

also do you guys know you can make your own healthier crisps???
    slice potatos really thin using a mandolin/ cheese grater or even by a knife if you have patience!
    now you know those egg slicers?? detatch the metal bit so its just the plastic and stand your spud slices up in there, microwave dor 30 seconds at a time so they dont burn then allow to cool/crisp up. works a treat, the thinner the slices the quicker and crispier they are :)
  • CherryteaMT
    CherryteaMT Posts: 47
    Options
    A "big" little change I made when I lost all of my weight was to stop picking, like a pretzel here, a bite of the kids' sandwich there, etc.. Once I stopped doing that and actually recorded every thing I ate the weight dropped off. There is a huge discrepancy with what you think you're eating and what you actually are when you write it down!

Another one is to measure everything! Sometimes eyeballing is completely off!

ITA...after i stopped cleaning the kids plates i started to drop...i just give them a little less food cuz i'm eating a little less food...
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks, bellinachuchina, for the tip about Cocopops! I did a search & they look awesome - only 16 calories each?! Now I need to find a local store that carries them here in the Boston area. Their website is useless so I'm giving them a call.

I already switched plates a few months ago. Went to Ikea during their great after Christmas sale & bought all white place settings - that's another thing - having matching dinner sets (@$5 for ea place setting - I bought 4, in case of breakage) & really nice (also matching) silverware. It just looks so much better & puts me in a good frame of mind.

Yeah, I'm probably anal. But I don't care - it helps me, lol.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    its not anal at all! i started eating up the table as i take my time more and dont veg! i want to cook a better meal if its a little occassion and me time!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    One more...

Unsweetened almond milk in place of milk. It doesn't contain soy, dairy, and it's much lower in sugar than regular milk or flavored/sweetened almond or soya milks.

Almond milk rocks.
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Forgot one...spaghetti squash is just like noodles when you scrape it out with a fork...tastes awesome too!

Nice tip. I think Richard Blaise did this on top chef- half of the judges thought it was pasta.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks, bellinachuchina, for the tip about Cocopops! I did a search & they look awesome - only 16 calories each?! Now I need to find a local store that carries them here in the Boston area. Their website is useless so I'm giving them a call.

I already switched plates a few months ago. Went to Ikea during their great after Christmas sale & bought all white place settings - that's another thing - having matching dinner sets (@$5 for ea place setting - I bought 4, in case of breakage) & really nice (also matching) silverware. It just looks so much better & puts me in a good frame of mind.

Yeah, I'm probably anal. But I don't care - it helps me, lol.

Do you have any Wegman's near you? I'm in upstate N.Y., so that's where I get mine from! They are great, they *almost* replace bread for me in all forms...except pasta of course ;)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Spending more than half my day standing / stretching / moving at work instead of sitting. I have a workstation that I converted into a standing station. 'Tis great.

ALWAYS taking the stairs over the elevator.

Parking far away in the parking lot and walking. Also saves my car from getting whacked by others' car doors! Bonus!

Walking for groceries instead of driving (I live about .2 miles from the grocer :happy: )

Putting coconut milk instead of cream in my coffee every morning.

Your company allowed you to change your work environment? Mine would not allow me to,........
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Spending more than half my day standing / stretching / moving at work instead of sitting. I have a workstation that I converted into a standing station. 'Tis great.

Parking far away in the parking lot and walking. Also saves my car from getting whacked by others' car doors! Bonus!

Walking for groceries instead of driving (I live about .2 miles from the grocer :happy: )

Your company allowed you to change your work environment? Mine would not allow me to,........

Luckily I didn't have to change much - I use a laptop connected to a desktop monitor. So all I had to do was purchase a wireless keyboard / mouse combo and a stand for the laptop. So the setup is:

Laptop on a raised stand on my desktop, connected to docking unit (standing station)
    Monitor sitting on desktop with wireless keyboard next to it (sitting station)

I move the wireless mouse between the two stations. It works really well, minimal investment required -$37 total for the laptop stand and the wireless combo.

If you use a laptop at work it's totally doable!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Swapping fizzy juice for water

just died laughing at the term fizzy juice.

but some things that made a huge difference for me were
    1. cutting alcohol
    2. adding strength training if you aren't already doing so.
    3. avoiding soda.
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump.bump.bump.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Regular eggs to Egg Whites
    Ground Beef to extra LEAN Ground Turkey
    Soda to Water or unsweetened iced tea
    MillerLite to Bud Select 55 Cal
    White to Wheat
    Doritos to Baked lays Tuscan Parmesan
    no added salts in cooking
    fat free cheeses/cottage cheese/ sour cream
    Lucky charms (haha) and fruity pebbles to berry kix/blueberry special k/ and sugar free maple brown oatmeal
    fries to sweet potatoes
    NO fast food burgers
    stay as far away from the fried food goodness as you can and soak up the veggies
    GOOD LUCK
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Luckily I didn't have to change much - I use a laptop connected to a desktop monitor. So all I had to do was purchase a wireless keyboard / mouse combo and a stand for the laptop. So the setup is:

Laptop on a raised stand on my desktop, connected to docking unit (standing station)
    Monitor sitting on desktop with wireless keyboard next to it (sitting station)

I move the wireless mouse between the two stations. It works really well, minimal investment required -$37 total for the laptop stand and the wireless combo.

If you use a laptop at work it's totally doable!

It would be doable if there weren't a "Corporate Standard"...........I don't mind the investment.

They made me trade my exercise ball chair back to a regular chair because it did not fit the corporate standards.

I had this:

31kw3ONUDRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg