Piyo Workout

Options
Has anyone tried the Piyo workout which is suppose to be a mix of Pilates and yoga, if so what did you think about it...is it worth the money???

Replies

• cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've only done the first two... As for whether it's worth the money is subjective and depends what you're looking for.

Yoga wise my favourite will always be Yoga With Adrienne on YouTube which is of course free!

I enjoyed the PiYo workout and found it quite challenging despite doing other more high impact workouts and other Yoga. It's only as low calorie burn as far as I can tell so if you're looking to burn lots it's not for you. If you're looking for the benefits of a regular yoga practice it's not for you.

I think it will build strength and flexibility which I think is what it advertises itself as. I will continue to do it alongside other workouts but wouldn't do it exclusively.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I take PiYo classes and haven't done the DVDs, but from what I understand, the first two weeks of the DVD program are really slow. There are different segments (I think they're called something like "Burn" and "Sweat"?) that are super intense, and those are more like what my classes burn. When I log my classes, I calculate half of my burn from Yoga and the other half Calisthenics- it moves fast, there are lots of bodyweight movements and several poses that take quite a bit of strength to hold properly. If you have any fitness centers near you that offer BeachBody classes, I would try one out before buying. Or check YouTube- there isn't a whole lot, but there are a few workouts on there that would give you a good idea of what you're getting into.
  • tfoster76
    tfoster76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback
  • Kayciemae02
    Kayciemae02 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I took my first class last week and loved it. I will probably buy the dvd's eventually, cause I can't afford to take the classes as many times as I'd like to do the workout. $5/class will get expensive. But I like the environment, so I'll probably do both.
  • camz1wooga
    camz1wooga Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD set. The first 3 weeks are just ramping you up, which is great when you are just starting, the pace helps prep you for the last 5 weeks of the program. The workouts are great, and challenging even as you get better at them, there are ways to keep them challenging. I did the 8wk program, and then just started to repeat the last 5wks for subsequent sessions.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I thought it was really pretty good. My knee joints really are bad- so lots of squats and lunges just don't do it for me. with Piyo it was a lot easier to modify them. I did a 60 day plan, and lost good amount of weight(i think it was 15 lbs) and more importantly my body composition was changing(core was getting stronger, losing inches, etc). I officially get back on the wagon monday with another group doing a 90 day challenge.