What are the benefits of jogging

Options
I've just started jogging two times a week for 2 miles to begin with. I also work 3 * 12 hr shifts which are on my feet most the shift (on a hospital ward).

I was wondering what benefits people have seen while sticking to the calorie allowed?
For example change in body shape or increased weight loss

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Improved cardiovascular health, improved stamina and endurance, improved overall fitness level. You're likely to see some changes in your body, but body composition and changes are going to be far more dramatic with resistance training. Cardiovascular work is primarily for your cardiovascular health....

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    I've just started jogging two times a week for 2 miles to begin with. I also work 3 * 12 hr shifts which are on my feet most the shift (on a hospital ward).

I was wondering what benefits people have seen while sticking to the calorie allowed?
    For example change in body shape or increased weight loss

You need to consider your 12 hour (on your feet) shifts as part of your weekly exercise as well.

The jogging has the potential to increase your stamina, and build endurance. Not to mention, the elevated HR has nice benefits of training your aerobic HR zone(s). There will not be any increase in weight loss unless you are currently at a deficit with your CICO calculation and use the jogging to run a bit larger deficit than you are currently doing in the kitchen. Certainly, cardio can be used to help boost the calorie burn on the days you jog - as long as you don't eat back all of the calories that you burn so you keep the increase of your deficit a bit on those days.

Change in body shape? Running is typically an endurance activity and has the "potential" to morph one into a "lean and mean" runner's body (depending on your physique, how much you run, the CICO equation, etc...). That's not going to happen with 4 miles a week, but if you were to slowly build up to more endurance distances - the body shapes itself accordingly over time to the activity.

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well it burns more fat. And your body really changes. Your endurance gets better. Your abs lats get pretty strong too. Overall your body gets leaner.
  • hannah_godsmark
    hannah_godsmark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    By jogging around 2miles 3 x a week and lowering my calorie count, alongside a similar job on my feet walking around 14000 steps daily, I managed to lose a stone in 3 weeks. But mainly the jogging has helped me feel just generally better about myself, still a long way to go but defo stick to it girl!
  • boredfatman
    boredfatman Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This might not be the answer you were lookin for, but the emotional benefits are huge!
    I've just ran 4.5miles and its lifted my mood hugely. The pounds will follow!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Running can:
    • help to build strong bones, as it is a weight bearing exercise.
    • strengthen muscles.
    • improve cardiovascular fitness.
    • burns calories.
    • help maintain a healthy weight.
    • Feel better with stress relief.

Similar to lots of exercise.