My scale has gone crazy (I swear)

Options
So I'm fairly ocd about keeping my scale in the exact same spot because I have some idea that it makes it more accurate. And the other day I had weighed myself but while getting off accidentally scooted it across the floor. Just to make sure i hadn't done any damage I got back on it. Suddenly I'm 4 lbs heavier?? Got off and back on. Same thing. I tried moving it back to my Ocd spot. Still up four. I chalk it up to my morning insanity and move on.
Next day. Still up four pounds. I'm all for weight fluctuations but how does it do that consistently +4 after I'd moved it for the first time ever?
Today I stood on it, got a more reasonable but still higher than expected number. And then just for the hell of it got off and back on. Suddenly I'm 10lbs higher!! Within 2 seconds! Repeated this process and it read out the exact same 10lbs heavier number even after pulling the battery and putting it back

What is going on with my scale??

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it needs a new battery, or it's just broken.
  • LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you just need a new one, but I'm no scale expert
  • AndrewDKM
    AndrewDKM Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Time to retire the scale and get a new one.
  • skylarwalsh
    skylarwalsh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If it is a digital scale, you may need to recalibrate. You should be able to google the scale and find out how to do that. With mine, it's simply stepping back on it four different times. If it's not digital, I have no idea haha. Good luck getting it fixed!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Um, you need a battery.

You're welcome.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Start with the battery. Weight yourself again. If you're still getting wacky readings, it might be time to invest in a new scale.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use two 50lb plate weights to set mine. They're a little less variable day to day than I am. :)
  • peaceloveabby01
    peaceloveabby01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ok I just replaced the battery. I'll have to wait till tomorrow morning to weigh again to see if it's still wacky because I only like to weigh right after the first pee of the morning haha.

Am I also correct that it needs to be in the exact same spot everyday? Or if it moves an inch one direction or another should it still be ok?

Also it's a beuer digital
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Ok I just replaced the battery. I'll have to wait till tomorrow morning to weigh again to see if it's still wacky because I only like to weigh right after the first pee of the morning haha.

Am I also correct that it needs to be in the exact same spot everyday? Or if it moves an inch one direction or another should it still be ok?

Also it's a beuer digital

I move mine around...makes no difference as long as it's on a flat surface and there is nothing under one of the legs.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    stop worrying about weight and concentrate on your calorie consumption and excercise

Well, sometimes keeping tabs on progress by weighing helps with accountability and making sure you are moving in the right direction. I mean, if someone is gaining weight, that may mean they need to reevaluation what they are doing, and how will they know if they're going in the wrong direction if they don't keep track? There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself.

• knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have an eat smart scale, and it specifically says that it has to be recalibrated every time it's moved. yours may be different though. I would look up your manual online.
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    I'm not crazy with weighing myself. Typically once or twice a week. But it like JNV said , is an accountability thing.
    Mine didn't say it needs to be calibrated when I move it but I've done the whole thing of stepping on and off.
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    If I end up having to buy a new one, what kind would be recommended? I don't really have the money for one of those super fancy smart ones I just need a number.