Fellow Runners!!! I need advice....

Options
I want to run in a 10k that takes place in two weeks. I can run a 5k and I'm in pretty good shape. What should I do to train? Or should I just stick with a 5k because the lack of training time.

HELP!

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Usually you do not go up from 5k to 10k in one go, but I would try and run 7.5k first and see how it goes. If it is not about winning, but purely about finishing than you should be fine. Just keep on training and make sure you put rest days in. If something starts hurting I would back off. Listen to your body. Best of luck Stef.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, generally you should add 10% of your run each week as a gradual way to ease into longer distances.
    Here's a link: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/10-percent-rule
    You just don't want to push it too much when your body isn't ready for it. It can set you up for injuries.
    If this is really something you want to do, then go for it, but be aware of your body. Don't be hesitant to slow jog or walk.
    a 5k is about 3.1 miles. 10k is 6.2
    It might not seem like a huge difference, but it will be on your knees!
    And sorry, no training advice! Just protect-yourself-from-injury advice!
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's not ideal but you can do it, just don't start out too fast and be prepared to walk/jog some of it. I remember my first 10k and seeing two people at separate points struggling - one crying, one throwing up (nice) - both had started out way too fast.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Test yourself. Slow right down...as slow as you need to go to keep your breathing easy....and go as far as you can. You may surprise yourself. The way to increase distance is to slow down and go longer.
    You may not be able to run the complete 10K in two weeks time but you will complete the 10K run, so go and have fun with it. Start slow and stay slow.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You can do it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Before I started running I was doing 6 mile walks. I started running for brief spurts on my walks. I signed up for a 10k with the intention of run/walking it. By the time of the race I still had never run for one full mile. I ran the whole 10k, much to my surprise.

So I would think you could do it since you can run 3.1 currently, more than two miles further than I could.
  • geneh2968
    geneh2968 Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some how it changed to my husbands account...hold that thought
  • jenhoward777
    jenhoward777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There we go, now i'm on the right account....

I've run a bunch of 5k's, randomly ran a 10k, didn't train and I did fine. Ended up being about 7-8 minutes longer than my usual 5k time X2. If you've got time to train, do try running a few longer distances and try to find your pace since it will likely be slightly slower than your 5k pace. You'll be fine don't worry!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just do it practice if you want the worst you are going to do is a walk run
  • ashbashsweets
    ashbashsweets Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You all are so encouraging! I love it! I will be doing the 10k but I will make sure it will be injury free :)
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I bet you could do a 10k. Just set a pace that's slower than your 5k and keep going. Like barryplumber said, the worst case is you have to walk some. I'll bet you surprise yourself though. A runner friend told me, as I've been getting ready for my first ever race, that training and running is always different. He's a lot more hyped when he enters a race and it shows in his times.