Friends who log the bad days

Options
I'm back on MFP after a year pretty much away...and after re-gaining the 30 pounds I lost before. I'm really struggling with not over-eating; I actually go over a lot most days. But I'm working on it, and one thing that helps is logging everything. I'd really appreciate some friends who are in the same boat.

Replies

• JediMasterNaw
    JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do log my bad days, even though it makes me feel extra guilty when I see the numbers go over my goals. I know that sometimes I'll have those days where I overeat and that for consistency, I need to keep logging it all. Keep it up and you'll get there!
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes! I painfully log my bad days now, along with my after midnight munchies. It helps me to plan for the next day and once I realize how much damage I did the day before (or 12:30a), I eat better the day after! Eventually it should all balance out with the goals for the week. If you have 12000 calories for an entire week, just make sure you eat within that.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,965 Member
    Options
    I log it all too...
  • cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do log my bad days (like the past two days!) mostly because how I've failed in the past is by skipping days like that and then just stopping logging completely from there.

I'm on a 101 day streak now so I log no matter what I eat! X
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I log my bad days too and ive had like 2 of them this week and Im on tdee but im still under for the week so im not too disappointed in myself.
  • nurseginger
    nurseginger Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I log the bad too...its eye opening
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's scary to see the trouble I can get into when left to my own devices, but I log it anyway. I shouldn't be surprised, though. After all, here I am.
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I log all my bad days. Sometimes I won't do it all until the next morning because by then it's a new day and I know I can't do anything about what I did the day before except move on and start a new day :)
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I agree with you totally; it's especially important for me to log the "bad" days because that's what really helps me self-regulate.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was actually just struggling with this today. I had a few bad days in a row and I hate logging them because I feel like people are going to judge me for some reason (even though I know my MFP pals wouldn't do that). Feel free to add me if you would like and I will also work on logging everything including my bad days.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I log everything, good, bad or ugly, every day. But, I choose to keep my diary closed.

The thing to remember is, your body "logs" all the food you eat, whether you choose to put it in your diary or not. So, there is no reason not to log it. Your food diary is a tool to help you keep track of what you are eating, with an aim toward achieving a calorie deficit (if trying to lose weight vs. maintain or gain). The only way that this tool is useful is if you record everything you eat as completely and accurately as you possibly can.
  • gyal3
    gyal3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i make myself log the bad days- actually helps me from making the bad days a habit...self punishment if you will- negative reinforcement
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I really, really appreciate seeing all of this and the many people who have reached out and friended me! It's been a real struggle, and seeing people who have been doing this for a long time, with a long string of successful days, has been discouraging when I've had a week like this last one (and the one before, and before that...there's a reason I am fat.) I really, really appreciate knowing that there are others who are in the same situation. We can all meet our goals together!
  • robeylori
    robeylori Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log the bad days too.... got to hold myself accountable if I am ever going to shed this weight!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm at over 1800 days now. I log everything. Even if it is a holiday or a Party or a vacation and I know I will go over. It keeps me from going crazy with indulgence, and it gives me records to compare to gains and losses to help me eat more correctly in the future.

And I allow no guilt on days I go over. I try to keep over days to a minimum but it is what it is! I've stayed at a healthy weight now for 5 years doing this.
  • jmimpy
    jmimpy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 bad days this week and I found that if I log what I'm eating as I'm eating or as close to that as possible I can adjust for the next meal more easily than just logging after dinner or the end of my day
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I log my bad days. I even log my weight gains (weigh daily if I'm at home). Keeps me motivated. Last night I had a meal out and an approximated 700kcal pudding. I know its bad so was up at 6am doing 5.62miles!
  • tbiedermann101
    tbiedermann101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP, I actually logged the day before I started changing my habits. I did this so I would know what bad really looks like.

I also encourage you to not dwell on your bad days. Self-demoralizing talk is, for a lot of people, a contributing factor to how we become unhealthy in the first place. I like to use my bad days as something positive. I use them to reflect on what skills I still need to practice and develop. If everything was easy, we wouldn't need community support and MFP!
  • kdavis3071
    kdavis3071 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I log the bad days and use that to help me balance out my meals over the next few days after. Example: Yesterday I helped some college friends move and they bought us pizza. I ate it, even though it was SUPER high in fat and sodium. I used those numbers to make dinner and actually managed to still end the day pretty well. Use it as a tool to get better, but don't dwell on it!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to log the bad days because those tend to be the days when the food I eat is hard to log. Eg next Friday I'm cooking Pulled Pork for a mate's party. There will also be homemade burger buns and cole slaw. I don't want to weigh every ounce of meat or salad that I put in my mouth, so I'll have no idea what I'm eating. But I'll try to stay under all week ot make up for logging inaccuracy.