Ideas for mini-meals? 150-350 cals?

Options
Pootler74
Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
I'm working on ways to beat my tendency to eat when I'm not hungry. One of the tactics that seems to be working is to put off eating until I'm physically hungry, and then eat just enough to take the feeling of hunger away. If I'm hungry again 30 minutes later, then I can eat again. The hope is that it will eventually make me more in touch with real hunger cues and diminish the false hunger.

This means that I end up eating a lot of mini meals that are quick to put together. I just know I'm going to end up eating loads of omelettes and making myself fed up, or relying too much on snacks. So I'm hoping to pre-empt myself with a few things I can rustle up quickly that are also good macro wise. (Aiming for 40 carb, and 30/30)

Any ideas? You can see what I've been eating the last couple of days in my open diary.

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Chicken strips-depending on the brand 110-90 cals for 4 oz
    Sandwiches- Depending on the ingredients you use can be 160- 500 cals
    Fries
    Baked potato
    Most Veggies
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Flavored greek yogurt with a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Baked potato loaded with mixed veggies, sprinkled with a tbsp of parmesan.
    Small grilled Chicken breast, side of veggies and small sweet potato.
    Oatmeal topped with berries.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Omelets are one of my favorites for putting what seems like a lot of food into a small calorie breakfast.

2 eggs + spinach + mushrooms + carrots + butter for the pan is barely 200-250 calories depending on how much I use. But I'm always pretty full after eating it. You can put whatever veggies you want in an omelet to bulk it up without adding serious calories unless you're putting like, potatoes or something. Make a little cappuccino on top of that and a lot of times I'm not hungry again until lunch.

If you need protein, protein shakes can be made as big or small as you like. Half a scoop of protein + half a serving of frozen fruit for me is about 100 calories, but very filling. Or do a whole scoop + frozen fruit + peanut butter, that ends up being another 200-250 meal (just go easy on the peanut butter haha, actually measure out a serving because it's easy to overeat)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just making bigger meals, eating til satisfied and saving whatever is left on the plate to eat later if you get hungry? It would save on cooking and prep time. If you finish the plate you may find that you'll get through the day without snacking.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    sweet potato, oatmeal, low calorie wrap with veggies, salad, fruit salad with omelet
  • Pootler74
    Options
    These are all great ideas, thank you!
    I have considered making bigger meals and only eating a portion.at a time. (I batch cook a lot anyway.) But that wouldn't work this time. Mostly because the idea is to try to eat what I'm hungry for at that moment, and I probably won't be hungry for the same thing 3 or 4 times a day. And also because I'd probably end up eating the whole thing in one go sometimes and feeling terrible about it.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Back when I had gallstones I was unable to eat more than 300 calorie meals without getting very sick. I tried to keep my meals at under 250 and just eat 6 of them a day. Most were very low fat though so you might have to play around with it to get your macros. Some of them are:
    • 60-90 g chicken breast baked and steamed veg. No sauce, no oil, just spices
    • Fish sticks - 100 g or less white fish with herbs ( I use lemon pepper) and a little milk drizzled that is baked for about 10-15 minutes.
    • "Loaded" baked potato: Bake a small red potato and add chicken strips, onions, capsicum, mushrooms, etc.
    • Soups- vegetable soups were amazing. You can make a lot at once, but dish them up into correct portions sizes and freeze so you don't over eat.
    • Stuffed chicken breast- flatten a chicken breast and add about 1 tbsp of light cream cheese, fresh chopped spinach and roll. Cut into 2.
    • Egg white quiche (or whole egg). Make them in muffin tins. That way you have an easy quantifiable 1=x calories. These freeze and reheat really well.

I also used to drink a glass of water and divide and put the extra food away into lunch containers before I ate. That way if I wanted more and went back to the fridge my brain would be like -don't touch that, that's for tomorrow.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Slice of toast with 1tbs peanut butter and an apple
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    0 fat greek yoghurt with protein powder mixed in!
  • Pootler74
    Options
    daniebanks wrote: »
    0 fat greek yoghurt with protein powder mixed in!

Had that yesterday, but swapped the protein powder for peanut flour. O. M. G. Try it!

• Pootler74
    Options
    duckykissy wrote: »
    Back when I had gallstones I was unable to eat more than 300 calorie meals without getting very sick. I tried to keep my meals at under 250 and just eat 6 of them a day. Most were very low fat though so you might have to play around with it to get your macros. Some of them are:
    • 60-90 g chicken breast baked and steamed veg. No sauce, no oil, just spices
    • Fish sticks - 100 g or less white fish with herbs ( I use lemon pepper) and a little milk drizzled that is baked for about 10-15 minutes.
    • "Loaded" baked potato: Bake a small red potato and add chicken strips, onions, capsicum, mushrooms, etc.
    • Soups- vegetable soups were amazing. You can make a lot at once, but dish them up into correct portions sizes and freeze so you don't over eat.
    • Stuffed chicken breast- flatten a chicken breast and add about 1 tbsp of light cream cheese, fresh chopped spinach and roll. Cut into 2.
    • Egg white quiche (or whole egg). Make them in muffin tins. That way you have an easy quantifiable 1=x calories. These freeze and reheat really well.

I also used to drink a glass of water and divide and put the extra food away into lunch containers before I ate. That way if I wanted more and went back to the fridge my brain would be like -don't touch that, that's for tomorrow.

This is all fab. Thanks!