getting out of bed

Options
solivera87
solivera87 Posts: 13 Member
Getting out of bed on your only day off to go to the gym is one of the hardest tasks! I literally slapped myself this morning when i started giving myself an excuse so i wouldnt go! I only started 2 weeks ago so im trying to establish a routine...how can i make this easier for me?

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym might not be your thing. At least for me exercise has to be so fun that I can't wait to go. My workouts come at the end of the day when I really would rather sit in front of the TV sometimes. But I love aikido so much that eve when I am tired and sore I get p and go.

Maybe you need to find a class. Some sort of aerobics, martial arts, spin class, dance... something where you are learning a skill that just happens to also use a lot of energy. For me mindlessly lifting weights or running/walking in place would never work. I need to have my mind challenged along with my body. Might be you do too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I personally work out in between commercials while watching TV, or going on walks outside. I'm not a fan of being at the gym, especially when the weather is nice out. Try to figure out what you like, and make it work with the routine you know you can sustain!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Make your day off your rest day!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Make your day off your rest day!

Another ^^this^^
  • solivera87
    solivera87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the imput. I have been walking outside w my sister in law and thats nice and all, but if she cant make it i need to have a plan B. Thats why im going to gym. Since my schedule is so crazy ive been at least trying to go 4 times a week and this week i have had 3 rest days already. Thats the only reason i pushed myself out of bed. I will try a bit of all your advices. Maybe do some salsa during commercial and play my Just Dance on Kinet more often and def try to have my rest days during my days off. Thanks everyone!!!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Try not to think abut it. Just put your shoes on and go.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You may also be an evening gym goer. I'm most energetic in the morning, I'm an early bird, so waking up for the gym doesn't bug me. I also crap out after 9-10pm and want to sleep, haha.

My boyfriend is a night owl and there's no way he would work out with me in the morning. He goes to the gym after dinner has had time to settle...there's no way I would want to work out that late.

Once you find a routine you like and stick with it for a few weeks it'll get easier. I don't even think about getting up anymore, I just do.

Also a sort of trick that might be useful is to wake up the same time every day even if you aren't going to the gym. For instance I set my Mon-Friday alarm at the same time every day even though I only go to the gym MWF. If I sleep in on Tue/Thurs I tend to feel sluggish trying to adjust back and forth. Obviously you're allowed to sleep in from time to time, give yourself a break! But for me it's easiest to have set alarm times for weekdays and then do whatever on weekends.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am trying to re-establish my habits. I am still "rewarding" myself (with latte's or chocolate) Once I establish my gym habit I will reduce my rewards. From every work out to every third to every 5th etc.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym first thing in the morning, do you? There has to be a really good reason for me to get up early on my days off ... otherwise I prefer a relaxed and casual morning, and then exercise in the afternoon or evening.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Join a class that you enjoy. Helped me start and keep up my fitness efforts, and get comfortable with gym equipment.
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I prefer afternoons or evenings myself. I used to be a morning person, but various health issues have made mornings difficult. I do well to shower, eat, and get myself to work on time. I have found in the past if I find an exercise I like, as long as I build it into my routine somewhere, it works.